What's new

Cycling in Kyoto - Tour Recommendations ?

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Hi,

I might have the chance to cycle next Sunday in Kyoto, leaving from the Station. Are there any recommended tours, wanted to do 100-150km with some nice climbs. I just used mapmyride and mapped >>this<< but I am not sure how good it is in regards to traffic. Any experience or recommendations?

Thanks,
Malte

Last Sunday I did exactly that tour above, pretty much as planned. Here a short summary in case you also have a chance to ride in Kyoto.

I had a meeting on early Monday morning in Osaka, so I needed to stay overnight to be there on time. I used that chance and brought my bike with me and rode the day before in Kyoto. Therfore I left Shinagawa with the second Shinkansen and arrived in Kyoto around 8:30. I slipped into my bike clothes at the station restroom and put all my bags in the coin locker and left the station at 9AM sharp.

It was little bit chilly (~8C) and all day changed between sunshine, overcast and slight rain, but I was dressed appropriately. The route did lead me over the following passes: Rokutyo Toge (六丁峠), Shinmei Toge (神明峠), Sasari Toge (佐々里峠), Hanasei Toge (花脊峠).
attachment.php

The route plan, as mapped.

attachment.php

On the way out of the city.

attachment.php

Nice views after Rokutyo Toge, many hikers, no cars.

attachment.php

Flat part after descending Shinmei Toge, very little traffic, no trucks. At this point I panicked a bit because I didn't stock up food and my breakfast was already 6h ago. After leaving Kyoto city, there were literally no combinies. I found food then at km40 at Hiyoshicho Damm and eat a well deserved Katsu-Don-Set.

attachment.php

Still empty roads on the way to Sasari Toge.

attachment.php

Back in Kyoto, just right time before sunset.

Was a lot of fun and I found the mountain roads to be even more empty compared with Tokyo. Ahhh, and before returning back home on Monday I took the chance and went to Kurigari Toge, as I have written >>here<<.

Back
Top Bottom