What's new

Help Cycling wear recommendations

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
I'm after a race-cut short-sleeve jersey, and some fingerless gloves that don't have those funny gel pad inserts.
Does anyone have any good recommendations (for a reasonable price)?

I just tried on at a Y's Road and bought a pair of Pearl Izumi 20. I got the L size and think the XL may have been a better choice. First ride today and they rode up a bit between the fingers. Nothing drastic but for the price (¥1700ish) I don't mind. My Craft basic short finger are coming to the end of their life. Hit up Amazon and list them by cheapest first, take a look and post on here if anyone has an opinion.

Thanks for the responses. I have PI shorts, jersey, and windbreaker, and I've found them to be comfortable and good value for money. Would be very happy to buy more of their stuff.

@Musashi13, @Robert, @kiwisimon
Will check them out tomo. Any recommendations for non-padded gloves?

@Chris Williams
Would be ideal if it didn't have the logos! Is it good in hot and humid weather?

Its good in hot 30 deg C but France does not get as humid as Japan. Full zip is good.

For jerseys you will appreciate the 10%+ performance benefits of Rapha. Random interviews with checkout assistants in convenience stores in the Saitama/Chichibu region also revealed they find Rapha-clad cyclists 50% more attractive than your standard two-wheeled customer. Testimonials available on request from the usual suspects.

If you're ordering over the internets, careful with sizing. Experience tells me that size XL gloves from one brand can be tight for me and smaller than size L from another brand, whose size XL is far too big for me.

If necessary, speak with a "customer service representative". (Let yourself be inspired by LBJ's specifications for pants, embedded here.)

Went to Ys road yest evening.
Alas, all the padless gloves were pretty expensive - 4500yen and up. Skin tight, and looked cool, but expensive. Will have to have a think.

They also didnt have those little loops between the fingers that help you take your gloves off. I'm not sure if that's important or not.

Amazon has them cheaper.

I saw them in a place called Sports Depo for just over 2,000JPY

I used to think the loops were important but now I don't, oh life.

I picked up some gloves on sale at Ys Road, today. Padless and sleek-looking.

Loving getting out in the morning. Drizzle today - new challenge. Feck it. The bike is already dirty from last weeks rindo. On we go. For some reason, I headed down to Tamagawa instead of my towards usual palace loop. And some other random decision saw me head towards the airport instead of up river. I hadn't been down towards the airport before so this would be new. Had to take off the glasses though as I couldn't see with the rain. Glasses off was somewhat better. Followed the river path for a while but somehow ended up on a gravel patch which was rather fun but made me think of punctures. Finally ran out of river road and didn't know quite where to go so I just thought I'd try the road. Came across some race horses crossing near a practice ground which was rather cool to see. I stopped and admired them for a while. Decided that it was getting late and I'd better find myself again or I wouldn't make work. Was very happy to eventually find Kannana and blasted homeward. At that point the rain had stopped. Made it home just after 7. Oops. Bit late for work, never found the airport but my morning rocked.

Crap. posted to the wrong thread... Gomen:gomen:

Loving getting out in the morning. Drizzle today - new challenge. Feck it. The bike is already dirty from last weeks rindo. On we go. For some reason, I headed down to Tamagawa instead of my towards usual palace loop. And some other random decision saw me head towards the airport instead of up river. I hadn't been down towards the airport before so this would be new. Had to take off the glasses though as I couldn't see with the rain. Glasses off was somewhat better. Followed the river path for a while but somehow ended up on a gravel patch which was rather fun but made me think of punctures. Finally ran out of river road and didn't know quite where to go so I just thought I'd try the road. Came across some race horses crossing near a practice ground which was rather cool to see. I stopped and admired them for a while. Decided that it was getting late and I'd better find myself again or I wouldn't make work. Was very happy to eventually find Kannana and blasted homeward. At that point the rain had stopped. Made it home just after 7. Oops. Bit late for work, never found the airport but my morning rocked.

Back
Top Bottom