What's new

Corrosion on 7005 Series Aluminum

Great info. Thanks!

Still waiting to see what Evans says. If they or Bianchi will not help, then I guess I need to buff that blistered stuff off and touch up with some white paint? Is there anywhere in Tokyo that would take the paint off and corrosion protect and repaint or anodize for a fee less than simply buying a new frame? Or has anyone tried it on their own? I guess I should really be checking YouTube for the last question.

Pilots Liscence

Thats a great story!
I learned how to fit people by doing whatever Eric was telling me to do, for two years! He didnt have to turn a bolt, lift a bike down from the rack, get his own coffee, but it was absolutely worth it and has paid for itself ten fold!
Some people dont know how this world works, its like I mentionioned earlyer in this very post about being nice to anyone you contact about this issue. If you know how to get want you want life is good.

Exactly! Can't tell you how long my 'job' was cleaning the toilets. Everybody now wants it all - NOW and with no respect for apprenticeship. Hell, in the Italy shop I spent more time in the mud changing APE tranny parts and mama-chari tubes then anything. And the head mechanic put me to work on a PILE of old frames stripping and dressing them - mainly as giveaway trainers! After you ream and face about 200 frames you start to get the hang of it. Until then - you just haven't seen enough metal to know what's what!

Thats a great story!
I learned how to fit people by doing whatever Eric was telling me to do, for two years! He didnt have to turn a bolt, lift a bike down from the rack, get his own coffee, but it was absolutely worth it and has paid for itself ten fold!
Some people dont know how this world works, its like I mentionioned earlyer in this very post about being nice to anyone you contact about this issue. If you know how to get want you want life is good.

3) Linseed Oil: One of natures wonder oils. Applies wet, dries sticky. We used to use this with a combination of paraffin wax and then dip a frameset into it to boil. The result is nearly 100% coverage of a very highly protective rust and corrosion guard.

Sounds like seasoning cast-iron cookware?

Just a minor point, you mean "BOILED Linseed Oil" or BLO, NOT regular linseed oil you find in art shops. The Non-Boiled stuff will just about NEVER dry, that is why they use it in oil paintings, as they can keep coming back to the painting and the paint (mixed with linseed oil) has not dried.

Finding BLO in Tokyo is not easy, they do have it in small expensive bottles in Tokyu Hands.

Cheers!

There was a sort on the train firing hair-spray into her beehive tonight that would do the job better than anything in the aerospace market, mark my words.

@Stu - YES! You gotta use BLO or, if ur Owne - just nampa some bird's hairspray - that will prbably be ok too. I imagine the Japanese gyaru haircare chems are better evolved than any aerospace product. I was just at BIC and looking at the display vanities (hey, they're next to the bikes and massage chairs) made me consider just how complicated the women's esthete products were - it was more complicated than the cockpit of a Bell 205

Just got a response from Evans but worried that I will end up:

1) stripping my bike
2) sending the frame back
3) possibly paying for shipping
4) being without a bike
5) and then being told that it won't be covered.

On the other hand, since they are asking to see it, they may likely send me a frame they are over stalked in, in order to resolve the issue, and since it is year end, may be more likely to do so. Some comments about this previously were that this is likely a PITA warranty, so I am leery. What do you reckon?

Hello John,

I am sorry to see this has happened. Cycleurope UK have asked that you return the frame only (rest of the components need to be stripped) to be inspected by the supplier.

If you need a collection arranged, please let us know, otherwise you can return the frame with the returns forms below, quoting your warranty case number SEP-59. You will need to right a brief description of the problem and details on where the bike has been stored.

Kind regards,

send it, Get a carbon frame to throw your parts on in the mean time. Maybe a Tim special?

I would send it back.... you may have a lemon (ie a framethat jumped the treating process)

The fact Cycleurope is asking you to send it means there is a high chance that there is a issue with the frame. Sending the stripped frame is standard practice as it cuts down on shipping costs and also time in getting it back to you (They don't need to strip it, clean it, check it, rebuild it, ship it)

I agree with James here - the bubbling on the paint should definitely not occur under normal conditions if the frame was properly etched prior to painting. Though - the corrosion on the other parts indicates that you do have some adverse environmental conditions to manage.

I would send it back.... you may have a lemon (ie a framethat jumped the treating process)

The fact Cycleurope is asking you to send it means there is a high chance that there is a issue with the frame. Sending the stripped frame is standard practice as it cuts down on shipping costs and also time in getting it back to you (They don't need to strip it, clean it, check it, rebuild it, ship it)

Its also peace of mind.... I'd rather know the frame is fine than have that slight doubt, especailly at speed.

Thanks for all the help. I have decided to send it back and Evans.

I was looking at my bike in more detail in daylight yesterday and noticed that the corrosion I mentioned is EVERYWHERE. It is in the guides for the brake cables under the top tube. It is around the braze ons for the water bottle cages too.

I explained to Evans that I am in Japan and they said they will arrange to have it picked up and that it will take 10 to 21 working days for the warranty process once they have received the frame.

Those of you with carbon frames, do you get some corrosion on your bolts etc? You always coat those bits with some type of oil or wax? I was pretty careful with my bike before and sometimes felt like more time was spent cleaning it than riding it, but when the new frame comes, I will need to be even more ritualistic about pampering it it seems.

Carbon doesn't really corrode, it may de-laminate of fibres may split but it doesn't corrode unless you put some corrosive material on it that eats the carbon away.

I don't treat the bike..... may wash it with warm soapy water and then maybe give the frame a polish up with Anchor or Finishline show room polish but thats it.

Carbon doesn't corrode as FE mentions - however the Alloy inserts (BB, dropouts, Headset retainers) are all susceptible to corrosion - especially as they are bonded and oftentimes not entirely perfectly. I've seen plenty of Carbon frames where the headset races literally fall out due to corrosion. Another issue with Carbon is the susceptibility of degradation due to UV exposure. In fact, with unprotected tubing, it has been seen that the fiber matrix will degrade in only 1000hrs more than 30% !!

You want best protection against corrosive environment then get a Ti frameset. With the integrated headset version virtually nothing on the frame will corrode unless subjected to high temperatures in the presence of organic chlorides. So, unless you plan on riding around inside the Fukushima Reactor vessel - you should be fine.

I've resisted offering this idea, but could it be cesium-related? :eek:

Another issue with Carbon is the susceptibility of degradation due to UV exposure. In fact, with unprotected tubing, it has been seen that the fiber matrix will degrade in only 1000hrs more than 30% !!

I'm now around 1,000 hours on my carbon bike. Basically all of it has been in day light. Should I be worried? What is unprotected tubing and how good is the normal protection?

Ludwig, your Canyon will have UV protective coating on it.... thats the gloss finish. Lightwieght wheels how ever are naked...no final coating to keep the weight down.

Ask if you can wait...

I would ask them if you can wait to send it. Dont tell them its because you want to keep riding it, but because you are out of town. Then keep riding it until it snows.

Back
Top Bottom