Creaky quill stem

Apr 3, 2012
Boso
I recently replaced the stem on my commuting bike with an extra long Nitto Technomic stem ( http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/nitto-technomic-stem-tall-26-0-clamp.html ) to make my too small bike a little less too small.
From the start it has emitted a horrible creaking noise. I can't tell if the sound is coming from the handlebar / stem contact point, or from the stem / steerer contact point, but it feels like there is a little bit of play in the stem. I'm relatively certain everything is sized correctly. I have 26 mm handlebars (or at least I think I do. I bought a 25.4 -26 mm shim just to check and the shim didn't fit). Steerer is 22.2 mm. Everything is well greased and tightened and I'm all out of ideas.

Any advice? Thanks.

Apr 3, 2012
Boso
Ha. Already got the new bike. That's why this one has been demoted to commuter.
The max height is well below the headset.
I think I will try putting the original stem back on and see if the problem persists. I really like the extra height I get with the Nitto stem though.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Is the stem too long? By that I mean is it extending too far down the head tube and perhaps clamping onto a butted section of tubing?

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Surprised and sorry to hear it: I've just had the very same transplant done to my bike, and I haven't noticed any creak.

If you haven't already seen this, here's Sheldon Brown on associated noises.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Is the stem too long? By that I mean is it extending too far down the head tube and perhaps clamping onto a butted section of tubing?
it clamps into the fork.

when does it creak? Are you pulling on the bar, just resting on the tops, resting on the hoods? A bit more info' might help us to track it down. Is there any play on the stem when you lock the front wheel and rock back and forth, place your hand at the bottom of the stem just above the locknut and you'll feel if there is any play.

Check your brake levers are securely tightened onto the handlebars.

Take off the bars and in a quiet flat street ride it holding on the stem see if there is any creaking. Your bar maybe a 25.8 so a short bit of drink can cut into a half shim should snug it up, open the clamp when you slip it in the clamp.

Goodluck.

FE is selling a Pinarello if you want another junker as a commuter.

Apr 3, 2012
Boso
Is there any play on the stem when you lock the front wheel and rock back and forth, place your hand at the bottom of the stem just above the locknut and you'll feel if there is any play.
This!!!! Just took the bike around the neighborhood for a check. There's pretty significant play when I break hard or pull up or put weight on the bars. That's also when it makes the sound.