What's new

Cyclist needs suitable weapon...

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iCouTaEaYoMbfNHROD_8h_Cxx4LAD9GBVOU00

Had a tsukiwa-kuma cross the road maybe a hundred meters in front of me once. Like a big black lab, only a full round body. I was alone, an uphill rindo--not possible to chance it by zooming by. Eventually a van came up and after explaining things, they went slow and I rode along next to it for a ways.

Needless to say, for the rest of the ride anytime a bird would rustle some leaves off the to the side, my adrenaline level would peak...

Funny! I almost hit a monkey on the descent from Tomo No Mori last weekend. First time I've seen a monkey on the road! I have encountered a few wild boars, but no bears, yet.. Just curious - are any of these creatures in Japan aggressive? I'm from the PNW and my instinct is to take evasive / defensive action when crossing most creatures larger than a breadbox. Mainly cause of the Brown Bear, Mountain Lion, Big Mean Dogs are pretty nasty sometimes.

Interesting, I have read about all of the close calls with pedestrians, mamacharis etc. The fact is out here on the rindos in Shizuoka, I am constantly worrying about confronting bears/wild boars either while climbing (chance of being attacked) or descending (chance of fatal high speed collision).:eek: Just yesterday a hefty wild boar crossed my path seconds before I did. Well, it keeps me on my toes.

Everyone be careful out there!:bike:

Funny! I almost hit a monkey on the descent from Tomo No Mori last weekend. First time I've seen a monkey on the road! I have encountered a few wild boars, but no bears, yet.. Just curious - are any of these creatures in Japan aggressive? I'm from the PNW and my instinct is to take evasive / defensive action when crossing most creatures larger than a breadbox. Mainly cause of the Brown Bear, Mountain Lion, Big Mean Dogs are pretty nasty sometimes.

Well, I think the wild boars will attack if feeling cornered or threatened, as most of these mountain beasts will... Yesterday's boar was bailing out all the way, fortunately!

Well, I think the wild boars will attack if feeling cornered or threatened, as most of these mountain beasts will... Yesterday's boar was bailing out all the way, fortunately!
I have a 'bear bell', sold at all good hiking stores, attached to my saddle pouch. It's main function seems to be to annoy companions while climbing uphill, while the Ksyrium freehub does the same going down.

I've never seen a bear, so assume it's working. It definitely doesn't work on snakes.

--HF Mike--

I have a 'bear bell', sold at all good hiking stores, attached to my saddle pouch. It's main function seems to be to annoy companions while climbing uphill, while the Ksyrium freehub does the same going down.

I've never seen a bear, so assume it's working. It definitely doesn't work on snakes.

--HF Mike--

Yes, I agree HFM, the bell can be somewhat annoying while trying to commune with nature! But I guess the silence is dangerous. I do break out in song, sometimes. 70's and 80's music works best.:D

For the snakes, it's unclip and admire (uphill) or roadkill(downhill).:eek:

Back
Top Bottom