What's new

Dangerous road warning - Mt. Nokogiri

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hi All,

I did this ride yesterday and wanted to post a ride report just in case you consider doing this route.

Between kilometre 54 and 67 (before you reach the 411) the roads are in very bad condition and I would NOT recommend anyone ride this unless you have a cyclocross or MTB. There are sections of the descent that are washed out, meaning I had to get off and carry my bike across, large sharp rocks scattered thought the descent, very slick road surfaces the entire ride down. The assent was also pepered with sharp but smaller rocks, slippery roads so that you cannot stand because you will just spin out, and a very scary unlit tunnel at the beginning :rolleyes:

Anyways, I just wanted to give fair warning to all TCC riders.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1583002

Nokogiri-yama: Enter at your own risk!

... Between kilometre 54 and 67 (before you reach the 411) the roads are in very bad condition and I would NOT recommend anyone ride this unless you have a cyclocross or MTB. There are sections of the descent that are washed out, meaning I had to get off and carry my bike across, large sharp rocks scattered thought the descent, very slick road surfaces the entire ride down...

Anyways, I just wanted to give fair warning to all TCC riders.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1583002

That would be "Nokogiri-yama"!
That is one of the sh!ttiest roads in the entire Okutama area! I've been saying that since the first (and last) time I ever rode it nearly 5 years ago. "IT SUCKS!!!"
I am continually amazed by the amount of people who still suggest it as a viable option.
As a short-cut climb, for those who "absolutely must get back to Musashi-Itsukaichi from the lake-side, but don't have the legs to climb back up to Kazahari", then it CAN BE a possible last resort. Otherwise, it's a waste of time, and a possible puncture risk.
Not worth the effort, IMHO!

I did the long route out to Hinohara-over Mitoyama- around Okutamako the previous weekend and thought I would try something new, but it was a terrific waste of time. The climb has some great vista's and is quite challenging but the road condition is stupid, so I am with you here - first and last time for me.

no trouble at all at pools or onsens. i the chain grease washed right off with a little grease remover.

I did the long route out to Hinohara-over Mitoyama- around Okutamako the previous weekend and thought I would try something new, but it was a terrific waste of time. The climb has some great vista's and is quite challenging but the road condition is stupid, so I am with you here - first and last time for me.

Did Nokogiri Rindo in April 2012 and found it acceptable, see pictures here.

Either side of Nokogiri is fine for climbing, but both sides suck for descending! That makes it a once in a blue moon toge for me.

There is a section when going down toward Okutama that is literally missing, the road is washed out and now just a bunch of rocks.

Just an FYI

The climb was good from the standpoint of challenge, but it's condition just isn't where I want to put my bike. Perhaps if it was a cyclocross then it would be blast!

There is a section when going down toward Okutama that is literally missing, the road is washed out and now just a bunch of rocks.

Just an FYI

The climb was good from the standpoint of challenge, but it's condition just isn't where I want to put my bike. Perhaps if it was a cyclocross then it would be blast!

I agree with Pete about Nokogiri, climbing is fine but descending is not fun. (I was there just two weeks ago for the first time)

If you want to ride a good (i.e. tough:)) climb followed by enjoyable descent, I'd recommend Kazahari Rindo where the road is almost perfectly paved. Once you reach the top, you can descend in either direction - RH to Okutama lake or LH to Hinohara Vil.

Personally, the stupid idea of riding a road bike into a rough road is kind of attractive in a way. But this is not recommendable to everyone and has to be done at one's own risk.

Agreed.

Do you have a map of that ride?

Here's the segment from my last Sunday's ride. Basically you just go straight where you turned right towards Nokogiri. There's a sharp switchback you have to turn right that looks like this where the steep section starts. If you use Edge500's course function as I do, you shouldn't have any problem navigating through.

Back
Top Bottom