Coffee and coffee shops

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
There seems to be quite a strong link between cyclist and coffee. I was wondering what kinds of coffee people like to drink. If it's home brewed , what method do you like?

What coffee shops do people recommend in the Tokyo area? There is obviously Rapha, which makes a pretty good brew and is setup for cyclists. Any other good ones out there, with space for bikes?

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
I gave up coffee. Back on it now though. It's just casual though - not getting too involved.

Cafe wise donno. Home espresso or latte is always good. Doesn't help you though. Chain wise, it depends on the shop and who is making it but segafredo is pretty good sometimes. I also like streamers but it's expensive. Has bike parking though like at Gakugeidaigaku. Partial to illy's in ginza.

There's a few pretty nice small cafes around. That list is more interesting perhaps. Place in Ebisu springs to mind. Can't recall the name though. Will add it here if I think of it. You mentioned a small cafe near Rapha too. I saw it recently but didn't have time to drop in and check it out. Place has to do stickie buns or brownies for me also.

All this is no help is it. Haha.

Andy in Tokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
Mojo Coffee in Kagurazaka is my new-found favourite. They also have a place in Waseda.

There are a lot of coffee shops and roasters around Kiyosumi in Koto-ku for some reason, especially between Kiyosumi-koen and Kiba-koen. Allpress is good. I've also heard good things about a place called Blue Bottle Coffee but haven't been myself. Easiest way to get there is head down towards the end of the Arakawa cycling road and then turn westwards onto Route 10.

At home we've got one of those DeLonghi Magnifica thingies that does everything. I do like the idea of having a proper espresso machine but know I'd get massively pissed off with the actual using of it, especially first thing in the mornings.

xDOMx

Maximum Pace
Nov 21, 2014
Japan
I was commissioned by a British publisher to make a hard copy speciality coffee map for Tokyo (more specifically, to compile the information for them to produce it).

This is based on the fact I was a barista part time in London when living there and have competed in coffee competitions in Japan as well as running my own events here on a 'pop-up' basis and being fairly actively involved in the industry.

This map should come out towards the end of the year or early next and I'll keep everyone up to date on that.

As for home brewing, I use a variety of different methods and am aware of the best roasters in Tokyo so if anyone needs any help on all of this, I'm happy to give input where needed!

Also, @Deej is a recent enthusiast and has been round for a lesson on home brewing so he can give some good input too I'm sure.

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
There seems to be quite a strong link between cyclist and coffee. I was wondering what kinds of coffee people like to drink. If it's home brewed , what method do you like?
I order caribou coffee from the states. Burr grinder and french press is ideal at home. This is my weekend routine.
During the week, I have a all in one grinder/peculator.

What coffee shops do people recommend in the Tokyo area? There is obviously Rapha, which makes a pretty good brew and is setup for cyclists. Any other good ones out there, with space for bikes?
In Zushi Rt 134 - on the beach is "Barefoot Coffee" - I have stopped there a few times and the brew is good with some good desserts and such that compliment the coffee well.
Sadly, they don't open early in the morning, so I don't hit it often.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
I've got a Simonelli Oscar at home. I roast my own coffee like a grade A premium hipster cretin. I should be dragged round the back of the sheds and put out of my misery like a lame horse.

tigerkamen

Maximum Pace
Jan 6, 2012
Kawaguchi
1. for an actual cafe
Coffee Valley serves a nice espresso
〒171-0022 Tokyo, Toshima, 南池袋2丁目26-3

2.Beans and grinds
Yamamoto Coffee offers a good selection of coffee and preparation peripherals.
160-0022, 東京都新宿区新宿3丁目17−11

more to come in the next few days.
source: S.O

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Coffee. I've been a fan since my proto-hipster days as a teenager in late-'80s Seattle. On weekends, I'd leave the hair gel and penny loafers at home in the suburbs, throw on a ratty cardigan and venture -- the aspiring aesthete -- into the "big city," with its heroin addicts, artists, vagrants ("Money for booze?"), students, transvestites, musicians -- and ample coffee shops filled with people who seemed to know more about the world than I did.

I've always loved the vibes of a cafe with robust coffee, music from actual vinyl, top-notch cookies and pastries, and brimming with caffeinated cogitations and conversations. Chilled is good, too. A place to read or scratch out thoughts or drawings on a napkin or in a Moleskine. Maybe some ferns and lots of wood. The Rapha cafe has tasty coffee but is a bit on the sterile side for my taste. I like coffee joints with a lived-in feel. Organic. Grains of sugar scattered on the tabletops, why not? Maybe some coffee stains. Browns and tans as the dominant tones. Soft, with rounded edges. No shrill metallic chairs.

At home, it's pourovers for me. One cup at a time. A friend who could no longer stand the fact that I was buying my coffee pre-ground recently bought me a burr grinder. So I've been having fun exploring new varieties of beans and different roasts, aided by some excellent pointers from brewmaster @xDOMx.

The closest thing that I've found to a cafe that can be smoothly integrated into a hammerfest (or gentle cruise, for that matter) is the Starbucks at the end of the Onekan near Tamasakai Station. Yeah, it's a Starbucks, but there is lots of space to park your bike, plenty of seating inside and outside, and easy access to popular cycling routes. And so many roadies go there that clomping around in full cycling regalia isn't embarrassing.

A couple of weeks ago, @xDOMx tipped me off to a cozy little coffee shop near Yoga Station called Woodberry Coffee Roasters. Record player: check (jazz when I was there). Wood-heavy interior: check. Tasty cookies: check. Excellent coffee: check. It struck me as a cyclist-friendly place, and also had a couple of tables outside. Here's a jumbo blurry picture of the counter area.

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
A new coffee shop opened in the building next to. Been there twice and not so bad. Today I went down to get a coffee and the lady said. Sorry we're closed. I said that I thought they closed at 4. She said yes, but last order was 3:30. I looked at the time. 3:31. Wtf? They had no customers. I said it was a take out. Sorry. Please come again. No fecking way! Silliness.