What's new

Crash Report (May 26, 2012)

ikedawilliams

Speeding Up
Oct 15, 2010
Got taken out by a car today. Could have been a lot worse. Hard to predict some events, but be careful for unexpected U-turns. Classic, slow down, fake left with no indicator, then go for a quick right hook with no indicator. Attached photos pretty much sum it up.

John, I'm glad you're okay and fortunate that the driver took responsibility. Hopefully the other party has insurance and it gets all sorted.

Very unfortunate indeed and not predictable. I'm glad you are basically fine. This could have ended a lot worse.

Scary! I hate it when that happens! (I had my arm broken in a VERY similar sudden U-turn incident when I was 18 years old. It was a hit-and-run with the emotional scars of being left for dead in the middle of the street sticking around much longer than the physical ones). I'm glad you're OK despite the damage to your bike and it's good to know the driver took responsibility for his inattentive stupidity. BTW, I saw you guys out on the road in Inagi today as you were heading back but there was too much traffic to get your attention.

Bloody hell.

Glad you are still with us. Nasty business.

Take them to the cleaners.

Are you sure you're okay? (Hope so, but...) Sometimes it takes 12-24hrs for some hurts to show.

I was worried about that too, but the police said that the way they were filing the report, I would be able to include any injury related issues to the case as they appeared later. The driver must have asked half a dozen times if I wanted an ambulance, and then when the police arrived, they asked a bunch of times as well. Hope it all works out.

Wow, that's scary. Goes to show, anything can happen. I'm glad you are OK.

Could have been both of us too if I hadn't turned off home just before.

Mikey, we saw you, too.

glad youre OK mate, and so lucky to come away from it like you did. This weeknd all the knob jockeys, motor heads and paper drivers were out in force. I almost got taken out on doushi michi at speed. Hope all the insurance works out for you.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Happy to still have no major pains. I will post an update once the insurance settles out.

Some things I forgot to mention:

Near the end of the police checking the scene, they were trying to find the registration number on my bike, but concluded there wasn't one and let it go with a ''shoganai''.

I had been worried that not having a rear reflector might be an issue in such situations as well, but it did not come up.

If it had been on a road I usually ride, and perhaps I had seen someone pulling a U-turn around me before, the possibility of that happening might have registered. What is more, it was on a road I never take - usually the roads I am on are much more narrow, making U-turns more difficult, and perhaps less common.

Lastly, as my bike was unridable and I was still 10kms from home, the driver offered to drive me home, and the cops encouraged me to go with him, offering to help bring my bike to his car. The driver was nervous, and was driving for a bit with his E-brake on, side view mirror smashed forward with no glass, and some alarm going off when the car was moving forward. I was a little worried he might hit something else before I got home. Wierd too, that they didn't give him a breathalizer. I thought that was standard practice now-a-days, but I guess not, at least here. I don't think he had been drinking, but if you don't check, you don't know.

I think it's weird that 'they' offer to drive you home. I've heard this regarding Taxi incidents as well. Sorry, I'm not getting into the vehicle that just nearly KILLED ME! On the other hand - it is kind of perversely appealing. Like having the opportunity to face fate twice in the same sentence.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Happy to still have no major pains. I will post an update once the insurance settles out.

Some things I forgot to mention:

Near the end of the police checking the scene, they were trying to find the registration number on my bike, but concluded there wasn't one and let it go with a ''shoganai''.

I had been worried that not having a rear reflector might be an issue in such situations as well, but it did not come up.

If it had been on a road I usually ride, and perhaps I had seen someone pulling a U-turn around me before, the possibility of that happening might have registered. What is more, it was on a road I never take - usually the roads I am on are much more narrow, making U-turns more difficult, and perhaps less common.

Lastly, as my bike was unridable and I was still 10kms from home, the driver offered to drive me home, and the cops encouraged me to go with him, offering to help bring my bike to his car. The driver was nervous, and was driving for a bit with his E-brake on, side view mirror smashed forward with no glass, and some alarm going off when the car was moving forward. I was a little worried he might hit something else before I got home. Wierd too, that they didn't give him a breathalizer. I thought that was standard practice now-a-days, but I guess not, at least here. I don't think he had been drinking, but if you don't check, you don't know.

Sorry to hear about the crash, but I am glad that you are okay.

You brought up a very interesting point about checking the driver for alcohol consumption. A few years back, a scooter crashed into me at an intersection. The strange thing is, the police officers were more interested in the fact that I had medical insurance and my occupation than checking the driver for DUI.

Fortunately, the accident happened just minutes from my house so I was able to carry my MTB home.

Oh, but they did do a test. Don't you know that they can 'read the wind' ?

That alarm from the car that occurs when the car is motion could be caused by having tr parking brake engaged. Maybe the driver burned it into the engaged positioned after all the heat generated traveling with it engaged.

A bit of risk of getting into the car that hit you? Japan is such a strange country where the police thought it was a good idea. The taxi that I had the incident with offered the same. Even though it's a professional company, I refused. So I'm still a but paranoid! :)

John. That is bad. Glad you made it without any serious injuries. I hope it gets all sorted out. Good luck with that.

Back
Top Bottom