What's new

crash

Hope you and the new bike are okay, Owen; let us know how you get on.

Great to know you're okay. I just read the news by keren which truck driver hit 6 triathlete in Canada and most of them dead in the road. Let's just be careful...:eek:

Cheers for the support.

Was riding past a taxi rank and some woman stepped right into my path (obviously without looking).

Swerved to avoid her and decked it.

Hit my knee pretty hard and hurt my hands too.

The woman started pretending I had hit her leg, which I DEFINITELY did not do. Unbelievable behaviour.

Taxi driver was pretty nice and called an ambulance. The woman didn't even say sorry or anything.

I am OK, and pretty much didn't need to go to hospital, but when in Rome and all that.

Bike is OK. Scratched brake lever / shifter. Nothing major.

Can't believe the behaviour of the woman!

Glad you're OK Owen. That woman sounds like a right bitch:mad: Make sure you do hit her next time:D

Similar thing happened to me this winter - though it was a delivery guy (Calpis) ran straight across the road and broadsided me. The police said that since I was on the larger 'vehicle' fault would be assigned to me regardless of the actual cause of the accident. Then you need to argue from there. I photo'd everything and sent nasty letters to Calpis. I wish I'd had insurance just so I could make a claim through a company rather than personally. In any case - you're really lucky you didn't hit the lady - even its her fault - she'd be able to claim against you!!

Hitting pedestrians...

Glad you're mostly okay, Owen, and I'm especially glad you missed the woman!

Was talking to my insurance guy from my own recent crash and the _worse_ pedestrians can ever do against a larger vehicle is 50-50 blame--and if you injure them when, say, riding "too fast" or blowing a light you could easily be liable for damages in the millions of yen, not to mention criminal charges.

It's the same policy (big vehicle wrong) that means we usually come out on top (er, in the insurance/liability sense) in bike-car collisions, so it's fair I guess.

There was an article in Cycle Sports a few months back in which the journalist attended court to hear a series of cases of cyclists being charged after hitting and injuring pedestrians. Scary stuff, and the reason I'm getting cycling insurance from now on.

There's an insurance thread that's been stickied--glance around for that.

There's an insurance thread that's been stickied--glance around for that.

Yes, have followed it, but only one company got mentioned and is no longer offering policies...

Or have I missed something?

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah, Phil, I really was nowhere near the woman, and she started pulling that stunt.

I even said, as I was laying on the ground, one shoe clipped in, "there is no WAY I touched you. No f-ing WAY".

She continued play-acting, rubbing her leg.

I think it is time I got insurance!

Thanks, Phil. Which insurance will you get? I should also get one.

I'm thinking of getting it through a local bike shop that has a team and optional insurance. I know some cycling organizations offer insurance with membership, Audax Japan for example.

Insurance

Glad you're mostly okay, Owen, and I'm especially glad you missed the woman!

Was talking to my insurance guy from my own recent crash and the _worse_ pedestrians can ever do against a larger vehicle is 50-50 blame--and if you injure them when, say, riding "too fast" or blowing a light you could easily be liable for damages in the millions of yen, not to mention criminal charges.

It's the same policy (big vehicle wrong) that means we usually come out on top (er, in the insurance/liability sense) in bike-car collisions, so it's fair I guess.

There was an article in Cycle Sports a few months back in which the journalist attended court to hear a series of cases of cyclists being charged after hitting and injuring pedestrians. Scary stuff, and the reason I'm getting cycling insurance from now on.

Getting insurance - this is something I`ll consider doing as well.

Re: insurance--I thought the stickied thread ( https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=867&page=2 ) talked more about specific companies, but besides mont belle and maybe coverage thru a cycle club, the only (?) other things mentioned there are in posts #18 and #19, neither of which will be available again till next April 1st (given that the advance paperwork gets done). Not very convenient.

I did some searching but was unable to find a thread (threads?) from a year and a half or two years ago that discussed different companies and policies. (seems it might have been smr/fall 2008) Probably a couple months before my post #18 in the above thread. Does anyone remember something like that?

Absolutely INFURIATING!

One of the biggest gripes I've had since I started riding is against those people (not just pedestrians) who "move into another person's line of movement WITHOUT LOOKING!"
I mean, what happened to "right of way"? What happened to good ol' common courtesy? Or general consideration?
What happened to COMMON SENSE?

The law, as it stands, is doing nothing more than breeding that kind of behavior, that tells people they don't have to look before they do anything because at worst "they'll only be held 50% responsible".

I've had 3 accidents in the last 6 years (one of them, serious), and they have ALL been with "mama-chari"s, the riders of which DID NOT LOOK WHERE THEY WERE GOING.

Absolutely disgusting behavior!

Anyway Owen, I'm glad you (and bike) weren't too badly injured.
Travis

I mean, what happened to "right of way"? What happened to good ol' common courtesy? Or general consideration? What happened to COMMON SENSE?
It's been superceded by keitai novels and texting.

As I see a keitai zombie stepping into the road I'll frequently shout "全く見てないな〜" ("You're not looking at all, are you?") Really loud. This takes about 3 seconds, which is usually the same length of time (1) it takes me to get level with them, and (2) it takes my screams to permeate their consciousness. Their facial expressions are priceless. 'What? There's someone using my road?' WHOOSH!
The law [..] is doing nothing more than breeding that kind of behavior
And also, sadly, hit-and-runs. Driver/rider knows he's going to get a heap of trouble even if he's not at fault, making it tempting to not stick around.

Part of the problem is that a properly tuned bike is virtually silent in motion. Even quieter than a hybrid car. I haven't worn my whistle while riding for a while now. It was really effective. Maybe time to bring it out of retirement!? Loud jerseys are no help if they're not looking. I'd get an air horn but need my bottle cages for drinks.

--HF Mike--

Back
Top Bottom