What's new

Help Daddy Bike

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
One 2 year old and another on the way. Wife has a panasonic denki bike that she uses and I have been on it a few times but it is too small for me. Looking for some interesting options for easy riding to the park or down the river a bit with the kids on the bike. She has a front seat on hers and a basket on the back. No doubt that will turn into two seats in a few months. But if we all go the park or something, I'd like to take one of them on my bike also. Right now all I have is my road bike and I don't like leaving that in the park so I never take it. I'm looking for a bike that will be fun to ride, stable enough with a kid on it (need to figure out how to get a kid on it too, cross bar seat? etc?). I'd rather gears than power and not really a mama chari type of thing. Any interesting bikes folks have used or seen for this purpose? At some point also, it will also be used sans kid as they will get their own bikes and we will take up duck formation.

been there, done that. Best advice, wait two years till the oldest can ride with you. The one on the way is not going to be riding a bike for another five years so keep the mamachari just that and buy an old mountain bike that you can throw a child seat on the back of. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-child-bike-seats-39715/
You'll probably be riding as a family a lot less than you think. Your wife is going to be tired and probably the last thing she'll want to do on a hot summer's day is carry a kid on a bike. Least that's what happened with us. We found driving to the park with a car load of toys and kid stuff a lot less stress.

The good thing about having a mamachari is the basket with room for junior's balance bike, other park toys, or just a picnic. Not many real hills between you and the park, so perhaps a non-electric mamachari with child seat and basket would be the most functional thing. Even when your kids start riding on their own, going to be a few years before they do it on the roads.

I've been using my wife electric mamachari for the last few years, It's way to small for me but I don't ride it for exercise. Just to get around with kids and other items, I hit the maximum power button and let it do the work. No problem. Like Simon said, my kids are now just able to ride by themselves and I am looking into buying a bike that I can enjoy riding with them that I can leave here and there without worrying about it being stolen.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah definitely a few years before they are cycling on roads. Thanks for all the seat links @George5 . I had't gone so far as to think about seats yet but I guess it is a major part of it. I'd kind of dig an old mountain bike. Never road one but they should be fun particularly when you look at @leicaman 's post also. Alot to be said for the basket too though I guess. Will ponder it and probably hit a LBS to poke around and decide.

Back
Top Bottom