What's new

Cycling diet and Japanese groceries

What sort of features should one look for in a bread maker?

And what's a reasonable price?

Use your rice cooker! Makes fantastic cottage loaves!

Most rural places have little mom and pop shops with cheap seasonal local vegetables. Ask around.

In my experience going wheat free, you loose weight for a month just because you get sick of rice and can't eat what you're used to. Plus no breaded fried things, no cookies, no pizza, no noodles, no omiyage that your coworkers are passing around, no cream sauces, no beer. Similarly, a friend lost weight by only eating with chopsticks in his left hand. It was such a pain he ate way less.

Gimmicky, but could be a funny place to start.

I am happy to share with you all my patented "Tuna fish diet"
Step 1: open the can and place in a sunny window.
Step 2: leave uncovered for several days (longer in winter)
Step 3: when it has developed a "fuzzy" coat, eat with mayo

The resulting food poisoning will shed kilos in a matter of days!:eek:

All fads aside:
If your body uses 2,500 cals a day and you eat 2,000 you`ll lose weight
If you eat 3000 cals a day, you`ll gain weight.
Switching from white bread to wholemeal won`t make a noticeable difference to your weight. Does taste better though!
When I make bread I use white flour but add some wheat germ from Kaldi. (Usually chopped dates, cranberries and walnuts too!)

I'm pretty good at eating with my left hand, sadly. hahah.

I've been counting calories forever and I've dropped a few pounds, but I haven't made any significant gains in months.

Too much weight loss here, good things to eat seems to have gotten lost.

As I think was mentioned:
http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongnutrition/p/pollan.htm

Lentils or other dals with some cheaper/older veggies or any kind of potato pureed in, add some meat if you want for taste or that kind of protein (I always do).

Genmai on the side or under it if you want.

Same for curries.

Bought two packs of cheap string beans today at the super, from Oman.

The healthiest, leanest, most energetic and well-mannered person I know has a very special diet.

He has 3 meals a day. He never has a snack in-between.

His meals consist of precision weighed amounts of carbohydrate (bread or rice), protein (tofu, beans, dairy or fish) and other essentials (a whole variety of fruits and veggies). He never leaves his food but always craves that little bit more.

He eats no additives including salt or sugar. He eats nothing fried. He only drinks water.

He is the perfect weight and size for his age.

It's a pity his dad, who is instrumental in managing this diet, can't follow the same rules. The 8 pints of Guinness, 2 pizzas and camembert cheese spaghetti (!) that show up on last night's bar tab would give him enough calories to ride to Tokyo and back….

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

If your body uses 2,500 cals a day and you eat 2,000 you`ll lose weight
If you eat 3000 cals a day, you`ll gain weight.
Switching from white bread to wholemeal won`t make a noticeable difference to your weight. Does taste better though!
When I make bread I use white flour but add some wheat germ from Kaldi. (Usually chopped dates, cranberries and walnuts too!)

Reading this thread, I remembered reading an article a while back that was stating that looking at calorie intake without examing what form those calories take is a misnomer, and that two foods with the same calorie content would not necessarily result in the same amount of calories being available to the body due to the processing the body needs to undertake to extract the calories. Hence, measuring calorie content of food by the energy produced when it is burnt is not relevant as our bodies don`t process energy from food in this way. I can`t remember where the article was from and I don`t have the time to do a long search now but this article states something similar.

"Let's take a pure food example to illustrate how this works," says Anne-Marie Nocton, MS, MPH, RD. "If someone were to eat all of her daily caloric requirement as fried onion rings, would the body respond the same way as if all of the calories came from raw spinach? No, because caloric absorption is affected by the composition of the food itself and by the amount of energy it takes the body to process that food. In this example, the body doesn't need to expend many calories to digest and store fat (in the onion rings) because the digestion and storage process isn't very complex. But the spinach contains fiber, and the structure of a fibrous food means that some of the calories will be 'lost' because the body cannot break it all down."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KGB/is_10_5/ai_n8694278/

3) Mind your zones. If you really want to lose weight, then ride in fatburn zone. At least 2hrs and 3x a week.

I`ve read quite a few articles recently that would disagree with you on this point. Here are two for starters:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm
"If you want to lose a few pounds you need to do long, slow, steady-state aerobic exercise in the fat burning zone." Heard this advice before? It's one of the biggest misconceptions in the exercise and weight-loss world. If long, slow, steady-state aerobics was the key to fat loss every person who crosses the finish line of a marathon or Ironman would have very low body fat. This just isn't the case. Numerous people who train for an endurance event gain weight.

http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/Kearns3.html
"Many exercisers are under the mistaken impression that fat is only burned at specific exercise intensities and hence weight loss will only occur if you always exercise at these moderate effort levels. Nothing could be further from the truth! Losing body fat and keeping it off permanently requires a carefully planned exercise program that features aerobic AND anaerobic workouts, as well as careful attention to diet and performance nutrition. Fat is used for fuel during exercise at a variety of intensity levels. At rest and at moderate heart rates, your body's preferred fuel choice is fat. As exercise intensity increases, you burn progressively more glucose. At anaerobic threshold heart rates, you burn almost entirely glucose and very little fat"

Sikochi..... I've read these two also and while interesting they don't really touch on the real crux of the subject. Weight loss for NON-serious athletes

1st article,

Show me anyone that does Ironman with a body fat % over 10% and I'll buy you a pint. The reason they put on weight is due to muscle mass % increase.

Same goes for marathon runners.

The second article is confusing the subject, when most people talk about weight loss they are really talking about reducing their body fat % and visceral fat rating.

Low intensity work stresses burns fat, thus reducing our BF% if we go anaerobic we are burning glucose and reducing our MM (muscle mass) anaerobic workouts will burn both.

Now in reality we are dropping the fat thinking that we will be lighter and thus climb, cruise faster, however if you are dynamic training and mixing bike work with weights then you're going to burn the fat and replace it with muscle, thus increasing your weight as muscles weighs more than fat.

During the off season riders will ride LSD to drop the fat that they gained in the winter months of indulgence and also hit the gym to turn some of it in to muscle. Then during build phase they will start to burn that slow twitch muscle down and convert to fast twitch and also reduce muscle mass carefully to maintain power but reduce weight.

So who here is actually looking to reduce overall body weight or just their Body fat %?

@FE - good point. Of course I was referring to FAT LOSS and not overall WEIGHT LOSS. Plus - this is more about losing EXCESS fat, quickly. @Sikochi - probably very article on the planet will hav some degree of contradiction. As for me - I'm just monitoring my personal results. The scale doesn't lie (so much anyway). What worked for me may or not work for anyone else. You have to experiment accordingly. The "triple threat" program is what worked for me: Very simply.

1) LSD in Zone 1.

2) Eat lower GI foods predominantly. Especially when not working out hard or continuous.

3) Consistent excercise - everyday. Boosting mtabolism.

After the bulk fat is gone - the work begins to build more lean muscle and tear down at the visceral fat. Different programs for different tasks. There is no 1 size fits all program. And even more so based on the variety of people, activities, goals, etc.

For sure if we had 'the key' - we would all be multi-trillion-ares - look at the spending on weight loss prdts, research, medical, equipment, etc etc etc.

Tim, well it seems your program also works for me ;) In 2010 I lost 12kg and 14% body fat. Maintained a good max wattage output.

Goals for March 2011 is get Body fat% to around 8%

Burn muscle to a lean 76kg and maintain my 5 second peak of 1220w. This is where a very carefull balance of anaerobic and aerobic training comes in to play.

It seems like every single thing anyone has ever or thought or wrote about a diet will eventually considered to be wrong by someone.

If it wasn't for three meters of snow outside I wouldn't be worried, but ATM the indoor poor is the only way I can get decent exercise and I can't bring myself to swim more than a kilo at a time.

I guess I need to break down and get some rollers... neighbors be damned. teehee.

I went through Nishiaizu last summer

I know what you are talking about regarding lack of shopping choice. It was one of rare times in my whole Hokkaidou/Touhoku trip that I went more than an hour without seeing a conbini. Very beautiful countryside.

I am a fat (sometimes) serious athlete. I hold two ultra-endurance indoor rowing world records (100K and 24hrs) and yet was at least 10kg overweight at the time. I weigh less when I am training seriously but I haven't been 'lean' for almost 15 years.

Train at the highest intensity you can sustain for the time you have available for exercise. e.g. if you can sustain 160bpm heart rate for an hour then you will get more weight-loss benefit compared to training at the 'fat-burning' 130 bpm for 1 hour. If you have 5 hrs available then you'll probably benefit more from cruising for 5 hrs compared to 1 hour of more intense exercise. Most people don't have more than an hour or two to train regularly. Go hard.

I know what you are talking about regarding lack of shopping choice. It was one of rare times in my whole Hokkaidou/Touhoku trip that I went more than an hour without seeing a conbini. Very beautiful countryside.

I am a fat (sometimes) serious athlete. I hold two ultra-endurance indoor rowing world records (100K and 24hrs) and yet was at least 10kg overweight at the time. I weigh less when I am training seriously but I haven't been 'lean' for almost 15 years.

Train at the highest intensity you can sustain for the time you have available for exercise. e.g. if you can sustain 160bpm heart rate for an hour then you will get more weight-loss benefit compared to training at the 'fat-burning' 130 bpm for 1 hour. If you have 5 hrs available then you'll probably benefit more from cruising for 5 hrs compared to 1 hour of more intense exercise. Most people don't have more than an hour or two to train regularly. Go hard.

Yes, but again this is where burning fat or burning muscle comes in to play. Going hard at it will burn muscle.... period. You'll lose more weight for the simple reason that muscle weighs more than fat!

And it brings us back to the question I posted earlier,

Are you looking to just reduce your weight or looking to reduce body fat %?

It seems like every single thing anyone has ever or thought or wrote about a diet will eventually considered to be wrong by someone.

If it wasn't for three meters of snow outside I wouldn't be worried, but ATM the indoor poor is the only way I can get decent exercise and I can't bring myself to swim more than a kilo at a time.

I guess I need to break down and get some rollers... neighbors be damned. teehee.

Buy a snow shovel and offer to shovel people out, or just shovel around the hood, in front of parks and such, heck shovel out a park :rolleyes: :D

I wish I could swim in pools, but I'm allergic to the chlorine in pools, I can hardly be in the pool room, let alone actually swim :(

Swimming is great for fat guys, we float well and it is low impact!:rolleyes:

Curiosity: How much more than fat does muscle weigh? Is it expressed for a given volume, ratio of one to the other?

Muscle is more dense than fat so generally when you build muscle you will gain weight in muscle before you lose weight in fat... although more muscle generally means it's easier to burn fat.

I don't care about my total weight, I simply don't want to carry around weight that isn't doing anything (fat). According to one of those hand-held fat units I'm at about 15% (although it has shown as low as 13 and as high as 19 inside a span of two weeks), and have about 13 kg's of body fat. So if I lose 10 kg of fat I would be 75 kg with 4 percent body fat... hmm, seems like wishful thinking.

I would prefer to keep the muscle I have, but want a better power to weight ratio (for running, cycling, life).

Curiosity: How much more than fat does muscle weigh? Is it expressed for a given volume, ratio of one to the other?

If you add the qualifier of a set volume, you can get an answer, but a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, that is they both weigh a pound :D

Muscle: 1.06g/ml
fat: 0.9g/ml

Is what I found by googling it...
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=576481 ,second
post down.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom