Cyclist beware, the cops are now coming after you

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Ube -shi, Yamaguchi-ken
One problem for me is that on a hot summer day when I go cycling I like to have a few beers. If caught, 3 hour safety class and I believe a 6000 yen fine now. Fines for other infractions are up to 50000 yen now.

If someone can translate some of this, much appreciated.

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
If someone can translate some of this, much appreciated.
It's been translated and explained many times. Here's one...

when I go cycling I like to have a few beers
Me too! Fortunately this is not like driving a motor vehicle, for which there are specific breath- or blood-alcohol levels above which it's prohibited to drive. If you can operate the bike safely, you're OK. Put simply, it's the difference between "having a drink" and "getting drunk". I'm certainly not condoning or recommending it, and people's tolerance for alcohol varies greatly.

For me personally, I'm quite sure that a can of beer is fine, and a bottle-and-a-half of wine is not. (@joewein can vouch for this, having witnessed my spectacular endo one Wednesday night long ago in Shibuya.)

Reactions: Kangaeroo

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Ube -shi, Yamaguchi-ken

Me too! Fortunately this is not like driving a motor vehicle, for which there are specific breath- or blood-alcohol levels above which it's prohibited to drive. If you can operate the bike safely, you're OK. Put simply, it's the difference between "having a drink" and "getting drunk". I'm certainly not condoning or recommending it, and people's tolerance for alcohol varies greatly.

For me personally, I'm quite sure that a can of beer is fine, and a bottle-and-a-half of wine is not. (@joewein can vouch for this, having witnessed my spectacular endo one Wednesday night long ago in Shibuya.)

Thanks.

Mallorquin

Warming-Up
Mar 21, 2020
Tokyo
palmsandcharms.bandcamp.com

Shouldn't that list include a prohibition against riding up the wrong side of the road, and crossing to the right side in order to turn right (and cutting corners when turning)? I confront these idiocies almost every time I go out on my bike and it drives me nuts!

Reactions: Kangaeroo