What's new

Cyclist friendly and non-cyclist restaurant

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
I am looking for cyclist friendly cafe or restaurant that serves lunch on the weekend. This is for a club event the Firm I work for is subsidizing. We would like to also invite non-cycling family and friends and family as well. Does anyone know of a place some place in the Tokyo area?

I remember coming across an Italian themed restaurant in Jiyugaoka that had several road bicycles parked in front and with an outdoor dining area to keep an easy eye on the bicycles. It's too bad I can't remember the name...

Ideally this restaurant would:
  • be located in or around Tokyo.
  • serve lunch on the weekend.
  • have a place to park several road bicycles.
  • be okay with MAMILs. (Optional, we can be more "civilized".)
  • accomodate a party of about 10 people (or more).
  • have reasonable access for people coming in by public transport.

No lunch cafes I know in Tokyo offer that. There are a couple of ramen / izakaya type joints on some of the rides we do - mainly around the Greenline (Pizza, Soba stop, etc) And there is a cycling friendly cafe at Musashi Itsukaiichi (Cat Cafe). Inside Tokyo proper I'd say your best bet is just to go to a Jonathan's or Saizeria. They have a drink bar with endless coffee and stuff, lots of pasta dishes, and are cheap!

Cafe Sacoche is... OK.

If you go much over 10 people though, you might run into space issues. It is your standard small cafe kind of place, with a bike rack outside.

I am looking for cyclist friendly cafe or restaurant that serves lunch on the weekend. This is for a club event the Firm I work for is subsidizing. We would like to also invite non-cycling family and friends and family as well. Does anyone know of a place some place in the Tokyo area?

I remember coming across an Italian themed restaurant in Jiyugaoka that had several road bicycles parked in front and with an outdoor dining area to keep an easy eye on the bicycles. It's too bad I can't remember the name...

Ideally this restaurant would:
  • be located in or around Tokyo.
  • serve lunch on the weekend.
  • have a place to park several road bicycles.
  • be okay with MAMILs. (Optional, we can be more "civilized".)
  • accomodate a party of about 10 people (or more).
  • have reasonable access for people coming in by public transport.

BING - Good Lord so many so called cyclists living in Tokyo and you haven't heard of this place!

http://bianchicafecycles.jp/cafe/index.html

You will need to book in advance.

Then you also have The Flying Scotsman (named after Graeme Obree)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flying-Scotsman-Yoyogiuehara/185644101524687

I racked my brains (plus my wife's), came up with a name, and googled it a couple of messages ago when you were condemned to Saizeria or Jonathan's. And so: "Trattoria Italia" (Meguro). It's not five-star Italian but when I was last there it was pretty good, and very decent value for money in the evening. The mushroom risotto in particular was excellent. (I haven't been there for a couple of years because my wife no longer has to do business in that area; and I've never been there for lunch. However, I do know that it's open for lunch.) There's nothing cycling-related but there are tables out in front and I'd guess there'd be space to park a handful bikes securely, if you explained this beforehand.

Honestly I can't think of any place that wouldn't be MAMIL friendly in Japan. I mean, come on, almost EVERY Japanese Salaryman suit is constructed of 110% Polyester with not a single sheep in NZ harmed in it's sewing! And the SHOES! My god . Our cycling spiffcific shoes just blow away the standard fit of scuffed, roughed and slewed ABC workman's loafers, Pennies and heel shoved sneakers. Wear your LYCRA WITH PRIDE. And don't hesitate to bear the distinction - 'It's not spandex, it's Lycra (tm)' Or just go 100% a la RAPHA and watch all their eyes water with envy.

@FE - good catches. have to try them! Another 'sneak place' is the cafe across the street from Bridgestone Cycles Concept Whatever in Aoyama. The ABSOLUTE best burritos in Tokyo. And believe me , I know a burrito! They'd rank about a solid 6/10 on the east LA scale. Which is as high as you can get in a non-hispanic speaking country.

I was informed that here is another one - recently opened ...
Bicycle Cafe 恵比寿坂

Honestly I can't think of any place that wouldn't be MAMIL friendly in Japan.
TY Harbor Brewery. They started turning us away about 5 years ago. We used to enjoy dropping by on the way back from Haneda rides. Now we don't.

I used to go to this BuonO place in Odaiba on weekends. Usually by motorcycle, but once on a freezing winter HFC ride, I got a few folks in at a couple tables in there. Folks at BuonO had no problem with us or having our bicycles leaning against the window outside. Also some railings nearby.

Never had trouble going early (like 11) with parking motorcycles. Not so crowded there either way at 11 so prob OK. Best to call, of course. Oh, and they have darts. :)

http://r.gnavi.co.jp/3119721/

Thanks for all the different suggestions. Some of the places are close to Ebisu, where the "Firm" is located. I'll pop over during lunch or on the ride back to take a look.

I should have pointed out more clearly that this for a social event sponsored by the Firm cycling club where we want to include non-cyclists. This would be what, one-eigth speed ride? :) Otherwise, we would be headed out of the Tokyo Metro area!

I could reccommend CLASKA on meguro dori - very foreigner friendly hotel/ restaurant with a lovely terrace area - Spacejoy in Jiyugaoka alos could be another good spot for your needs - sounds like a good meeting 1

A MAMIL is:
Middle Aged Male In Lycra

I never thought I'd end up in tights. Next step may be shaving my chinpanzee skin like legs.

Seriously Jack? Just pluck those 7 hairs... no need to shave.

I do recall you telling me last fall something about being too modest for Lycra.

Seriously Jack? Just pluck those 7 hairs... no need to shave.

I do recall you telling me last fall something about being too modest for Lycra.

The hair count is off by a factor of 4! :)

Yeah... I'm slowly adapting. I also said I would always have a luggage rack, that's now gone.

Back
Top Bottom