Custom carbon

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Do you need custom for a special fit or for original aesthetics?

I went custom for a range of features that weren't so readily available back in 1998, and then three or four years later the gravel bike boom hit.
I went with Carl Strong at Strong frames who is a master steel and Ti builder but has also built with carbon since about 2010 and since 2017 or so been working with carbon engineers at Pursuit
It sounds like you aren't sure exactly what you want but a call to an experienced builder just to pick his brains might be a good idea. Carls pretty available on Skype (i introduced him to it) and is a very no pressure bloke. Super easy to talk to. That would be my recommendation, talk to a variety of builders and find out if you really do need custom and if so, what.
Oh and list down on paper your needs and questions and that list should change as you get more first hand knowledge.
Good luck.

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
It's not for any reason in particular. I'm not thinking about it seriously at the moment. It's more a vague idea than anything else, and I'm simply curious about those two frame builders. If it ever happens, I'll definitely be going carbon. Thanks for the suggestion though.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
IMHO if you get a custom frame, you should know your bike fit and what you want to get out of your next bike. Do you want something sporty and stiff? Or a do-it-all bike? Also, (quality) custom bikes will be expensive, so brace yourself.