What's new

Cycling Events in Japan during 22nd to 26th May

stefano

Warming-Up
Jan 8, 2014
Hi all,
I am visiting Japan form the 22th to the 26th.I would like to spend all 4 days cycling to then write about it in the website SaddleDrunk.com I would like to ride around the mountain of MT Fuji,but also any other areas.
I would like to experience the chance to live and eat like a local rider,I will write about the Japan experience in various websites apart from the one above mentioned.
Therefore, I am looking for any cyclist willing to help me,looking for cycling events,cycling race that i can take part as foreigner.
Please do not hesitate to contact me on [email protected]
many thaks

If I were you, I would bee-line it to one of the following places:

1) Hakuba - Great long climbs, excellent local food, many route choices, easy to get to on the Super Azusa Train
2) Kusatsu, Gunma - Super onsen, good local food, insane climbing. (hard to get too)
3) Kyoto - Excellent backroad riding just outside of Kyoto, its Kyoto...center of cultural Japan.

Stay at one of the above locations, and ride there the whole time, with maybe a day or two in Tokyo at the end to finish things off.
They all offer great riding, scenic views, and have fantastic local food. Hakuba and Kusatsu both have pensions/B&B's that are very affordable.

If you wanted to join an event, the Matsumoto Century Ride (near Hakuba) is on that weekend. Great casual ride, and very easy to get to from Tokyo.
I myself would prefer to ride that area solo or with a small group of friends....but if you want a big group, then this is a good option.
You could do the ride, the spend the other days in Hakuba which is only ~50km from Matsumoto.

http://www.aacr.jp/

My riding buddy also runs a pension in Hakuba, and knows the roads super well...so if you end up going there, I can ask him for route suggestions. The german national team stayed in Hakuba before the Beijing Olympics to do their final ride prep.

http://www.hakuba-santana.com/

As for actual racing, I wouldnt bother...considering the hassle of licensing, short race distances, etc. Tour of Japan is happening during that time as well, it could be nice to see the final Tokyo stage held out in Oifuto, otherwise I would def. skip it and go to one of the above locations for some superb riding.

http://www.toj.co.jp/2014/team/index.php#ovs

What would you be your favourite?
will you be around for rides?

I have looked Hakuba it seems really good..does anyone has some routes?

also i have heard that there is a race on sunday at new tokyo circuit.is it any good?

Hi all,
I am visiting Japan form the 22th to the 26th.I would like to spend all 4 days cycling to then write about it in the website SaddleDrunk.com I would like to ride around the mountain of MT Fuji,but also any other areas.
I would like to experience the chance to live and eat like a local rider,I will write about the Japan experience in various websites apart from the one above mentioned.
Therefore, I am looking for any cyclist willing to help me,looking for cycling events,cycling race that i can take part as foreigner.
Please do not hesitate to contact me on [email protected]
many thaks
22nd to 26th.... of which month?

Of those three, I would choose either Hakuba or Kyoto. Both are easily accessible from Tokyo....with Kyoto a ~2hr30min Shinkansen ride, and Hakuba a 3 or 4 hour express train ride.
With Kyoto you will have the added benefit of being in a large city and all it has to offer. Hakuba is more off the beaten path.

Unfortunately I will not be in Japan then, but if you do end up going to Hak or Kyoto, I can send you some ride details.

Top photo is Hakuba, bottom is Kyoto...so a bit different terrain. 10257359_10152176836323440_1813071575734517109_o.jpg 936574_10151575837064521_860080522_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom