What's new

Cycling Shoes

Morton

Warming-Up
Apr 14, 2011
I am a beginner looking to buy some shoes and would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

BasicalIy I like touring. Apart from the odd overnight trip I can really only cycle on Sundays. When I cycle I look to go on a round trip of at least 100k. When I'm staying somewhere overnight I'd like a shoe I can use to walk about the hotel etc.

I use toe clips and have absolutely no desire/time/courage to change to the shoe-clip thingy. I know, I know, how great they are but I'm an old dog set in my ways. Please allow me this.

I'm looking for comfort, both on the bike and if walking and a show with some degree of protection from rain. Getting my shoes wet on the first day of a tour ain't fun. Aesthetically I'm not really bothered.

I've been searching online and am thinking about the Keen Austin, Keen Austin Pedal, Keen Jasper and the Salomon MT71 GoreTex Touring Shoe. What are your thoughts on these?

If I buy the Austin shoe should I buy the regular shoe or the SPD compatible one even though I won't use it?

Thanks

Just my thoughts about shoes:

The SPD system is great for weekend riders, I have a SPD setup and the shoe has the clip recessed into the sole. That way I can walk around without sounding like a horse and added traction so I don't slip on tiles or something. I recommend trying a setup like that. The other system which covers a greater area of the shoe is great for those hardcore riders looking to get every possible watt from each stroke. Having the larger clip reduces any flex in the shoe as you push down. As for the rain, you can buy a shoe cover to protect your feet from the weather.

Shimano XT SPD pedal and Shimano shoes..... can't go wrong!

I am a beginner looking to buy some shoes and would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

BasicalIy I like touring. Apart from the odd overnight trip I can really only cycle on Sundays. When I cycle I look to go on a round trip of at least 100k. When I'm staying somewhere overnight I'd like a shoe I can use to walk about the hotel etc.

I use toe clips and have absolutely no desire/time/courage to change to the shoe-clip thingy. I know, I know, how great they are but I'm an old dog set in my ways. Please allow me this.

I'm looking for comfort, both on the bike and if walking and a show with some degree of protection from rain. Getting my shoes wet on the first day of a tour ain't fun. Aesthetically I'm not really bothered.

I've been searching online and am thinking about the Keen Austin, Keen Austin Pedal, Keen Jasper and the Salomon MT71 GoreTex Touring Shoe. What are your thoughts on these?

If I buy the Austin shoe should I buy the regular shoe or the SPD compatible one even though I won't use it?

Thanks

Fair enough on the not wanting to change, the toe clips work for you, good enough! :)

I have some >>Shimano SPD MT42<< shoes, I really, do like them and I wear them almost all day long most every day.
shimano-mt42-sh-11-med.jpg

Now, they have a strap that goes across the top of the shoe that is really great when you are using clip-less pedals, because you can cinch up the shoes tight quickly and easily, and you can tuck the shoe laces away, but, if you are using toe clips and straps, this large strap across the shoes does not make much sense.

May I then suggest the >>Shimano SPD MT33<< shoes, they are cheaper and they do not have the strap.
shimano-mt33-sh-11-med.jpg

The SPD shoes have a panel on the bottom of the shoe that you tear off to install the SPD cleat, if you are using toe-clips and straps, then you leave this in place, and you have a nice comfy shoe that has a good solid sole to bike with. I walk around in mine all day.

Another option at a great price are the DHB cycling shoes, this is Wiggle's own brand, I have some of the DHB rain pants and love them and timdesuyo here at TCC has the shoes and so far I think he is very pleased with them.

>> DHB T1 Cycling Shoes <<

dhb-t1shoes-n-med.jpg

I see these at wiggle for 4867 yen while the Shimano MT33 shoes are 7289 yen.

Now for keeping your feet dry, I too would recommend shoe covers, or overshoes, they are easy to take on a off and they work VERY well.

I bought some here locally and they just barely fit over my shoes, they work great, but require a bit of struggle to get them on and off. I should have bought these......

>> Gore Bike Wear City IV Overshoe AW10 <<

gore-FCITYO9900-aw10-med.jpg

Everyone gives these shoe covers high marks. I bought mine here on impulse as I was tired of having wet feet all the time.

I know that at 5474 yen they are as expensive as shoes, but in the rain, you will be very happy to have spent the money.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

I doubt you will find anyone on this site who doesn`t use clipped shoes. But being Japan, let the deluge commence...

If I`m on the mama chariot (ordinary pedals) and it is raining, I now have some hiking boots I wear but I wouldn`t recommend them for riding long distances in.

Yup. I've been super happy with the dhb shoes. They do click a little bit, and if you step wrong, the cleat can be slippery, but I think that's all SPD shoes. And, if you're going to leave the plastic plate screwed in and use straps, then it wouldn't be a problem at all. If I didn't ride in the rain, I would be racking up major subway fees for work, so I ride in the Tsuyu downpours. Last year I had a pair of nagagutsu, but my cat peed in them, so I just got rain covers for these shoes, and they've been solid. The only problem is, when you put them on anticipating rain, and then it doesn't, they get a bit hot and sweaty. :D

EDIT: Also, not visible particularly in the shot, the dhb shoe has an elastic band in the tongue, so you can strap down your laces and they don't flop around. I didn't realize that 'til I had them in front of me.

One summer go-ahead-and-get-wet rain option might be SPD sandals (which I've never seen in my size, but are out there). And since I haven't tried them, I have no idea how good they are as sandals...

The SPD shoes I have vary in the amount of noise they make depending on the floor surface. Linoleum or something else smooth is very quiet, but my school has some tiles in some areas (ceramic I think, small squares w/concrete grouting). These tiles have an irregular surface that makes the shoes click a little bit. Also, after walking on pea gravel, you have to check that none of it got stuck in the cleats.

Cheers, great advice. The more I hear/read the more I'm tempted to try the SPD system, but maybe not just yet.

By the way the Wiggle site has suddenly changed to Japanese for me in the last week. Before it was English. I can't find the English page anymore. What's happened?

Cheers, great advice. The more I hear/read the more I'm tempted to try the SPD system, but maybe not just yet.

By the way the Wiggle site has suddenly changed to Japanese for me in the last week. Before it was English. I can't find the English page anymore. What's happened?

Language options are up at the top right of the page, just above the shopping basket.

Back
Top Bottom