What's new

Cyclists and Triathlon

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Is there some kind of rivalry between cyclists and triathletes (who of course are cyclists too)? I take it it's all tongue in cheek... :D

Four kilometres in the pool this evening. I'm in danger of becoming a triathlete!

Sticking gels up your shorts or sticking power bars to your frame makes you look like one of those..... tri.... can't even say it.:D

24. One shall NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, associate with triathletes. This cannot be overemphasized

(Facebook page: OREC: The Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist)

Nothing but respect from me. Especially those guys who do the International Iron Man on Sado Island in the heat of August.

I've ridden the 210 km lap of the island in training a few times. At the end all I can think about is onsen and a beer. Those guys change shoes and do a full marathon!

RESPECT!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Tongue in cheek.......ordinary people think cyclists are nuts....cyclists think Triathletes are nuts..... im wonder who they think are nuts.

A triathlete's point of view.

It's a love, hate relationship. :p But maybe more like fighting cousins.

As you mention, the funny thing is that all triathletes are cyclists (45% of my training is on the bike), but not all cyclists are triathletes. Nor should they be! :angel:

There is plenty of space for both on the roads.

K

Triathletes rock! Even though I do pretty much only cycling, I've ran competitively (in High School and Uni) and have done some swimming, too. I'm not sure why I didn't take up Tri events other than just didn't fit into my scheme of events. But as for cycling - I can honestly say that the Triathletes I've worked with and for over the years have been very instrumental in pushing the envelope.

1) Way back in early 80's I was building and importing custom Italian frames. My first customers were Trialetes who wanted a bike that fit this totally new style of event. We came up with an (advanced at the time) frame with very steep seattube and longer than 'normal' reach.

2) Currently I find the same enthusiasm and reach for excellence among most Triathletes. Yes, some are novice at riding, in some ways, but still they tend to approach cycling with more leniance and openess. I've built and sold some cool bikes geared more towards Triathletes than anyone else this year. Mostly they value performance over brand and are willing to try new things much more than the 'old guard'. I dig that.

My youngest brother is friends with a German triathlete (she placed seventh at last year's Hawaiian Ironman / fastest German, also won silver in Cozumel, Mexico). From him I hear a lot about the sport every time I go back there. I admire the dedication that goes into training for triathlon (especially at the professional level) so I couldn't quite understand the not-so-serious jabs.

Back
Top Bottom