Cool stuff..

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Nearly a shameless plug - but nonetheless, I got some very nice rimsets in.

1) 24mm T1000 'Basalts' that I'm sending to US for custom fitted 150gr hubset (yes - you heard that right). This will build up perhaps the lightest set of wheels I've tried yet - we're shooting for sub 800gr!

2) 38mm T1000 'Basalts' - 32hole drilling. I kinda reserved these for the ultimate Brevet wheelset. Tubular and thinking about a Ultegra rear hub and Dynamo front hub (w/disc brake) w/ Sapim Race spokes.

Any ideas on 'dream wheels' , let me know! I want to try some new configurations that zero in on the niche uses more and more.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Actually they're neither .. surprisingly most 'dream wheels' can be put together for under 100,000 yen. And will easily perform as good or better than commercial wheelsets costing many times more. Dare to dream and then build it!

By the way - you do know that most bikes shops trash the wheels that customers exchange? This is a good way to get high quality components without paying anything! The Japanese 'trash-it-for-new' mentality is your gain for raw materials like spokes and hubs.

The problem with dream wheels is they're impossible or unaffordable :cry:

Desune

Speeding Up
May 7, 2008
Tokyo
By the way - you do know that most bikes shops trash the wheels that customers exchange? This is a good way to get high quality components without paying anything! The Japanese 'trash-it-for-new' mentality is your gain for raw materials like spokes and hubs.
Aside from dumpster diving, how does one go about getting these trashed wheels?