What's new

Crackdown on Brakeless Bikes

Can we get a dislike button too?

"Dislike" and negative rep power resulted in veritable vendettas among members of my other board, so we disabled both. Let's keep up the positive vibe, gentlemen. :)

It is these people, and their retired amakudari kyokai colleagues who staff the profligate 'safety associations', who advise the lawmakers. Can we reasonably expect the law to make any sort of sense?

I agree and maybe these fixie people are just an easy target really. They are seen to have some money and they are a minority - so easier to single out.

I mean, I personally find mama charies more dangerous and fast and a far greater nuisance and danger than cyclists riding fixed; principally because most of them are riding on the footpath. Not only do people not have the skills to ride a mamachari but they are large, unwieldy and poorly suited to Japanese cities. Just on the way home I noticed signs painted on the pavement which say that cycling there is 禁止 or banned. This has never been enforced and probably never will be.

It's not just this one law, but I think really that the whole package of laws, regulations, instruction, certification and so on are due for a radical revision and upgrade.

I'm not sure if there is the equivalent of a cycling proficiency test here, but if there is the instructor should be hanging his head in shame. In addition to beefing this up (or introducing such a test) enforcement of existing laws should be implemented.

I mean, a bunch of gaijin complaining about this on an English website won't change anything but, even though Japan is generally strongly resistant to any form of change, sometimes, somehow change can occur.

For instance, if you look at smoking things have changed a lot. People only do it in designated areas now and the number of non-smoking or separated restaurants has increased. It's possible that Japan can change, even if it's 10 or 20 years behind proper developed countries. I don't know what the trigger is though ... maybe it's more mama chari goons getting taken out:eek:.

I live in hope that my great grandchildren or maybe my great great grandchildren will enjoy skipping and walking on mamchari free pavements ...

Sorry, this turned into another rant about mamacharies - basically I think that this law is targeting the wrong group of people, and they should concentrate on enforcing existing laws such as those regarding cycling on the pavement, rather than introducing a new law which may not be necessary.

"Hey, people have been complaining about bikes"

"Yeah"

"Shall we crack down on mama-chari riders"

"No, because that would mean a crackdown on a majority of the good people in Japan"

"Oh. So what shall we do?"

"Let's crack down on the ones who stand out, and are few and far between, so it looks like we are doing something about the cycling problem, but don't target the majority, so we don't lose their vote, and we all feel like one big group against a small minority we don't understand"

"Yeah, that is a better idea. It will save us loads of work, and we get to bully people too!"

"Win!"

My cause celebre these days is that the Mama Chari is a perfect example of the worst form of design and engineering evolution. It's quite simply the least ecological , dangerous, least progressive, ugliest, nearly useless mechanical device that has ever been deployed en masse. That is a completely different thread - but plays directly into the 'ban on brakeless' as a counterpoint.

My cause celebre these days is that the Mama Chari is a perfect example of the worst form of design and engineering evolution. It's quite simply the least ecological , dangerous, least progressive, ugliest, nearly useless mechanical device that has ever been deployed en masse. That is a completely different thread - but plays directly into the 'ban on brakeless' as a counterpoint.

so is a gs astuto kids and groceries transporter in the works? would be awesome...

so is a gs astuto kids and groceries transporter in the works? would be awesome...
splattere.jpg

...with ultralight hydrocarbon wheels.

Good grief! How could you have left out the SQUEAKY BRAKES!!!

(fixie riders should get recordings of those to play, then they'd never get stopped)

These are fine as the swan neck isn't slammed down on the steerer.

Back
Top Bottom