Cycling in Kyoto - Tour Recommendations ?

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
Hi,

I might have the chance to cycle next Sunday in Kyoto, leaving from the Station. Are there any recommended tours, wanted to do 100-150km with some nice climbs. I just used mapmyride and mapped >>this<< but I am not sure how good it is in regards to traffic. Any experience or recommendations?

Thanks,
Malte

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
Last Sunday I did exactly that tour above, pretty much as planned. Here a short summary in case you also have a chance to ride in Kyoto.

I had a meeting on early Monday morning in Osaka, so I needed to stay overnight to be there on time. I used that chance and brought my bike with me and rode the day before in Kyoto. Therfore I left Shinagawa with the second Shinkansen and arrived in Kyoto around 8:30. I slipped into my bike clothes at the station restroom and put all my bags in the coin locker and left the station at 9AM sharp.

It was little bit chilly (~8C) and all day changed between sunshine, overcast and slight rain, but I was dressed appropriately. The route did lead me over the following passes: Rokutyo Toge (六丁峠), Shinmei Toge (神明峠), Sasari Toge (佐々里峠), Hanasei Toge (花脊峠).
attachment.php?attachmentid=947&d=1323223444

The route plan, as mapped.

attachment.php?attachmentid=948&d=1323223444

On the way out of the city.

attachment.php?attachmentid=949&d=1323223444

Nice views after Rokutyo Toge, many hikers, no cars.

attachment.php?attachmentid=950&d=1323223444

Flat part after descending Shinmei Toge, very little traffic, no trucks. At this point I panicked a bit because I didn't stock up food and my breakfast was already 6h ago. After leaving Kyoto city, there were literally no combinies. I found food then at km40 at Hiyoshicho Damm and eat a well deserved Katsu-Don-Set.

attachment.php?attachmentid=951&d=1323223444

Still empty roads on the way to Sasari Toge.

attachment.php?attachmentid=952&d=1323223444

Back in Kyoto, just right time before sunset.

Was a lot of fun and I found the mountain roads to be even more empty compared with Tokyo. Ahhh, and before returning back home on Monday I took the chance and went to Kurigari Toge, as I have written >>here<<.