What's new

Crash Report

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
TCCer down, and this time it is me. So I thought I would post a quick report / warning about the road I was on.

On Sunday 11th Aug I was about coming down a road that I have done many times before, a back road from route 138 to Odawara here. I was going my normal speed, looking forward to pizza at the station at the finish of my ride. Conditions were good, dry road, although it was very hot.

The road has several drainage ditches which are covered with metal grates. I'm usually a bit cautious over these, especially in the wet. Even when dry they shake the bike a bit. But on Sunday as I crossed one I felt my front wheel give way, then the bike stopped completely and spat me onto the ground head first. I thought the grating had collapsed, but in fact there were two separate grates with a narrow gap between them, just wide enough for my tyre to slip down. I did not even see that there was nothing to support my wheel. So my front wheel had hit the far side of the ditch with a lot of force.
Like this
General+Drainage+Hazzards.jpg

But the gap was the same as the grating pitch. (Thanks joewein for finding this pic)

I just had time to realise I was going to crash hard, then my head hit the ground. My helmet took the direct impact, my sunglasses exploded into about 20 pieces, then I was flipped over onto my back. I did not slide or tumble, just stopped.

The outcome:
30+ stitches to the face and mouth
Cracked vertebra
Ruined frame and front wheel
Helmet crushed
Bent saddle
One week off work

This was my hardest crash in all my years of biking and I never want to hit the road that hard again!
Take care out there everyone.
AlanW.

Strave Crash Data.jpg Broken Alan Recovery.jpg Broken Cannondale Right.jpgBroken Cannondale Left.jpgDented Wheel.jpgCracked Helmet.jpg

Wow, that gap is lethal. When you feel better you should report the gap to the roading authority so they can wire them together. You probably got off lightly. The face stitches will heal in a couple of weeks, been there, done that. Hope the vertebrae isn't too serious and glad your cognitive function is all okay (helmet debate?). Time to start planning the new bike. Take care and all the best for a speedy recovery.

Ow damn! Just reading this game me physical pain, but thanks for sharing. We can never be too careful.

Hopes for a speedy recovery!

Yeesh. Hope your recovery is as quick as possible.

Is there any way to claim for the damage to your bike? Is there even any kind of insurance coverage for this kind of accident?

Sorry to hear about the off, appreciate you putting up some info to warn the rest of us.

Heal up soon!

Yikes. Hope you recover quickly. I can certainly sympathize after having crashed myself.

Take plenty of rest and thanks for the report. Looks like you're healing well. Thank god you were wearing your helmet!

Alan, I'm much relieved to see that you're recovering well and that the effects weren't even more serious.

I had found the picture I posted in Positivo Espressos excellent "Tokyo: Road, Signs, Rules" article. I bet you will aim for the middle portion of such grate segments for a while, well away from where they join (or not, as the case may be)...

Alan,

I wish you a speedy recovery and I'm glad that it wasn't even more severe. Thanks for sharing the warning.

Tom

Your report makes for gruesome reading and spells out how these things can happen to anyone, no matter the experience leel. I share in wishing you a speedy recovery and trust the trauma will not rattle your riding.

Thanks for sharing your crash report and photos, I won't be showing the wife.

Get better soon mate. Look on + side, could've lost your teeth or had a Lipovitan dosed truck driver coming down behind you. Take care.

Look on + side, could've lost your teeth
Yeah I recommend against that. (I still have a zillion dental appointments coming up :()

Hope the vertebra pain isn't too bad, or at least the pain killers are on the strong side!

Alan (and Naomi-San), I am shocked to see the pictures of your accident. I hope you will recover fully and quickly. My sincere and best wishes. Philip.

Alan:
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and relieved to hear that it was not worse -- sounds like it could have been!
You definitely should report the crash and the road condition that caused it ... would hate for them not to fix it.
David

Alan, what a horrible accident! I wish you a speedy recovery, you are in good hands.

Back
Top Bottom