What's new

Crit's in Tokyo

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Crits in Tokyo

So I'm going to start a structured training program and my target is local and regional criteriums.

In Vancouver we have a Tuesday night crit series at a local location that everyone easily get to; I'm also interested in "spring classics", but I would like to focus on the crits at first.

Is there anything like this in Tokyo (criterium) or Japan (spring classics)

Cheers

Hi Josh, there is no apostrophe before a plural s, such as in "crits" or "criteriums".

I took a look JCF's (the Japanese cycling federation) site and all they show are various races scattered throughout Japan.

Google and see

Just so it doesn't seem that nobody wants to share info. There is no regular crit circuit in Tokyo, except impromptu challenges during training rounds around the palace and oifuto ward.

But you are lucky, JCRC is hosting its crit season in Saitama. 4 races in dec+jan
END OF SIGNUP IS TODAY!

Thanks. I'm on the Japan JCRC site now w/ Google translate, but have no idea how to find info on those races.

Also...wondering if there are any races around Yokohama that folks know about. I would like to just get into some races and then learn my way around. I guess another way is to join some shop rides of local shops around me (Yokosuka).

It may work for some better than others, though i have found the easiest way to get involved in racing is to join one of the japanese 'teams', they are kind of like mini clubs and usually have a couple of individuals who are very helpful in arranging entry and giving notice of events,

.. i haven't met any that can operate in english yet, so there in lies the challenge..

Thanks...to join a "team", assume I just go to one of the local shops and ask about it? Last time I asked them about the "team", they asked if I was "really good", so I wasnt sure what they meant and didnt want to get dropped by a bunch of Cat 1/2 dudes during a group ride after I joined the "team".

Thanks...to join a "team", assume I just go to one of the local shops and ask about it? Last time I asked them about the "team", they asked if I was "really good", so I wasnt sure what they meant and didnt want to get dropped by a bunch of Cat 1/2 dudes during a group ride after I joined the "team".

most of the shop based teams around tokyo seem to cater for all levels, i just started turning up to training rides, generally if you can keep up and ride safely you generally get accepted as one of the group pretty quickly,

racing on the other hand does not cater for many levels, you have to be quick or you're out the back or on the ground rather promptly

Just so it doesn't seem that nobody wants to share info. There is no regular crit circuit in Tokyo, except impromptu challenges during training rounds around the palace and oifuto ward.

But you are lucky, JCRC is hosting its crit season in Saitama. 4 races in dec+jan
END OF SIGNUP IS TODAY!

December and January... That's no favor...

I'm not ready yet but maybe in the spring, do you need a license? In Canada they require it, and you have to earn experience signatures by attending a race course and doing novice races before you can jump into the actual races.

Go to nalashima bike shops and ask, they asked me to join their rides but I felt I wasn't up to it because the summer heat was killing every ride for me, or killing me on every ride...

END OF SIGNUP IS TODAY!

I found this, but the application period there appears to have ended yesterday:
https://www.jcrc-net.jp/entryform/entryform_12crite.htm

December and January... That's no favor...

I'm not ready yet but maybe in the spring, do you need a license? In Canada they require it, and you have to earn experience signatures by attending a race course and doing novice races before you can jump into the actual races.

Sorry I can't be of more help. There's information on signing up with jcrc, which is not difficult at all, but in Japanese. For all their races including the crits, there are multiple levels including beginner. Try searching TCC.

Jcbf also hosts some crit races throughout the year, but for these you must be registered with a racing team and be pretty fast.

If you are willing to travel, you have some options throughout the year, but the saitama winter circuit is the closest thing to regular crits near Tokyo.

An additional tidbit, where I don't have further information is the Ys road festival with some crit races. I heard it will be in the next couple of weeks...

As far as I remember, aside from January - Motegi twin ring circuit hold a cycling race in April or May? The same with Fuji Speedway when they hold usually in July.

You may want to add those to your race calendar as well.

So I'm going to start a structured training program and my target is local and regional criteriums.

In Vancouver we have a Tuesday night crit series at a local location that everyone easily get to; I'm also interested in "spring classics", but I would like to focus on the crits at first.

Is there anything like this in Tokyo (criterium) or Japan (spring classics)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom