What's new

Contador handed 2 year ban, loses 2010 tour title

Yes omg! Yes! He deserves it! Muwahahaha I'm so happy

I hope the sport can move forward now and focus on a brighter future and the sports image will be clean thus forward.

Was not expecting this.

Still not sure what my stance is on doping, but I am sure a lot of you will be happy about this.

Don't know how anyone can be happy about this. Hard to say if it's just another inquisition or they are really out to accomplish something to clean up the sport. It would be interesting to read all the evidence and see what support they had in not determining it was the beef as he had originally suggested.

Was not expecting this.

Still not sure what my stance is on doping, but I am sure a lot of you will be happy about this.

I liked Contador and I don't think he was doping. This kinda sucks - he was a super machine even this season, winning 2 stages - don't think he was doing it all on juice - he's got talent

After all this time.

I wanted Contador to be treated fairly and impartially, and ultimately be sanctioned if he'd done wrong. I'd always gone on the lines of a banned substance being a banned substance.

Whatever the result, the whole handling of the affair has been terrible. He won the Giro in the meantime, as well as some other stuff. It shouldn't have been allowed to drag out as long as it did.

That really besmirches the sport.

Drugs or not I think everyone in the pro peloton agrees he is (was) the best climber ever. It will be interesting to see if he will come back. If anyone finds comments from Contador, Bjarn, Andy, LA (that would be interesting) please post here.

Contador should have known better than to mess with LA during the 2009 tour... Lance has too many good friends in the right places, and it is payback time for what LA believes was a show of disrespect towards him by Contador on that tour.
How symbolic that this comes a day after a decision was made to close the criminal investigation against LA...
And this also means that A. Schleck has finally won the tour!

Guys – This wasn't really about the trace amount of clenbuterol in his system, it was the fact that he had 4 times the amount of plasticizers in his blood – that was the smoking gun

4 times the amount of plasticizers indicates that he was either on a steady course of transfusions or using other blood doping methods on a regular basis and that is something he can't or could argue in the court and with the WADA and it was the opne thing that had actully kept the case open all this time.

You can easilly dismiss the nanoscopic amount of Clen, but you can't the plasticizers.

I agree - I think they must have really struggled over this one. Because while having plasticizers in your blood is not really evidence of doping. He'd have to explain why he was requiring so many IV's - and especially transfusions.

But - I wonder now. With the extremely tight controls in place - could a rider effectively 'dope' ? It seems the tiny amounts and fractional increases they are going after just isn't worth it - either in terms of performance gains or risk. Or is it?

Guys – This wasn't really about the trace amount of clenbuterol in his system, it was the fact that he had 4 times the amount of plasticizers in his blood – that was the smoking gun

4 times the amount of plasticizers indicates that he was either on a steady course of transfusions or using other blood doping methods on a regular basis and that is something he can't or could argue in the court and with the WADA and it was the opne thing that had actully kept the case open all this time.

You can easilly dismiss the nanoscopic amount of Clen, but you can't the plasticizers.

The yellow Contador-signature KEO Look pedals are now available half-price :D!

Ok first off we need to understand that the term - Doping is an umbrella term that encompasses not just substance abuse but also other practices banned under the UCI and Olympic committees and individual sporting federations for fair play and this includes the transfusion of your own, others, and animal blood this can be to increase the red cell count by having an exttra point or two of blood in your system or uased as a mask to hide substance abuse– yes to get around the original wording riders were having pig of cows blood transfusions.

In the case of Contador the heavy amount of plasticizers is a tell tale for blood doping through blood transfusion.

(Also I would like to point out that the use of transfusion or injection as a method of aiding recovery has prohibited several years ago. – so now the only way a rider can argue the need for transfusion is through a medical emergency.)

Now take Contador blood tests, in the inquiry it states that the samples taken was 8 times higher ( I got the figure wrong in the first post) than the minimum amount needed to raise a "red flag" for blood doping through transfusion, so why would there be such a high level of plasticizers in his blood?

There is no way to explain it away through contaminated food as he would basically need to be eating plastic bags for months – so that leaves blood transfusion and under the rules and regulations of the professional sporting bodies he would need to prove medically that he needed it.

Which he can't actually do, so although he may be telling the truth about the use of Clen - which actually I beleive, he still can't explain why he has 8 times the amount plasticizers in his blood nor in the last two years has he tried to legally defend this fact and the PR team has cleverly used the fame of the drug to direct the attention away from the high levels of Plasticizers in his blood.

Plasticizers do not naturally occur in your blood nor can drinking excessively from bottles or other leaching materials cause such a huge spike. The governing bodies actually put a baseline to cover the possibility of leaching - so his results are 8 times higher than the benchmark set.

To put it another way;

It a bit like me coming home to find my stash of Cadburys Chocolate eaten Taiga has a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of chocolate on his lip that he explains was from a jam sandwich he ate earlier and the knife he cut the bread with must of had a trace of chocolate on it that got on to the sandwich and then his lip - however I find all the wrappers for the bars in his pocket - something he can't explain.

It a bit like me coming home to find my stash of Cadburys Chocolate eaten Taiga has a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of chocolate on his lip that he explains was from a jam sandwich he ate earlier and the knife he cut the bread with must of had a trace of chocolate on it that got on to the sandwich and then his lip - however I find all the wrappers for the bars in his pocket - something he can't explain.

excellent analogy!!!

So who was the last TDF winner not to be tainted by doping? Or is it just a given?
**** pro cycling, they make the sport a joke. I sure hope Cadell is/ was clean.

Actually cycling is the only sport where the official bodies take doping seriously. There are cases in football, baseball and pretty much other major events that are just swept under the carpet.

Also if you look at the results and times for the major peaks in last years tour they were some of the slowest recorded in a decade. Taking the data of the leaders of the race and the increased amount of testing done they indicate that Cadel was clean - especailly if you look at Cadel's data from previous years - its all very consistant.

When I say seriously Im talking a complete program in regards to monitoring the sport and use of banned methods or substances within the cycling federation.

You'll find that if you remove all the cyclists from the list and then look at the other sports you'll find that majority of these suspensions were handed down through the Oylmpic body and not the governing sports.

Also there are alot of cases of recreational drug use, which do not fall under test conducted by official sports bodies but through criminal investigation.

However the use of recreational drugs for doping in cycling goes back to the 50's and beyond where dopamine was used to help riders ride through the pain barrier - later cocaine and other modern recreational drugs were used to the same effect "The Bomb" as Fusto Coppi liked to refer to it as was a mix of recreational drugs to mask the pain as well as allow them to push harder.

Tom Simpson whom died on Mont Ventoux during the 13th stage of the Tour de France in 1967 after taking a combination of amphetamine and alcohol and it was this death that started a move towards antio doping and riding clean - however its taken more than 40 years to get to where we are now and Im starting to understand to make managers also responsible for the actions of thier riders and handing life time bans to managers and staff that are continously flagged in investigations

I thought plasticizer amount is not officially considered as doping indicator at the moment, therefore it cannot be used in legal proceedings. It is like having a recording of the culprit's voice, which was not made in a legal way, - it cannot be used as evidence.

But like many pro-riders and their enrtourage say, - we weren't in the court, so it is not clear what was said there, and it is hard to comment without knowing.

Back
Top Bottom