What's new

Cycling Shops both online and physical locations in Japan

kidshibuya

Cruising
Apr 17, 2018
Prices went up because of covid and the supply crunch. At any rate both sram and to a lesser extent shimano have region restrictions in place that only exist to rip off consumers. The reason why I can get some bike parts massively cheaper overseas is not because online stores are some scam reselling oem parts, its because they buy in normal priced regions.

Even if what you are saying is true nothing changes, it's still far cheaper to buy in places like germany or the US, oem conspiracy theories or not.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Again - you are arguing with yourself.
I never said it wasn't cheaper to buy online or overseas - and you are still missing the point about CRC. Their prices went up over 3 years ago from what they were 4 years ago. That is not covid related. Yes, there has been a spike since, but it in no way has anything to do with what I had said about CRC, OEM or the whole point of my post.

But you may continue to argue with yourself.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Prices went up because of covid and the supply crunch. At any rate both sram and to a lesser extent shimano have region restrictions in place that only exist to rip off consumers. The reason why I can get some bike parts massively cheaper overseas is not because online stores are some scam reselling oem parts, its because they buy in normal priced regions.
That happened well before Covid and has nothing to do with the supply crunch we are in now. Although that certainly helps bike parts manufacturers. Companies like bike24 don't ship to Japan any longer, yes.
Even if what you are saying is true nothing changes, it's still far cheaper to buy in places like germany or the US, oem conspiracy theories or not.
I don't think @bloaker's posted conspiracy theories, I think if you kept an eye on the industry it is pretty well-known. (Well, at least if you lived in Japan for a while and have gotten used to ordering bike parts online.) CRC choosing the cheaper of the two different pricing tiers (OEM pricing for bike builds and volume pricing) was just the cherry on top.

Companies setting different MSRPs in different countries is nothing new. Probably the first time I was aware of it when the Euro was introduced and comparing car prices abroad suddenly became really easy. Car manufacturers up until then were happy to charge Germans more for their cars than e. g. Belgians (if memory serves). But as far as I read @bloaker's posts, he never claimed anything differently. Yes, a Shimano Ultegra R8000 crankset on amazon.co.jp is cheaper than on bike24 (26,000 ¥ vs. 22,000 ¥ where the latter price includes German VAT of 19 % for fairness). The price differential for SRAM parts is bigger still.

Elzico2012

Maximum Pace
Jan 29, 2014
Below seen today on Bikeinn's site

{ * Due to the Assos new regulations relating to distribution, we are not allowed to ship some products of this brand to Japan }

To favor the official local shop and distributors.

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
As @bloaker correctly said, Wiggle/CRC etc were undercutting competition by massively discounting. Basically selling at low margin, and sometimes lower than local wholesale price. Sometimes its justified if the item is discontinued or overstock. In the long run it wasn't good for Shimano/SRAM/any manufacturer etc aside for a quick boost in sales or a way to sell off old stock. For consumers it can be a benefit, but when margins in the industry are already tight its a losing game to continually supply to wiggle etc. when they dont respect pricing.

@kidshibuya, your example is something of anomaly, either a closeout/overstock SRAM Red crank and then Japan which has higher than avg SRAM pricing (as well as habitually low/no SRAM stock). Generally speaking, the margin for Shimano/SRAM parts is "low" for dealers, so its not a matter of SRAM/Shimano "allowing" dealers to sell at X price, its dealers having enough margin to put food on the table and keeping the lights on.

Not many people in the bike business are making big bucks, and having Wiggle/X overseas reseller definitely doesn't help things.

Top Bottom