Commuting Insurance

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
Hello,

question to all people commuting by bike to work. Does the "standard" commuting insurance cover bike commute? I think I heard it doesn't. But are there insurance companies available these days that would also cover bicycle accidence on the way to work???
No accident here ... just for curiosity.

Cheers,
Malte

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
If you get the TS Mark insurance for your bike (between 500 and 1000 yen a year) that will cover commuting. You can get this from an LBS although they will have to perform a check and may require some modifications - additions of reflector, bell, etc. - to make it legal. Fairly limited policy, though.

http://www.tmt.or.jp/safety/index3.html

The Jitensha Kyosai (mutual?) policy run by Zenrosai also covers commuting. 3000 yen/year.

Also Yahoo! bicycle insurance, underwritten by Mitsui Sumitomo Marine. (I am getting sick and tired of their spam, though.)

https://insurance.yahoo.co.jp/member/pr_cho/plan/bicycle.html

Generally the more you pay, the more generous the potential payouts are.

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
If you get the TS Mark insurance for your bike (between 500 and 1000 yen a year) that will cover commuting. You can get this from an LBS although they will have to perform a check and may require some modifications - additions of reflector, bell, etc. - to make it legal. Fairly limited policy, though.

http://www.tmt.or.jp/safety/index3.html

The Jitensha Kyosai (mutual?) policy run by Zenrosai also covers commuting. 3000 yen/year.

Also Yahoo! bicycle insurance, underwritten by Mitsui Sumitomo Marine. (I am getting sick and tired of their spam, though.)

https://insurance.yahoo.co.jp/member/pr_cho/plan/bicycle.html

Generally the more you pay, the more generous the potential payouts are.
Thanks.
I also wounder, as the employer usually signs for a train commuting insurance, are there ways to ramp-up company insurance plans to cover bike commuting?

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
If you're working for a regular Japanese company and they catch you commuting by bike you'll be lucky they don't fire you. No corporate insurance in Japan will cover the workers if they commute by bike. And , if you have an accident while commuting to work, AND you claim it as such , since you'd be already in violation of your company's rules and policy (something you should know about) , it's likely whatever auxillary insurance you have would simply deny your claim based on the same reason. Of course you'd be welcome to fight in court.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
If you're working for a regular Japanese company [yada yada yada]
As I said previously in this thread

- There is no legal or regulatory obstacle to you riding to work. Ignorant HR departments may try to bluff with some excuse about the rosai (workers' accident insurance scheme) forbidding it, but that is untrue. The company may need to send a note to the local office, but it will not affect their insurance premiums.

- If you cycle (or drive, or take the train) to work, you must go by a direct route in order to be covered by the company's rosai policy for accidents incurred while commuting. So if, like James, you regularly go 50km or so out of your way for training, the insurance would not pay up.

- Otherwise it's totally up to your company's internal policies, as enshrined in the company handbook. You should have been given a copy of that, plus any subsequent revisions, and signed to say you understood the contents. If their policy states "you must take the train" then you will have to persuade them otherwise. Arguments in favour may include:
  • Getting home after the next big earthquake
  • Reduced environmental footprint
  • Hundreds of thousands of people do it
  • Reduced time lost to ill health as you won't be sneezed on by all those germ-infested salarymen
etc.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
- If you cycle (or drive, or take the train) to work, you must go by a direct route in order to be covered by the company's rosai policy for accidents incurred while commuting. So if, like James, you regularly go 50km or so out of your way for training, the insurance would not pay up.
No they won't which is why I had Prudential customise a policy for me - easily done as the broker himself does Tri. :D

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Several people besides myself commute by bike to work at my school, and one teacher actively recruits anyone who'll listen to ride more and log their km for his commuting project.

Nobody has ever objected (to my knowledge) to cycle commuting, and my general impression is that they would instead be very likely to encourage it.

Of course, driving is also not only permitted, but the de facto means of commuting for most everyone. So maybe a bike is not all that different?