What's new

Commuting to Higashi-Matsuyama

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
From next week on until the beginning of December I have to commute daily (MON-FRI) to Higashi-Matsuyama, just north of Kawagoe. I am planning on taking the following route

=> http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/higashi-matsuyama/953244965863

One way is about 61km, most of it along R254. Does anyone have any info on that road? Or any suggestions on better routes? Arakawa CR perhaps? Thanks in advance.

Can't help you but I like the part that says 'have to'. Where can I get a job where 'I have to commute'?

Do you realize that that will be roughly 8000kms?

Do you get paid per km?

Can't help you but I like the part that says 'have to'. Where can I get a job where 'I have to commute'?

Do you realize that that will be roughly 8000kms?

Do you get paid per km?

More! Don't forget the weekend 300km ride for fun :D

Can help...

...with this one!
I've commuted up to (and past) Kawagoe quite a few times, and the fastest way I know is this:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo-(tokyo)/240436987216

Take the Arakawa CR up to Rte.463 - you won't even need to cross the river - from your place, it's just over 30km. R463
Turn left there, and roll down the road for about 500-600m (less than a km, anyway). You'll see a large turn-off to the right, that looks like a toll-road, but it isn't! Take that road! It's a free-way of Rte.254, but there's no toll...That is definitely the quickest way up there!
There are lots of those over-pass bridges, but they're all relatively small & short.
Quite a wide shoulder on most.
Once you're on that main road, just keep going straight on (the same road) past Kawagoe, and you'll be in Higashi-Matsuyama in no time!
Hope this helps!
T

I always went up the Arakawa from Omiya now Saitama, if only to avoid sucking car fumes and to get a sense of green. From Okegawa Shi or Yoshimi Machi it was straight across left more or less to Higashi Matsuyama. To save time I would take Rt 254 like Travis said. If you want a change of scene take the river. Watch out for the traffic on Rt254, it can get a bit brutal on Mondays and Fridays, tons of trucks. Ride safe.

Do you get paid per km?

I admit that would be a welcome fringe benefit. :)

I always went up the Arakawa from Omiya now Saitama, if only to avoid sucking car fumes and to get a sense of green. From Okegawa Shi or Yoshimi Machi it was straight across left more or less to Higashi Matsuyama. To save time I would take Rt 254 like Travis said. If you want a change of scene take the river. Watch out for the traffic on Rt254, it can get a bit brutal on Mondays and Fridays, tons of trucks. Ride safe.

Much obliged, Simon! Since Arakawa is free of traffic signals, I guess I'll opt for the ACR/R254 combo first.

I have accomplished my first day of "mega-commuting". First a stunt to Higashi-Matsuyama. I took the Arakawa CP leaving home around 06:30AM. Beautiful on that sunny and warm day today. My class started at 10:00AM, but I actually arrived there at 09:05. :)

Watch out for the traffic on Rt254, it can get a bit brutal on Mondays and Fridays, tons of trucks. Ride safe.

From Shikki I took R36, 113, then 254. I agree R254 is dangerous, lots of speeding truck drivers who give a damn about bicyclists. I have been forced to run the shoulder of the road or to hit the curb more than once.

In the afternoon another run to Shin-Kawasaki, increasing the total distance today to 186km. My legs feel like lead, my bike is covered in mud. Shall be back on ACP tomorrow though. Don't know how many weekdays I can keep that up... :warau:

From Shikki I took R36, 113, then 254. I agree R254 is dangerous, lots of speeding truck drivers who give a damn about bicyclists. I have been forced to run the shoulder of the road or to hit the curb more than once.
:
well done you survived. try and look for some parallel roads. where in higashi matsuyama are you working?
ride safe and be as visible as you can.

If you have the spare time, you might consider staying on the Arakawa all the way up until it crosses 254. I've done this (in reverse) and it's quite scenic and alot less automotive traffic.

Longest Commute...

I have accomplished my first day of "mega-commuting". First a stunt to Higashi-Matsuyama. I took the Arakawa CP leaving home around 06:30AM. Beautiful on that sunny and warm day today. My class started at 10:00AM, but I actually arrived there at 09:05. :)
In the afternoon another run to Shin-Kawasaki, increasing the total distance today to 186km. My legs feel like lead, my bike is covered in mud. Shall be back on ACP tomorrow though. Don't know how many weekdays I can keep that up... :warau:

I think you've won that one, Thomas (unless we include the ride back from Kusatsu - but that's not a "commute" if we don't do it every year).
My longest so far was when I was working in Hachioji - 60km, one way - and would bring the daily total to 120km. Some other long-ish ones were, "Shibamata - Urawa; 30km, Urawa - Shimbashi; 27km, Shimbashi - Ootsuki; 12km, and finally Ootsuki - Shibamata; 17km"... All up 86km.
There have been others over the 100km point, but only periodically (not enough to call "commutes").
Does anyone else have other "Tokyo Traffic" experiences to share?
T

Back
Top Bottom