What's new

Help Cycling Position

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
I've been trying to improve my form on the bike and have recently been using the Sufferfest's Elements of Style video. All good apart from I've noticed one significant difference in advice around the rotating the hips forward, compared to the advice given in Trainer Roads' on-screen coaching, when I was using that through the winter.

I quickly drew two diagrams last night to illustrate the difference in advice and was keen to hear from all, please, of you which you think is right?

First, (my understanding of)Trainer Roads advice -
upload_2016-9-16_10-50-2.png

Second, (my understanding of) Sufferfest's advice -
upload_2016-9-16_10-56-13.png
Basically Trainer Road seems to be advocating not rotating the hips forward (even advocating rotating them away to keep pressure off the pubic bone) while Sufferfest are saying you should...... Which is right???

Last edited:
Yeah I've always been confused about this as well. I see a lot of riders in Japan using the latter position with board-straight backs, but it seems like a lot of pro riders use the former.

Everyone is different and I as a result positions would vary accordingly I would suspect, depending on factors like hip width, joint and back flexibility and core strength. Just as we all find different seats comfortable there is no one size fits all.

Also depending on what kind of cycling you are doing. As in, are aerodynamics important or not.

My understanding is to tip the pubic bone forward to open up the hips. Back off a bit if you're squashing your nads.

I'd say #1 will do you more good in the long run, with abs engaged and piles driven. For a short sprint, consider #2.

@George5 many thanks for that article. Seems to be in line with Sufferfest's advice to rotate the pelvis forward and avoid bending the lower back. Feeling like I want to concentrate on this as I have good hamstring flexibility for my age and can feel it engaging the muscles on the back of upper legs (Gluts?) better. After a couple of years doing it the other way, feels like some muscles need to learn this position as I have had some aches after short training rides in the last week

@George5 After a couple of years doing it the other way, feels like some muscles need to learn this position as I have had some aches after short training rides in the last week
just make sure yu are positioned on the bike correctly first. Have you had a bike fit done? If noy it could save you a lot of grief. Ask the fitter what they think is best position for the back and if they concur with your thoughts it's a good start. Fit is also dynamic and will need to be readjudsted over time. Ask the fitter if they will do these readjustments at zero or minimal cost. You could do a lot worse than Chuck @ProRaceMechanic or here http://www.cyclefitjapan.com/

@George5 - yes I usually pop over to see Chuck once a year. Haven't seen him in a few months so might pop over for another fit once I have trained the body into this new position.

Back
Top Bottom