What's new

Corrosion on 7005 Series Aluminum

Should be no problem. Even matte finish has UV inhibitors. But - UV is pretty nefarious - take a look down at the docks - just about any composite surface over 10yrs old suffers from deterioration. As a side note - it's not the fabric that takes a beating, its the epoxy matrix. As FE says - the clearcoat (usually glossy) contains the UV inhibitor. On naked surfaces it's not uncommon (but expensive) to use PTFE coating or films.

BTW - A friend has clued me that THIS is the bomb clearcoat sealer --
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Product_Code=Z-2&Screen=PROD It also provides some UV protection. I'm thinking about getting some sent here.

Ludwig, your Canyon will have UV protective coating on it.... thats the gloss finish. Lightwieght wheels how ever are naked...no final coating to keep the weight down.

Well, 4:30PM now. UPS was supposed to come today to pick up my frame (arranged by Evans), but I am fearful that there was a screw up. For anyone wondering what the status is, I said that I was going back to Canada for 4 weeks and they said that might be a problem because the process would have to be restarted with Bianchi. I stripped the frame last night and boxed it and will be without a road bike for a while now I suppose. Some pictures of the full extent of the corrosion etc. are in my gallery: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=47&pictureid=217

Wow - yeah - that is pretty bad - especially considering it's an all alloy frame - you'd basically need to strip it entirely, etch and repaint to get the corrosion stopped. As a side note - I tore down my NPB Diablo to fit the Di2 cables and the cable barrel adjusters are already corroded. Then environment her is none too kind for alloy parts. The last Ti frames I had built, we sealed the tubes after purging with Argon. So the only exposed inside tube is the seattube - and I prep that with a Boeing product. Virtually no chance of corrosion for many many years.

Wondering if Evans is out of business? My emails to them have been bouncing back since last Friday when they were supposed to have my bike picked up from my house. I just tried checking their website, and it doesn't work either. Too much negative energy oozing out of my body that is causing interference because I am so frustrated with them, or has someone heard that they are offline or out of business?

Wondering if Evans is out of business? My emails to them have been bouncing back since last Friday when they were supposed to have my bike picked up from my house. I just tried checking their website, and it doesn't work either. Too much negative energy oozing out of my body that is causing interference because I am so frustrated with them, or has someone heard that they are offline or out of business?

I can understand that you are grappling with negative energy but the internet issue does not seem to be wholly your fault: http://blog.evanscycles.com/about-us/recent-website-issues-what-happened/

Well, 4:30PM now. UPS was supposed to come today to pick up my frame (arranged by Evans), but I am fearful that there was a screw up.

Did you have to pay anything towards the return postage or did Evans cover this themselves? Just asking, as split between ordering the trainer from Jenson or Evans and if Evans will cover return postage in the event of a warranty claim, then I will go with them. Trust, everything got sorted out ok in the end.

Did you have to pay anything towards the return postage or did Evans cover this themselves?

Long story short, I did not have to pay the return postage, but...

1) I wasted a day of my life (I only get one off a week) waiting in my home for pick up, because the person I was dealing with said UPS would arrive and that I needed to be available all day, the day they were to come.
2) It took an additional week for the pick up to take place. They then said, I should call UPS from my end. I did, and they arrived at my home in less than 2 hours.
3) I requested a cash settlement instead of a replacement frame more than once because Evans have a history of being complete idiots with me [like sending my original bike to me with scratches, cables not going through cable guides (top tube), cables rubbing on the frame (BB area) etc.] but they finally responded to my cash settlement request (after acknowledging it and saying they would try their best) by just saying a replacement frame was in the mail.
4) Unreasonable delays to my emails - sometimes a week, or out of office notifications from the Warranty Department (not a specific address) with no indication of when someone would be available, and then no response until sending follow up emails.

The list goes on, and I am half tempted to post the entire epic email saga I have gone through with Evans on the TCC to warn others, but feel no one has the interest or time to read through it.

My impression is that Jenson is over-priced and has over-priced shipping rates and that, combined with sponsoring the Fredcast Podcast, and claiming they are the cheapest and best does not sit well with me. I would recommend Wiggle or Amazon Japan. Both are in English and I have gotten good prices and service from them. Next, I will try using Ribble for a groupset and some random Chinese company for a Ti frame, most likely. The wheels and other components I want (Campy Zonda) will come from Wiggle (just waiting on them to come out with their lowest prices this season), but I am willing to take a chance on the killer deals I can get on the groupset and frame, and will report back with my experiences.

Good luck.

Cheers. I know Evans can be a bit russian roulettey at times, but as long as I don`t have to pay the postage. Waiting all day is no probs, as I can just take it to work... :angel:

As regards Jenson, I have found they offer the best postage rates iro the trainer and the price is the same as everywhere else, just it looks like you are responsible for return postage. The problem is, none of the main UK places stock (Kurt) Kinetic and like I said only the `Rock `n` Roll` version is available in Japan (including via Amazon Japan) and I`m about the last person who needs a trainer that can simulate out-of-the saddle climbing - I can do it on my mama-chariot up the bridge if I was really desperate... Maybe I will try Amazon.com, but they won`t give you a shipping price until you put in your credit card details :eek:

I guess this says it?

"Error 404 - Not Found"

But all misfortunes aside - it's a tremendously difficult AND simple task to provide decent ERP. At the scale that these e-tailers are running its like managing a runaway train with brakes only on a couple cars.

Customers expect the same service and support quality as an LBS without realizing that there are not enough 'faces' to provide that. And the cost of support which is about 10% on average of any gross sale needs to be cut down because they are only operating on about 12-14% profit margin. Do the math - offer cheap prices OR good service - it's your choice. Walking the fine line of both is impossible. A goodly portion of the customers will experience negative issues. But - if the prices remain cheap - people will ALWAYS buy.

I can understand that you are grappling with negative energy but the internet issue does not seem to be wholly your fault: http://blog.evanscycles.com/about-us/recent-website-issues-what-happened/

I guess I have been lucky with Wiggle. The only thing that was not up to scruff was a pair of sunglasses I ordered that had a hair in the paint, and they appologized and send another pair.

I think with Amazon, I paid 4,000 yen for a year of free shipping. I could be wrong, but you might want to look into it. Often stuff comes the next day.

I still prefer the old school way . Work with the hands that actually make the stuff I ride. One to few always beats one to many.

I've had good luck with Jenson they sent me the wrong size frame I complained a got a replacement without even having to send the one I had back(keep in mind I was in California and I did send said frame back later)

Back
Top Bottom