What's new

Help Cyclecross 2013/2014 Season - Basic Questions

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Hi guys,

some general questions about attending CX races in Japan.
I see there are a set of series (e.g Shinshu or GP-Mistral ...) - how do I register for those (are they all on sportsentry)? and what license do I need for those (is AJOOC enough)?

How can I sign up for AJOOC license and what is the difference between the free license and the regular one?

Cheers,
Malte

Ok this is how the system breaks down:

JCF - UCI Events: UCI License required ; This is obtained through your prefectural cycling federation

AJOCC Events - This is the national CX points system; AJOCC License require; This is issued free of charge by the AJOCC federation on entry of your 1st C3 race, it is not a paper license but a number that you will get from the AJOCC website, normally on the results page.

JECX Events - Japan East CycloCross; GP Mistral and Tohoku CX Project; AJOCC license number required

JCXS Events - Japan Cyclocross Series; This is a new organization of 12 races (9 confirmed) You will need a JCF/JBCF license to race in these events - also if you want to race Tokyo CX 2014 you will need to have raced and be placed in the top percentage as they will only be selecting the top riders from each category (this may change).

Also the BIG events in Japan including ALL the UCI events are backing this series so I suggest support these events.

In regards to entering:

Most races will be on SportsEntry - however other events are like the JCRC and will require you to fill in an online form and then send the money through bank transfer.

If you are entering through sports entry and have a JBCF license then put it in, the JBCF has a pretty good insurance system if you crash and get injured while racing.

Last edited:
I will post more on this later.

James, do you know how to register for the Mistral Events? The GP Mistral webpage seems broken. According to this page the first race would already be 10/6, but I could not find anything on sportsentry yet.

Updated my original post.

Malte entry for that race has not opened yet and normally entry starts about 1 month before the event GP Mistral uses the online entry form and money transfer to the bank.

GP MISTRAL Home Page

How can I sign up for AJOOC license and what is the difference between the free license and the regular one?

AJOCC is free there is no other CX specific license, however if you want to race JCXS events you will need to apply for a JCF license from your prefectural cycling federation. This will cost 6,000 JPY and valid until March 30th 2014 (regardless of when you apply). One of thee issues however is that you will need to belong to a JCF registered team - there is no individual license so you will either need to join a local club or get the TCC registered - which is not free.

The JCF license comes with race insurance, so if you crash your medical bills get covered - I know riders that have been airlifted to hospital which was full covered - also you are covered if 3 members of your team are with you when training.

Please don't tell anybody, but I completed a JCF registration as an individual. Wonder if I'm covered under their insurance, but afraid to ask now, as I don't belong to a jcf team.

From the other thread ...
Don't worry if you don't have a CX bike, you can ride C3 and C2 on Mtb, standard road bikes and mamachari if you want (Electric assist aren't allowed)

AJOCC Events - This is the national CX points system; AJOCC License require; This is issued free of charge by the AJOCC federation on entry of your 1st C3 race, it is not a paper license but a number that you will get from the AJOCC website, normally on the results page.

So the noob class is C3.
When you do your C3, next time you apply do you automagically get C2? Or you still have the option of getting C3 (until you get bored riding C3)?
How friendly are the events to a non-Japanese speaking foreigner?

Ok C3 is not noob class, far from it in fact as only the top 3 riders can be promoted in to C2 and only when a certain % of riders are racing. So you'll find the level of competition very high and unlike road racing there is a starting grid so if you have a no points or low point standings you'll start at the back of the grid making it very hard to leap frog to the front. Throw in the steeples, chicanes, stairs, flyovers, mud, sand and single track and you'll appreciate why the level even in C3 is so high.

I found the events super friendly, it's cyclocross after all! However you'll need some Japanese to work your way through registration and rules and regulations - oh and Cyclocross is a contact sport, don't go getting the hump if someone shoulder barges you as you enter a single track section. But compared to CX in Europe its tame in comparison.

Only one question, are there pretzel stands?

You will be put in the same ranking as your AJOCC license so no point trying for E1 or or Elite/Pro. To be honest you also need to stop thinking of E3 (C3 as beginner class.) It's not and I would be very surprised if you won your first C3 race.

Malte - I didn't mean that in an elitist or condescending way. There are a lot of very good riders in C3 (E3) but due to only the top 3 riders getting promoted and only the top 3 in the points ranking at the end of the season get to go up to C2 (E2) you end up with some great riders in the lower ranks, both the country manager for Champion System and Bio Racer were locked in personal battles to get promoted last season both only made it right at the end.

The other issue of jumping up a rank is you grid position - you'll always start at the back as you have no points, working your way up the ranks enables you to carry points to the next ranking and thus place you closer to the front line but the further back you are the harder it becomes to jump riders in the race and a lot of the time you end up keeping pace with the leaders but 300m back.

I would start C3 (E3) and work your way up otherwise you could find your self stuck in a Cat unable to move up the grids as riders from the lower ranks get promoted and jump the line so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom