What's new

Cycling Trousers (not rain or tights)

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
I need a pair of cycling trousers:

They need to be lightweight. (will be used in warm weather).
Allow sweat to easily disappear.
Not necessarily waterproof.
Must be able to pass as casual work trousers.
Look good.

I saw a nice pair of Bontrager trousers online somewhere... and a brand called GoldWin or something similar...

I'll probably have to order online without seeing/feeling them and hope the size is right etc...

Any recommendations.

Haven't seen any on Wiggle that do it for me...

I think you will be much better served with some padded undershorts like these >> DHB Core Padded Under Shorts << I have the older version of these and they are great, I bought 5 pair on sale, I wish I'd bought 10 :D I can wear whatever pants, short or long, over them, they stay comfy all day, well I have to admit the padded bit at first was a bit weird feeling, but I soon got over it.

With pants, do they have to be full length? If you can get away with some 3/4 length pants for hiking etc they would match with these perfectly.

Cheers!

I think you will be much better served with some padded undershorts like these >> DHB Core Padded Under Shorts << I

Cheers!

thanks, but have plenty of cycling shorts and tights... need something once a week to cover my cycling shorts or replace them...

Would like the 3/4 length ones as well for other rides...

Have an adult English class about 20km commute but have to at least arrive and leave the place looking semi-professorial. These pants may double up in the winter for the full commute.

The alternative, if you have a chance to change, is to cache a lot of cheapo stuff where you work. Several shirts, pairs of pants, and so on. This is one part of my formula.

On the other hand, if you have to be on/off the bike and wearing it all thru the day, the above choices will obviously be better. Your choice of shoes, too, will add/detract, depending on.

The alternative, if you have a chance to change, is to cache a lot of cheapo stuff where you work. Several shirts, pairs of pants, and so on. This is one part of my formula.

On the other hand, if you have to be on/off the bike and wearing it all thru the day, the above choices will obviously be better. Your choice of shoes, too, will add/detract, depending on.

My locker at my Mon, Tue, Wed job is full of everything. I just need to visit a place once a week on Thursday mornings. Covered up my cycling clothes this morning with some casual T-shirt and shorts, but looked and felt like I was going to the beach.

I have some nice rain wear but they look like rain pants... they breath well too...

Honestly a pair of cycling knicks. I have a great pair of Oakley padded boxers that I wear under jeans, cargos or on some occasions Cino's. Just make sure you have a couple of thick rubber bands to protect the trousers from the chain.

Left it out, above, but to myself I think of the change as doing my Clark Kent.

It's all about illusion.

Considering how (w/minimal work & thought) to switch from my bike gear to something that's at least work acceptable, and, if not too much trouble, even a notch or two above that. (Which earns illusion credits.) I even leave a couple of my most bland/generic sport coats at work--and I sometimes wear one into/out of class, and complain/comment on the heat meantime, and lay it on a desk or something all through.

It's theatre.

I do sometimes drag along a shirt or something, but it's usually not necessary.

The point is to create, post-ride, an image (even if it may sometimes look cheap or un-matched or whatever) that has nothing to do with your ride to work.

Just had a look at Sports Authority for over an hour.
All their hiking stuff has been short stocked...almost none in the shop.
They usually have a lot of good quality stuff...

Soccer gear, tennis, general track suit pants, ... The cycling section had the rain pants...

Running pants seemed the best of a bad lot and the Nike Dry ones almost had me... but I decided to keep looking for something 'perfect'.

Due to my stocky :cool: build and short legs it's very hard to find stuff to fit me properly too. (especially in Japan shops).

3/4 knicker bocker stuff looks nice but may not get away with those in the classroom...

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/jitensya-ousama/pw-wizard-pants001.html

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/jitensya-ousama/p-goldw-pants001.html

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/bebike/fp-2-freeasy.html

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/qbei/cnndl-021975.html
:confused:

As warm as it's getting, are you sure you need something long now? How about regular cycle shorts, and then throw the lightest/thinnest (non-cycling) pants you can find into a backpack (or other bag) to put on when you get there? (Or leave a pair at work.)

As warm as it's getting, are you sure you need something long now? How about regular cycle shorts, and then throw the lightest/thinnest (non-cycling) pants you can find into a backpack (or other bag) to put on when you get there? (Or leave a pair at work.)

That's what I plan to do...with the cycling trousers... the problem is I need to leave two places dressed well enough... then when I get around the corner... take them off to reveal my cycling shorts... Do my Superman routine... Using my cycling shorts as underwear on commutes...

I'd like a full pair of cycling trousers as well for when the colder months are upon us. But something very light and bearable in summer for short stints.

Tomorrow I have a 43km+43km commute in the sun... on arrival I have to sneak into the parking lot where I work without anybody seeing me... unpack my business like back pack and slip into a full suit. (I'll probably do this at the Starbucks around the corner and cool down first). It's a pain in the butt. If they see me cycling in and looking 'sporty' I could loose this job. Can't be seen like that by the customers. I have spare clothes in this building but I can't get to them unless I look decent. It's easy when I drive but the commute makes working on weekends worthwhile.

That's what I plan to do...with the cycling trousers... the problem is I need to leave two places dressed well enough... then when I get around the corner... take them off to reveal my cycling shorts... Do my Superman routine... Using my cycling shorts as underwear on commutes...

I'd like a full pair of cycling trousers as well for when the colder months are upon us. But something very light and bearable in summer for short stints.

Tomorrow I have a 43km+43km commute in the sun... on arrival I have to sneak into the parking lot where I work without anybody seeing me... unpack my business like back pack and slip into a full suit. (I'll probably do this at the Starbucks around the corner and cool down first). It's a pain in the butt. If they see me cycling in and looking 'sporty' I could loose this job. Can't be seen like that by the customers. I have spare clothes in this building but I can't get to them unless I look decent. It's easy when I drive but the commute makes working on weekends worthwhile.

Don't for get the sun block or you will look very odd with white hands and red forearms :eek:

Have you tried posting/searching on the commuting forum over at BikeRadar? They might be able to offer more suggestions, though obviously something light for summer isn`t something we worry about in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom