What's new

Cycle Mode International 2012

Just a show, with maybe someone doing tricks on a BMX (?)

I do wish they wouldn't hold it at Makuhari. Such a horrible place to ride to, from any direction. But I suppose it's a B2B thing, primarily, and if Joe Q Punter has already got a bike (to ride to the show) then that's a business opportunity gone - he's not going to buy another to ride home on.

Even the Fuchū branch of Y's has more goodies than I have energy to appreciate, it has a good supply of stuff at unintentionally hilarious prices, it has a hook from which I can hang up my own bike so that its greasy bits may alarm and appal the owners of the sparkling wonders by De Rosa etc that surround it, the shop is on my way to other places, and entrance to it is free. Plus I'm not modish. So I'll sit out this event.

And aargh, that video! Similar grisly techno-muzak to what you get at Y's, plus people shouting at me the viewer. I'd pay money not to go!

Most of the interesting brands have chosen NOT to be there. If you dig cycling wear and want to wait in a queue for more than 3hrs to test ride a bike that doesn't fit anyway while eating stale hotdogs and wishing the whole thing was just somehow interesting - then it's probably worth a gander. On the whole - even for cycling enthusiasts this has to be the most NON EVENT on the planet. Not to mention the location which is one of the CRAPPIEST CYCLING ROUTES on the planet. I've gone the last few years and even worked there. The best part about the event was the other exhibitions at Makuhari being held at the same time. This year it looks like the EXTRA CORPREAL TECHNOLOGY in MEDICINE will be holding their exhibits at the same time! Now, THIS could get me there! The prospects of at least trying out one of the new blood cleaning /re-infusion machines, dialysis or hey, even a small embalming demo!!

Is this just a show, or is there a race as well?

Nope its a B2B trade show as for racing the final JBCF - JCF race will be held on the Saturday or Sunday. (I should find out as I'm racing it)

2013 will be actually be more consumer focused and I know for a fact that they will hold not only the final JBCF race but also using one of the other conference centres hold an Indoor CX race (open entry as well as UCI)

Amazing brainfart they'd think to add an actual CYCLING RELATED event, huh? Yeah, this show is really bizarre - both from the standpoint of a business and a consumer. I think it's much more B2C than B, though - most Japanese exhibitions follow the same format in trying to gain as much brand recognition through mass-oriented gatherings featuring plenty of 'kawaii'. Even Taiwan has become more of Trading Company Show than a real mfg or innovator showcase.

In point - NOT ATTENDING:

Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Giant. It's like having the Tokyo Motor Show with Ford, GM, Mercedes and Honda not there.

If you want real B2B, then Interbike or Eurobike is far better. Plus it's just following the Haute Route so you can really have your cake and eat it too!

Also - bear in mind very few of the actual mfg are present. Generally it's just their local, mainly mis-informed, distributors-who-don't-stock-anything-anyway stuffing the booths with whatever 'staff support' they can cajole with promise of a crappy train ride and 500 yen bento. So, if you're looking for real knowledge about the prdts 88% of them are so called 'repping' , good luck!

Nope its a B2B trade show as for racing the final JBCF - JCF race will be held on the Saturday or Sunday. (I should find out as I'm racing it)

2013 will be actually be more consumer focused and I know for a fact that they will hold not only the final JBCF race but also using one of the other conference centres hold an Indoor CX race (open entry as well as UCI)

I think Tim's just bitter because he couldn't get a booth. ;)

I've been every year for the past 4 years and I've always enjoyed it. I suggest that if you've never been - go and make up your own opinion.

Actually it's a no brainer to get a booth. And really, from the mfg perspective, why bother? Selling a prdt in Japan is Not About the Booth (thanks, Lance). It's about accepting the beleaugered distribution oligarchy and not trying to 'push a rope' . In fact they were practically begging vendors to sign up to their koolaid test.

I'll probably show up as a courtesy to one of our sponsers who's requested my Haute Route bike for demo.

I think Tim's just bitter because he couldn't get a booth. ;)

I've been every year for the past 4 years and I've always enjoyed it. I suggest that if you've never been - go and make up your own opinion.

Despite all the negativity and the other points, I suppose the most crucial point is whether they have race queens or their equivalent there.

Amazing what some guys will do to take advantage of the half price "Ladies ticket" ;)

Yes, most of these shows are just 'shows'. I enjoy them when I go, but not really much different each year. Bringing out a new model every year is a bit of overkill. My Trek aging still like new 5.2 Madone was almost the same as what they had on show last year. In fact, I think some of the older models are better. Lighter and more expensive often means weaker and less likely to last as long.
I did a Makuhari Messe show once with my own booth. 'Sports & Leirsure Fair' about 15 years ago. Got over 200 business cards from buyers. 18 inquiries, 3 sales, (1 biggish sale). A year later my innovative coming into fashion surfing product was all over the country coming from other countries and suppliers. All I did was alert all these buyers to the trend.

Won't be going this year as my torn calf muscle is still slowly mending.

I would just like to say that coming from an easterly direction along Inage Kaigan beach, the cycling route to Makuhari Messe is absolutely fantastic (as far as suburbanish urbanish cycling goes).

I'm still not going though. ;)

Also coming from the north along the river,is it the Kemigawa?,is a very pleasant ride.

What about the Handmade Bicycle Fair? In the past (e.g. 2010) it was held in January; has it died out, or is another one coming?

It interests me because the wares seem odder and the photos I see suggest that there are no crowds.

What about the Handmade Bicycle Fair? In the past (e.g. 2010) it was held in January; has it died out, or is another one coming?

It interests me because the wares seem odder and the photos I see suggest that there are no crowds.

read your last sentance to see the reason for the first ;)

If it has stopped, that's a great pity.

I wonder what's going on in the upper end of the Japanese frame/assembly industry. There seem to be plenty of frame-builders and so forth. But I rarely if ever see their products. Or perhaps I do see their products, but these tastefully refrain from shouting brand names at me. Anyway, as I putter around Tokyo or along Tamagawa Cycling Road, the brand names that are broadcast to me, again and again and again, all seem to be American, Taiwanese and Italian. (And "Felt", "Focus" and [the ultimate brand name?] "Look", wherever they might come from.)

Of course, Tamagawa Cycling Road is perfectly navigable with a mamachari, and the stream of "Pinarello" etc along it is a bit of a joke. (If you ride a Pinarello, dear reader, don't take offence. My sedate riding of a much cheaper but yet unnecessarily sporty bike also strikes me as a joke.) Could it be that the Kalavinka, Amuna, Ravanello and yes Panasonic bikes are where they belong, climbing over mountain passes? I'd like to think so. Well, I'd like to see for myself, but I need to build up some muscles first, and the next two weekends are ruined by work appointments.

I won't be going this year--have riding to do--but generally enjoy the show... Never took advantage of the test riding thing because they never have bikes my size, but it's still a lot of fun to wander around and check out the new bling and the surprising niche stuff that various folk are trying to establish. It does seem more to me to be a PR exercise...very similar to the Tokyo Game Show in that respect, which even on "industry" day is more about marketing new product to consumers than backroom deals, which as far as I know hardly ever happens.

And let me add my voice to the suburbanite chorus and point out that Makuhari is a breeze to get to by bike or car from anywhere east of Funabashi, pretty much. The Tokyo <> Funabashi is the awkward bit, I guess...

Back
Top Bottom