What's new

Cyclocross Tokyo Entry Opened!

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Entry for Japans premier Cyclocross event opened today on Sports Entry:

http://venus.sportsentry.ne.jp/event.php?tid=33509

It's opened early, but don't be fooled last year this race filled up within a weekend!!!

There are only 60 slots per catergory so if you are interested in racing act ASAP!

More infformation can be found here:

http://www.cyclocrosstokyo.com/

For those that want to enjoy some live racing while enjoying beer and food..

http://www.cyclocrosstokyo.com/?page_id=3419

They can do so while enjoying watching the UCI pro's hammer thier way around the course and also shout abuse and heckles at the lesser mortals!

Thanks for sharing!
Just registered in C3. Still plenty of spots available, but entry asap recommended.

Awesome!

Btw at Nobeyama what writting system did you register under, Romaji or Japanese???? The reason I ask is that you would havee been issued a AJOCC number automatically that you can use when registering at some events it can get you a 1000/2000 yen discount.

Hi all,

I'm a cat 3 cyclocross racer from Boston, USA and I will be in Tokyo from Jan 9th to Feb 12th. I found a cross bike to borrow and will do the Masters race on Sunday at Tokyo CX. I'm SUPER excited.

I have no clue what to expect since I've never done a race in Japan and have no idea of the size and caliber of the cyclocross scene there.

I finish in the middle of the cat 3 field here in New England (strong cyclocross field and scene) and I just turned 40. Will I get destroyed in the Masters field or do ok? It doesn't matter as I do it for the experience but I'm mostly curious about the whole thing.

I just completed my 3rd cross season here and do on average 15 races during the Fall cross season.

thank you all and see you there.
JF

Hmmm not knowing what the caliber of racing is like in New England makes it impossible to comment. However there are a ton of Domestic Pro's and high level amateurs that will be racing this event.

The level of racing here in Japan is very high, basically balls to the wall and all out - many of my friends that visit to race durring the road season are blown away by the level here, so expect a very competitive race.

It's also a very friendly racing scene so you'll have tons of fun.

One thing I will comment on though is if you don't have any sand pit experience get some! There is a huge sand section on the course that even the UCI Pro's had a hard time on and this is what you should be looking at when making your tire selection.

I will be running Vittoria Evo XN on 50's if it's a dry course and the Vittoria Evo XM if damp or wet, both with low Psi.

check out the video here for an idea of the course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl1omjvkfEI&feature=player_embedded

I race for Champion Systems who are the organisers of this event so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Also there are two other races durring your time here in Japan - Shonan CX and Mistral GP, have a look it the race section and see if there are slots still available as Shonan will be good practice for Odaiba as there is also a huge sand section at this event.

Also there is one other race up in Tohoku - the area affected by the March 11th Earthquake. This is to help rebuild the area and bring much needed tradde to the area. If you want to race in snow this is the venue to do so.

Thank you so much for the info, it really helps. I have some sand experience but maybe not enough based on your comment.
Looking forward to it and thanks again.
JF

After my recent exploits at the 5th race of the AJOCC I've been promoted to C1 (Pro) category and will be up against the following riders at Cyclocross Tokyo:

• Jeremy Powers (Rapha-Focus / USA)
  • Tim Johnson (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld / USA)
  • Lewis Rattray (Giant Australia / Australia)
  • Barry Wicks (Kona / USA),
  • Spencer Paxson (Kona / USA)
  • Erik Tonkin (Kona / USA)

:warau:

Should be interesting to see where I place against the best in the world!

After my recent exploits at the 5th race of the AJOCC I've been promoted to C1 (Pro) category and will be up against the following riders at Cyclocross Tokyo:

• Jeremy Powers (Rapha-Focus / USA)
  • Tim Johnson (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld / USA)
  • Lewis Rattray (Giant Australia / Australia)
  • Barry Wicks (Kona / USA),
  • Spencer Paxson (Kona / USA)
  • Erik Tonkin (Kona / USA)

:warau:

Should be interesting to see where I place against the best in the world!

Wow! Thats excellent. Congrats, Bet your sponsor is happy, might be time to ask for a new team Toyota Prado.

Looking forward to hearing how you endo'ed in front of Tim Johnson and were beating him until then. Actually please don't endo.

Get out in front on the final straight, then triple decade to cross footed hitch-hiker across the line. It is the only way.

can't I just ride my bike?:eek:uch:

Gunnar looks like you will be 16th on the starting grid in your race.....not to shabby mate!

As usual Im at the back fighting my way up from 60th - being unseeded SUCKS!

Gunnar looks like you will be 16th on the starting grid in your race.....not to shabby mate!

As usual Im at the back fighting my way up from 60th - being unseeded SUCKS!

Can somebody get a gopro for this guy?! James tearing through the field will be like Michael Schumacher starting from the pits at a rainy f1 race.

I'm really thankful that I got in the later race, as my bike is still missing its rear triangle. Cable bosses will come on Saturday morning meaning my real race will be to build it up and get there in time!

Lol my team mate said that I'll be hitting the sand so hard it will turn to glass - I think they have a much higher opinion of my ability than I do.

I'll be there at the Champ System tent on Saturday early as I'm manning the booth as well as getting some sand time in and a few laps of the course.

What a weekend!

Tokyo 2013 elite men's Cyclocross

1. Jeremy powers
2. Takenouchi Yu (Japan National CX Champion)
3. Timothy Johnson
4. Spencer Paxson
5. Eric Tonkin
6. light kosaka
7. Atsushi Maruyama
8. Barry Wicks
9. kosaka Masanori
10. Kazuhiro Yamamoto

I rolled in about 25th with more top class pro's securing positions up through to 20th. Highlight of the race was being passed by Jeremy Powers, who not only thanked me for pulling to the side so he could take the racing line but he shouted encouragement as he left me in his wake.

I went to have a look at it all on the Saturday but my British disposition prevented me from saying hello.

I don't have anything to compare it to but the course looked tough, especially with the amount of sand running competitors needed to do (must have been about 1km or more in all?). A saw a few people try to ride across it, some with more success than others but I wondered who was using the most energy, those carrying a bike or those cycling one.

The wide variety of bikes there also surprised me. I had no idea there would be such a diverse array of wheeled machines. What were the winners riding?

For C1 category you had to ride a UCI approved Cyclocross bike. However (and this is something I love about CX) for C3, C2, and all other category you can ride pretty much anything you like (as long as it didn't have an engine :D) They did this to draw more riders into the sport, especailly as the Mtb scene is on the decline.

The course was horrendous, yet utterly brilliant! I wasn't too sure either what was easier as I ran some laps and rode other. You use totally different muscle groups so it was actually a relief to get back on the bike and ride.

I think the real trick was knowing when you no longer had enough forward momentum to break the sand ahead and then getting off and running and then knowing when it was time to get back on and ride.

Great Job Man!

You were placed dead last at the start. Next year you will get the points and start up there so you will have a different race. What a story too, starting your first season in Japan and making your way through the ranks to be racing against top pros within months. Chapeau!

This was one tough event. I will only be back if I figure out how to ride the sand. My honest wife later told me that she doesn't want to see me struggle pushing the bike so miserably. My memories: endless beaches, trying to remember where the chicanes are, crashing into a steel fence, guy passing me in the sand just to crash in front of me, winning a goalsprint.
Result: around 30st in a field of 55 c2 veterans after starting from last row. On my new custom build steel CX bike with disc brakes, which performed flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom