Help Cycling Insurance

DanBell

Speeding Up
Apr 26, 2010
Kawasaki
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have recommendations for cycling insurance? Years ago I had a policy that had great coverage and was inexpensive but I left Japan for a bit and in checking with them again upon my return I have found they don't offer it anymore. I'm starting a new position that requires a commute of about 25km along the Tamagawa Psycho Path, and although I'm cautious around the slower users of the path, your average Japanese pedestrian can be fickle and unpredictable. I'd like to be covered in case something should happen.

I know there was a thread on this years ago, which I think I participated in, but I figure a lot of that information and links will be out of date. I was wondering what people are using now, what kind of coverage you have, costs, etc. If there is a more recent thread that I missed in my search please let me know.

Thanks!

DanBell

Speeding Up
Apr 26, 2010
Kawasaki
I remembered that Mont Bell and 7-11 do bike insurance so I went looking for that. Here's Mont Bell's page and here's the page for 7-11's offering. I also found this page listing their top ten bike insurance plans. I have no idea how this website came up with this list though, so who knows how objective, complete, or up to date it is.

My kanji isn't the best so it's going to take me a while to chew through enough of this to make a decision, but at first glance it does look like the couples and family plans are a pretty good value over the individual plans, but I suppose they're thinking that in a lot of cases dad will be doing most of the miles with mom and the kids riding short distances locally.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
I got 7-11 for a few years but the local PTA offered us a family plan that my wife jumped all of us into. '-11 is no fuss and is pretty easy to apply for.

Reactions: Kangaeroo

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Friend got surprised the other day when he needed to invoke the rescue service included in his AU insurance. They'll take the broken bike anywhere up to 50 km... but not the rider.

I'm looking at options too, following the bankruptcy of BISPA, so interested in what emerges from this thread.

Kakaku has a listing/comparison, but I think they can all be considered 'sponsored promotions', and from what I've read so far don't include any rescue/pickup service; just injury/3rd party damage liability.

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
indeed, I too was surprised by that AU Sonpo weasel out policy, esp since I now have it and have always assumed they would take both me and the bike. I've had it for about 5 years (2 years policy extended twice) and initially the rider might have been included, but I've checked recently and it is indeed not the case, only the bike.

so next time the policy comes up for a renewal, I'm not going with them. if no one is offering rescue packages, I'll at least get one that does not pretend they do (and charges extra too)