What's new

Review Continental GP5000 28mm vs GP5000TR 28mm vs Enve SES 27mm Tubeless

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Just some quick feedback from 3 different tires I have all run recently on my Sage.

The GP5000 with Tube were run on a Mavic All Road Pro Wheelset and the other 2 tires were run on a Enve Foundation 65 wheelset.

Historically I have run GP4000s on my Ritchey (23mm & 25mm) and I have no complaints about them ever. Maybe they wear a little faster than some other options, but the trade off is worth it as these tires never slip and do well in both rain and puncture resistance for me. 2 flats in 10 years on GP4000s.

Moving to today and the 4000s are relics and it was time to try something new. I opted for the Enve SES tires for my Enve wheels. I also went tubeless. They felt every bit as fast the 4000s on my Ritchey and I am sure they corner as well, however the tire profile is a bit different and I feel maybe the 'fall' into the corner vs me leaning them into the corner how I am used to doing the 4000s.

After some windy days and my 65rims getting blown around a bit, I ordered a set of 5000s to put on my Mavic wheelset that was collecting dust. There was an obvious difference in just riding around that I will attribute to the wheelset. But after some time, I was able to get more of a tire comparison. The new 5000s are similar to the 4000s. I can man handle wheel into a corner like I used to and have more confidence on the brakes with the bike leaned over. As for straight line - the SES maybe has an edge, but they are close. If it wasn't for my comfort and history with the 4000s, this would be a very close comparison for me.

I ended up cutting my front SES. I was not a puncture, but a slice, so I will not blame the tire. Sh!t happens and this could have been a flat on my GPs as well. The sealant got me home, but I am not comfy with a compromised tire and went to find another. To explain how I was adjusting to the tire, I looked for a direct replacement. Sadly this was not an option as they are sold out everywhere. So I looked on Enve's compatible tire list and say the GP5000 TR. At twice the price of a regular GP, I was not stoked, but ordered 1 anyway. I installed that last night. It went on relatively easy and the tubeless setup was painless (the SES were a little more effort). This morning they got a 35km workout after I road 65km yesterday on the tubed version. I was still running the SES rear.

Wow! The GP5000s TR at a lower pressure than its tubed cousin out corners, out breaks and just gives better feedback. It is pretty much everything I want in a front tire. The SES rear did awesome in this combo and maybe its more 'V' shape allowed the bike to corner fast on the rear while I still had all the control I want upfront. The lower pressure front allowed the tire to just grab the road in a fashion the tubed tire can't - especially when trail braking.

To be fair - All three tires are great and my nagging about it is possibly splitting hairs.
If I had to rate them -
GP5000 TR - 5 stars
SES - 4.5 stars
GP5000 Tubed - 4 stars

Update - 2 flats now (and big ones that would not reseal roadside) with the Enve tires.
I love the feel of these tires, but recommended for Race day use only. They are nearly as durable as the continentals.

Back
Top Bottom