What's new

Cyclist beware, the cops are now coming after you

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
One problem for me is that on a hot summer day when I go cycling I like to have a few beers. If caught, 3 hour safety class and I believe a 6000 yen fine now. Fines for other infractions are up to 50000 yen now.

If someone can translate some of this, much appreciated.

If someone can translate some of this, much appreciated.
It's been translated and explained many times. Here's one...

when I go cycling I like to have a few beers

Me too! Fortunately this is not like driving a motor vehicle, for which there are specific breath- or blood-alcohol levels above which it's prohibited to drive. If you can operate the bike safely, you're OK. Put simply, it's the difference between "having a drink" and "getting drunk". I'm certainly not condoning or recommending it, and people's tolerance for alcohol varies greatly.

For me personally, I'm quite sure that a can of beer is fine, and a bottle-and-a-half of wine is not. (@joewein can vouch for this, having witnessed my spectacular endo one Wednesday night long ago in Shibuya.)

Me too! Fortunately this is not like driving a motor vehicle, for which there are specific breath- or blood-alcohol levels above which it's prohibited to drive. If you can operate the bike safely, you're OK. Put simply, it's the difference between "having a drink" and "getting drunk". I'm certainly not condoning or recommending it, and people's tolerance for alcohol varies greatly.

For me personally, I'm quite sure that a can of beer is fine, and a bottle-and-a-half of wine is not. (@joewein can vouch for this, having witnessed my spectacular endo one Wednesday night long ago in Shibuya.)

Thanks.

Shouldn't that list include a prohibition against riding up the wrong side of the road, and crossing to the right side in order to turn right (and cutting corners when turning)? I confront these idiocies almost every time I go out on my bike and it drives me nuts!

Back
Top Bottom