What's new

Classic bike rebuild, input wanted

Give me a week and I'll be ale to see whether the website I used to buy a Gazelle frame from is legit or not. If it is, it's a veritable goldmine for restorers. If it isn't, FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Well, the bike arrived from the Netherlands, so I guess the site can be trusted as I'd been told.

The site is http://www.marktplaats.nl - it's the Dutch version of eBay but it works more like Craigslist. You register, search for what you'd like, then make an offer. The seller can end a listing whenever they feel - if the offered price is high enough, they accept it. However, you can contact the seller directly and ask for international shipping. I got my bike frame including Campagnolo cranks and derailleurs for 208 euro shipped.

Annoyingly, I've just buggered the derailleur by accidentally releasing the screw which holds the spring in place. Will be starting a thread soon...

I wrote 10 Speed bike in the first post, that means 2 x 10 speed or 2 x 3 speed? If the later you could use Seventy parts without any problems. There are some things to take care about; for example short reach/long reach brake calipers, hex or standard nuts on the brake axles, rear deraileur wiring above the chain stay, Italian crank (ISO) on Shimano bottom bracket (JIS), 126 mm rear width for example.

I owned a similar Gazelle 2010 to 2012 http://cyclitis.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/gazelle-champion-mondial/
It used to be a very sturdy bike but not very fast. You might regret to equip it with expensive Campa components, this is more an allround bike for all weather conditions, not really a racing bike.
This is a racing bike: http://cyclitis.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/wumme-links-wumme-echts-basso-blau/

hi Mob, yeah I agree this frame is an all rounder, not a strictly racer. I am going o go with older Dura ace Drive train so it looks period but at this stage it's going to be on my trainer and not on the road. Will get it out there one day. I have installed a cartridge BB (tioga) that is real smooth and should be trouble free for years. Looking for 70's period cranks at the moment and a old 27.2mm seatpost. Great not having to worry about brakes and brifters with the trainer and downtube shifters..
Nice looking Bianchi?

Thanks for chiming in.

hi Mob, yeah I agree this frame is an all rounder, not a strictly racer. I am going o go with older Dura ace Drive train so it looks period but at this stage it's going to be on my trainer and not on the road. Will get it out there one day. I have installed a cartridge BB (tioga) that is real smooth and should be trouble free for years. Looking for 70's period cranks at the moment and a old 27.2mm seatpost. Great not having to worry about brakes and brifters with the trainer and downtube shifters..
Nice looking Bianchi?

Thanks for chiming in.

Hi,

Most gazelles of this period I've seen with Shimano 600 or Dura Ace.

I have an old Dura Ace Crank somewhere. It looks like this HERE but is a road crank.

I also have a 27.2 seatpost from the period (non-discript). I may have a Dura Ace from the period.
I have some Dura Ace calipers as well.

Please mail me for pics.

James

The marktplaats site isn't especially great for Shimano stuff, but Campagnolo parts are often dirt cheap. Much cheaper than eBay or Yahoo Auction, but you have an added layer of hassle.

BTW, Gazelle bikes came stock with Campagnolo stuff - they even had Gazelle pantographed DT shifters on the AB and AA frames up to the late 80s. Most people sold off those parts and replaced them with the aforementioned 600/Dura Ace parts.

Another good source for components at decent prices is the LFGSS website. The classifieds section there often has some bargains. You have to ask if they're willing to ship, but generally they are.

Back
Top Bottom