What's new

Cyclo Cross Tokyo 2012

kawa

Maximum Pace
Jan 16, 2011
This race will be held in Odaiba, Tokyo on 12th of February, 2012.
Registration is open now.
http://www.cyclocrosstokyo.com/

Categories for an adult male are divided into four, ビギナー(Beginner), スポーツ(Sports), エキスパート(Expert), エリート(Elite) and the number of participants for each categories are limited to 60.
The entry fee is 6000yen except for the group enduro.

I don't have a bike for this but interested in watching the race since it's very easy to access.:)

Im going to race this for Shitz and Giggles. You can race the lower catergory on MTB but for the Expert and Elite you will need a CX bike.

UCI have ruled they are allowed so can't see why you will get stopped in Japan. You can pull the UCI ruling up if they do.

Was at a race recently were a CX rider had disc so I can't see why it would be a problem.

By the way - if anyone is interested in CX gear then give me a shout. <shameless plug>. Mainly cause:

1) I have special ordered some carbon CX forks (extra clearance and proper brake mounts) you can throw on nearly any frame and have a fairly workable CX ride.

2) Have some killer deals on full carbon CX framesets. These are 'proper' with top mount cabling, heavy duty stays, discbrake mounts, etc. And are CHEAP.

3) Happy to help build up some real CX wheels, too - generally with Kinlin TB-25's, Shimano 105 Hubs and DT Comps. Rugged and proper! Less than 20,000 yen / set.

** NOTE: Real CX'ers ride Tubular Always! This way you can reduce pressure and still have good performance, max grip and use a fairly narrow profile with your roadie frame.

**NOTE 2: Another option is use the Velocity B41's and a No Tubes conversion. Then a stiff CX tire like the Bulldog, Pirahana and my favorite, CLEMENT PDX (named after my neck of the woods, of course) and featuring the BEST TIRE ever MADE which are of course, CLEMENT!

Don't forget a Chain Catcher - and most riders will probably prefer a single front chainring anyway! You can make a nice cheapo CX group with used parts, older Dura Ace chainsets with the Hollowtech BB would be my first logical choice.

WAX YOUR CHAIN - DON'T OIL IT! Clean it thoroughly then boil the chain in paraffin wax and just ride it like that!

Spray your whole bike down with WD-40 or undiluted Simple Green BEFORE you ride! Then when you come back and hit it with the pressure washer - all the muck will just slide off.

Use 'Pete's Magick Embro' for your legs and arms. This is a secret family recipe of Bacon Grease, more Bacon grease, Cheezwhiz, Jalapeno juice, and a few teaspoons of Blairs Death Sauce. If the local dogs aren't chasing you down on the course, you didn't use enough!

Last but not least is your KOSTUME! No irrespectable CX rider would be caught dead with out his / her tribute kit featuring local Lucha Libre champion, failed politician, mystical being or , in Owen's case, Mme. Ichigo Cream herself!

3) Happy to help build up some real CX wheels, too - generally with Kinlin TB-25's, Shimano 105 Hubs and DT Comps. Rugged and proper! Less than 20,000 yen / set.

** NOTE: Real CX'ers ride Tubular Always! This way you can reduce pressure and still have good performance, max grip and use a fairly narrow profile with your roadie frame.

**NOTE 2: Another option is use the Velocity B41's and a No Tubes conversion. Then a stiff CX tire like the Bulldog, Pirahana and my favorite, CLEMENT PDX (named after my neck of the woods, of course) and featuring the BEST TIRE ever MADE which are of course, CLEMENT!

Don't forget a Chain Catcher - and most riders will probably prefer a single front chainring anyway! You can make a nice cheapo CX group with used parts, older Dura Ace chainsets with the Hollowtech BB would be my first logical choice.

WAX YOUR CHAIN - DON'T OIL IT! Clean it thoroughly then boil the chain in paraffin wax and just ride it like that!

Spray your whole bike down with WD-40 or undiluted Simple Green BEFORE you ride! Then when you come back and hit it with the pressure washer - all the muck will just slide off.

Use 'Pete's Magick Embro' for your legs and arms. This is a secret family recipe of Bacon Grease, more Bacon grease, Cheezwhiz, Jalapeno juice, and a few teaspoons of Blairs Death Sauce. If the local dogs aren't chasing you down on the course, you didn't use enough!

Last but not least is your KOSTUME! No irrespectable CX rider would be caught dead with out his / her tribute kit featuring local Lucha Libre champion, failed politician, mystical being or , in Owen's case, Mme. Ichigo Cream herself!
Wheels I might be in for a set.
You can also use a cooking spray as a mud sheild on frame and parts. Boiled way, haven't heard that old school advice for years. Tim I hope to get to meet you next year, are you doing Iwaki again?

Love this post, thanks.

Incidentally - I just got my spanking new 2012 Shimano Parts catalog and presumably they are now stocking the Shimano CX bits! I ordered up a group and we'll see. Can't beat a chainset for 8000 yen!! And they have top pull and bottom pull front derailers and cheap canti's !

Oh yeah! I forgot entirely about the PAM. That can also be used in conjunction with Honey Badger Pete's Embro as the initial 'base layer'. We'd also use Simple Green on our legs, too, it helps to 'prep' for the embro making cleanup a little easier.

Will be back to Iwaki to claim a podium! Since I did my homage the first time on fixed gear - I can run the next time on my Ultra-lightweight, No excuses ride!

no I really don't need a CX bike. Tim do you do track wheel sets?

Okay how about we look at Iwaki 2012. Thomas and James can we make this an official ride? What is the criteria for an official ride?

Off topic a bit - but yes - I do track wheels. In fact I delivered a set to Hiroshi san that are so beautiful. 85mm / 60mm set.

Hubs are handmade by Hungarian Pro track mechanic. (Hungarian Olympic Team uses them.)
Rims - we do a special layup with heavier nipple bed. (85mm, 60mm, 50mm)
Spokes - Sapim CX-Race and laced according to most regs. (2X,2X / 24H, 20H) But can also do 28H, 32H or 36H versions.

no I really don't need a CX bike. Tim do you do track wheel sets?

Okay how about we look at Iwaki 2012. Thomas and James can we make this an official ride? What is the criteria for an official ride?

Off topic a bit - but yes - I do track wheels. In fact I delivered a set to Hiroshi san that are so beautiful. 85mm / 60mm set.

Hubs are handmade by Hungarian Pro track mechanic. (Hungarian Olympic Team uses them.)
Rims - we do a special layup with heavier nipple bed. (85mm, 60mm, 50mm)
Spokes - Sapim CX-Race and laced according to most regs. (2X,2X / 24H, 20H) But can also do 28H, 32H or 36H versions.

okay will take this conversation off this thread and I will start saving my pennies.

Ok - I'm building up a demo CX bike for this if anyone wants to do the group enduro, we can share it. Size is good enough for about 165 - 180cm and will have our 38mm Tubulars and using the new Shimano CX70 Groupset w/Avid discs. I'm unfortunately banned from CX riding because it would tear apart what's left of my left knee - however - more than willing to provide support for this event if we can form a quickie team.

i would love to be part of a bike sharing enduro team! i've never ridden a CX and haven't ridden more than a few hundred meters on a geared bike in forever but i'd be totally down for this if anyone else is interested.

I can get the day off likely and will put my hand up if you are looking for another team member. I have never raced before, but am intrigued by the chance of winning some stuff and think I should have a crack at it sooner or later. No CX bike, but have an ancient MTB I commute on if that is a possibility.

however - more than willing to provide support for this event if we can form a quickie team.

Guys remember this is CX so support will be in the following format:

• Constant abuse shouted through megaphones
  • Taunting
  • Offering of junk food and beer midrace
  • Being laughed at when in poor position
  • Being insulted for being a flash git when in lead position

I can get the day off likely and will put my hand up if you are looking for another team member. I have never raced before, but am intrigued by the chance of winning some stuff and think I should have a crack at it sooner or later. No CX bike, but have an ancient MTB I commute on if that is a possibility.

Yes only Elite class are required to have full CX bikes..... if I can't source a loaner I will be racing on my XC Mtb.

OK. I will keep an eye out to see how this progresses. Maybe a couple training rides in your MTB haven before the race FE?

Ok - I'm building up a demo CX bike for this if anyone wants to do the group enduro, we can share it. Size is good enough for about 165 - 180cm and will have our 38mm Tubulars and using the new Shimano CX70 Groupset w/Avid discs. I'm unfortunately banned from CX riding because it would tear apart what's left of my left knee - however - more than willing to provide support for this event if we can form a quickie team.

would love to .. and as i don't have my own cx bike anymore :( .... but i am 184cm

Guys remember this is CX so support will be in the following format:

• Constant abuse shouted through megaphones
  • Taunting
  • Offering of junk food and beer midrace
  • Being laughed at when in poor position
  • Being insulted for being a flash git when in lead position

are there other types of racing where "support" means something different?

Back
Top Bottom