What's new

Race cyclocross / off road racing

I have the same Shimano pedals and they are rubbish. I've had them on my XC mtb for the last 12 or so years and had no problems. I have no excuse whatsoever to buy new ones. And that's why we cycle.... to buy new stuff. Yeah!!!

The counterargument I'm hearing for cheaper shoes is that stuff gets wrecked in cyclocross easily, so cheaper stuff you can replace easily is better...

Andy

I haven't done any cyclocross races, but I have been mountain biking with clipless pedals for years and years. I have even abused my soft MTB shoes as sneakers and went hiking with them. I still use them. Shoes are robust, although they won't look pristine for as long. But I wouldn't worry about longevity. Shimano XT pedals would be an obvious choice, although they do make SLX-level pedals as well.
Regarding pedals, just like in the world of road bikes, Shimano's pedals are virtually indestructible and I never serviced mine. However, I prefer to have more float, so I am on Eggbeaters now. I love them, although they do need servicing every once in a while.

Last edited:
The counterargument I'm hearing for cheaper shoes is that stuff gets wrecked in cyclocross easily, so cheaper stuff you can replace easily is better...

Andy
If you're going to be racing, the thrill of saving some cash will be soon be forgotten if you have to do four laps with a pedal umclipped. If you're just doing it to keep fit then extra cash is always good.

I forgot to mention one more supreme design flaw of the Sidis: the bottom plate is extremely prone to rust. I did not use enough grease when I installed the first set of cleats in them, and the bolts completely seized up. The guy at my LBS had to use an angle grinder and order a new bottom plate — which is also completely rusted. I forgot to check my cleats for a while, and again, the bolts were almost seized up even though I used ample grease this time.

The main thing to get wrecked in CX is everyone's ego the first time they go arse over elbow in the first corner or puncture in the last lap, usually in front of friends and onlookers. Shoes and bike should be fine with appropriate maintenance (see above).

The main thing to get wrecked in CX is everyone's ego the first time they go arse over elbow in the first corner or puncture in the last lap, usually in front of friends and onlookers.
:)
Do you get extra points for being able to do that without even engaging in CX?

I forgot to mention one more supreme design flaw of the Sidis: the bottom plate is extremely prone to rust. I did not use enough grease when I installed the first set of cleats in them, and the bolts completely seized up. The guy at my LBS had to use an angle grinder and order a new bottom plate — which is also completely rusted. I forgot to check my cleats for a while, and again, the bolts were almost seized up even though I used ample grease this time.

I've only ever used Sidi shoes in 18 years of cycling in Japan. I'm a fan and don't really feel the need to change. But that's probably just because they work for me. Kind of like Shimano road pedals, everyone is saying "use Speedplay!" but I'm thinking "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

Andy

Regarding gravel racing, there is a grinduro happening in Nagano in October ( I think). Places sold out within hours unfortunately. I know @xDOMx had a place and can't go so he was selling it. Not sure if the place is still available. The event ain't cheap though at around 30,000 yen if I remember rightly.

Just checked the link for that and it's actually in Madarao here in Niigata.

So I may just follow the course at some point. There is also a gravel pass over Mt. Myoko (maybe it's part of the Grinduro ride) that I've always wanted to do.

Andy

I've only ever used Sidi shoes in 18 years of cycling in Japan. I'm a fan and don't really feel the need to change. But that's probably just because they work for me. Kind of like Shimano road pedals, everyone is saying "use Speedplay!" but I'm thinking "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
At least in my experience, there is a difference between the two: Shimano pedals just work, even if you don't service them. The same can't be said for my Sidi shoes. Perhaps others are luckier than I am. I am just giving you my honest feedback. Those are my first pair of Sidis, and I didn't have any preconceptions going in (my other LBSs did not sell them). They have some plusses, e. g. that you can get replacement parts for your shoes. (I broke one of the clasps early on, which was squarely my fault, and all I needed to do was screw on a replacement.) But if my previous LBS had not employed some creativity and heavy machinery, I would have had to buy a new pair of cycling shoes just because the bottom plate is extremely prone to rust. That never happened with any of my previous cycling shoes.

At least in my experience, there is a difference between the two: Shimano pedals just work, even if you don't service them. The same can't be said for my Sidi shoes. Perhaps others are luckier than I am. I am just giving you my honest feedback. Those are my first pair of Sidis, and I didn't have any preconceptions going in (my other LBSs did not sell them). They have some plusses, e. g. that you can get replacement parts for your shoes. (I broke one of the clasps early on, which was squarely my fault, and all I needed to do was screw on a replacement.) But if my previous LBS had not employed some creativity and heavy machinery, I would have had to buy a new pair of cycling shoes just because the bottom plate is extremely prone to rust. That never happened with any of my previous cycling shoes.

Yeah I can't really compare as I've only ever used Sidis. I use them every day so get through them quite quickly. Usually the first thing to fail is the carbon sole coming away from the shoe. You can glue it back on. Last year it ripped off in a crash warming up at Fuji Speedway. No superglue, so I had to make do with duct tape for the race!

Andy

Yeah I can't really compare as I've only ever used Sidis.
And it makes sense to develop and affinity to them if you like their fit, style and they have worked for you in the past. I reckon some of the issues are not as severe for road shoes. E. g. you don't expect to walk well in road shoes and the heat issue I could be remedied if I had bought another model (although I don't know whether those are available in wide). Plus, I do appreciate their policy when it comes to replacement parts, I have never heard that being an option when it comes to other cycling shoe manufacturers.

Just checked the link for that and it's actually in Madarao here in Niigata.

So I may just follow the course at some point. There is also a gravel pass over Mt. Myoko (maybe it's part of the Grinduro ride) that I've always wanted to do.

Andy
Do you have a link to a map of the course, @andywood? I couldn't find one through the link.

I'm guessing they will be keeping it under wraps until the event.

Yeah, the website is very vague! Whether that's on purpose or not!?

There is also a big trail run event around Madarao. I can look it up if anyone is interested? May even follow the same trails...

Andy

Last edited:
Best bet is to wait until after the event, then snag a Strava upload of the ride.

If you really wanted to ride it, it's on open roads, so there is nothing to stop you just rolling up and following the course, much like some do for events like Tokyo~Itoigawa.

Andy

If you really wanted to ride it, it's on open roads, so there is nothing to stop you just rolling up and following the course, much like some do for events like Tokyo~Itoigawa.

Andy
You are probably right that it's all on open roads , but there might be some sections on private land. I might have just dreamed it but that might have been the case with the Rapha Prestige a few years ago, where the organisers had to get permission from the land owner.

I take it back, the Grinduro actually sounds like fun. Guess I need to buy a CAADX and some offroad shoes, since breaking my collarbone ruined my summer racing season... Girlfriend would kill me if I did, though.

Back
Top Bottom