Cyclingese . . .

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
"I'm out of shape"
Translation: I ride 400 miles a week and haven't missed a day since the Meiji period. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than you wash your shorts. My body fat percentage is lower than your mortgage rate.

"I'm not into competition. I'm just riding to stay in shape"
Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling and whimpering. I will win the line sprint if I have to force you into oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your seat post and spray Pocari Sweat in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using composites blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

"It's not that hilly"
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a tea ceremony. Be careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over -- backward. You have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"This is a no-drop ride"
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the search-and- rescue dogs.

"It's not that far"
Translation: Bring your passport

"We should be back before it gets dark"
Translation: Check on your life insurance policy and leave a parting note to your loved ones.

(Adapted from http://amateurtrigirl.blogspot.com)

Phil

Maximum Pace
"We should be back before it gets dark"
Translation: Check on your life insurance policy and leave a parting note to your loved ones.
I don't get this one; would never happen on a TCC ride...:angel:

This, however:
"The rindo should be passable, clear of rocks, and take us back to the main road."
TCC Translation: Please bring hiking boots, compass, pickaxe and crampons.

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
"I would love to go, gentlemen, but I have family duties this weekend (and next weekend, too). Hope I'll be ready for Hotaka!"

Translation: I am in secret training for Hotaka and I'm following a super hard training program so I have no time for social rides.

:p:p:p

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Busted! Yeah, I've adopted Clay, and we're gonna be in the Dolomites for the next few weeks, training at altitude. I've got my eyes on the prize, and nothing and nobody is gonna get between me and a podium spot at Hotaka.

echothree

Speeding Up
Sep 8, 2008
Mitaka
I don't want to give too much away at this stage, but training of the beast that is The Deejinator is going well and he will soon be unleashed upon the world of cycling... the only sticking point is negotiating right hand curves when amped with adrenaline. :rescue: