What's new

Cycling to work (or indeed anywhere) safely - help me out

And it builds muscle (critical for combating aging) and sends endorphins to your brain (always a good thing).

Right now just thinking about the day (very soon) my bike arrives is putting them endorphins into my aging brain.

Indeed, right of way is an option on the more expensive models.

Germans themselves sarcastically talk about "eingebaute Vorfahrt" (built-in right of way) specifically when talking about the attitude of certain Mercedes Benz drivers. For whatever reason, being able to afford certain kinds of cars tends to correlate with a sense of entitlement, that the usual rules do not to apply to oneself.

Regarding the use of indicators, Germans do tend to use them more, especially on Autobahns where speed differences are large and lane discipline critical. One is taught to start indicating 300 m before an exit.

Germans themselves sarcastically talk about "eingebaute Vorfahrt" (built-in right of way) specifically when talking about the attitude of certain Mercedes Benz drivers.
That's precisely the attitude, although you are forgetting BMWs, they have had that feature even longer. ;) (I reckon you must have lived in Germany, "Vorfahrt eingebaut" is not something that is covered in a lot of German text books I reckon.)

This happens much less often here in Japan, partly because a lot of the cars, even luxury cars, are much more anemic in power. (You see a lot of E200s or 320is rather than versions with more powerful engines.)

One is taught to start indicating 300 m before an exit.
Oh yes, and it makes a lot of sense to indicate early and often also in cities — as long as you don't create confusion (e. g. if there is a small street branching off, and you are blinking so early as to make others believe you want to turn right now at that small road).

My advice would be to use lights at all times.

Anticipate cars pulling in from side streets.

Dominate your space if you are flowing with the speed of traffic.

Never wear headphones. Try to listen to a car which is behind you to anticipate when it is going to come through. Signal the car to wait if it is dangerous. Signal them through and thank them for waiting.

Always carry ID.

Just off the top of my head.

Andy

You can teach something to someone but that lesson ( and one lesson is never enough)might not be remembered and followed when normal peer activity is different.
Have you ever gone over the speed limit or looked at your phone while driving or riding despite having been taught that it is dangerous to do so? I have and do.
You might also be thinking I am the only influence on my family's behavior, luckily for them I'm not. He now however at 15, rides 12 kms to school on a road bike and rides very safely according to reports from my friends that see him on the way everyday. He even rides on he correct side of the street (despite what many high school kids do) and keeps well to the left in the traffic lanes.When the road gets pretty steep up one long hill he jumps onto the sidewalk about 3M wide, so he isn't holding up traffic. I trust him to follow the rules of the road but do remind him to ride safely everyday. Now if I could only get him to hang his helmet up when he gets home, and I7ve taught him how to do that a number of times too ;). cheers.
What ???? Are you saying that your kid doesn't do what you tell him to???? You must have ordered a faulty one. Surely kids should always do what their parents tell them to 😜

My advice would be to use lights at all times.

Anticipate cars pulling in from side streets.

Dominate your space if you are flowing with the speed of traffic.

Never wear headphones. Try to listen to a car which is behind you to anticipate when it is going to come through. Signal the car to wait if it is dangerous. Signal them through and thank them for waiting.

Always carry ID.

Just off the top of my head.

Andy

And your National Health Insurance card. Most important.
And maybe some emergency money also.

When I go out riding I always pack my cell phone, an id (usually my Japanese driver's license), my health insurance card, a credit card, my bike team card (which has my emergency contact printed on it), the key card to my apartment (duh) and 1,000-2,000 ¥ in cash.

When I go out riding I always pack my cell phone, an id (usually my Japanese driver's license), my health insurance card, a credit card, my bike team card (which has my emergency contact printed on it), the key card to my apartment (duh) and 1,000-2,000 ¥ in cash.

Sounds good to me. This isn't bike related, but I need a credit card. No one gives gaijins credit cards in this country, is so, please, someone help me on this.

I've got two, things ne through UFJ, another one from Raketen. My Raketen Card includes a travel health insurance, which by itself more than pays for the card. The procedure was complicated by the fact that my full name was too long for the online form, and because I had to give my name in katakana, the delivery was initially refused (all my IDs were in rōmaji …).

Rakuten gave me one. Applied online and scanned my IDs. No problems at all. I got it to pay for my Rakuten Mobile.

I got one through my wife's bank, SMBC. I'm a gaijin. They only looked at my finances. Perhaps you could try a good Japanese friend or co-worker?

Is your credit card like a joint credit card. What I mean is, your wife is responsible for its payment although you can use it and sign for purchases.
I really want a credit card but so far I've been turned down. Even went to Costco and applied at their counter for one. A few weeks later I got the rejection letter.
Is it possible here in Japan to have a joint credit card? By the way, my only income is SS and the very tiny Japanese pension paid every 2 months which is probably about $1500 a year. Yep. No BS. If it weren't for American SS the wife and I would be doomed here or well, work till we drop, but its gotten that way for every one these days it seems.

Rakuten gave me one. Applied online and scanned my IDs. No problems at all. I got it to pay for my Rakuten Mobile.

Thanks. Do you have an online link for it.

Is your credit card like a joint credit card. What I mean is, your wife is responsible for its payment although you can use it and sign for purchases.
I really want a credit card but so far I've been turned down. Even went to Costco and applied at their counter for one. A few weeks later I got the rejection letter.
Is it possible here in Japan to have a joint credit card? By the way, my only income is SS and the very tiny Japanese pension paid every 2 months which is probably about $1500 a year. Yep. No BS. If it weren't for American SS the wife and I would be doomed here or well, work till we drop, but its gotten that way for every one these days it seems.

No, I am. Its in no way connected to her account and she wasn't a guarantor for it. She simply helped me fill out the paperwork. In fact, they told us we couldn't have a joint account as that is somehow not permitted between a foreigner and a Japanese.

. If you're getting paid SS in US dollars, you might want to consider a credit card with a small annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. Many of the airlines like United and American offer these. The fee is usually about $100/year.

My wife has a joint credit card (again Rakuten). (By the way, in my previous post auto correct was overzealous and misspelt Rakuten.)

Back
Top Bottom