What's new

chinese carbon road bike

chinti

Cruising
Apr 10, 2015
hi everyone, i was thinking of building a new beginner bike, is it possible to build a full chinese carbon road bike with 105 or tiagra within 1500usd? i've read through some of the chinese company thread but dont quite understand their parts model.

Chinti, what's your experience on riding, building, maintaining bikes and the like? Can you build a bike in the first place? We don't know without more information. Can other people do it? Sure, read the threads. Why Chinese? Why Tiagra or 105? What's your end bike going to be used for? Your budget is good but what other parts do you want to use? Keep asking questions but detailed questions please.

Chinti, what's your experience on riding, building, maintaining bikes and the like? Can you build a bike in the first place? We don't know without more information. Can other people do it? Sure, read the threads. Why Chinese? Why Tiagra or 105? What's your end bike going to be used for? Your budget is good but what other parts do you want to use? Keep asking questions but detailed questions please.
im a beginner when it come to riding, started riding last fall. not much experience in building a bike but i do maintain my bike well. i sold my specialized allez elite as im graduating and going home. i got a friend back home that had built a lot of bike could help me built it. i choose chinese cause this bike will be staying at home and i don't wanna spend too much on it just in case im moving. tiagra or 105 cause im still a beginner and don't think i need anymore higher than those. this bike will be use for daily ride. as for parts i'm still thinking about it. i will read more and come back with more specific questions. thanks for the advise.

How about this? It's ready-made. The frame is alumin(i)um rather than carbon; this won't matter. I guess that the frame is made in China, but am not sure; this won't matter. The parts are Sora, which is cheaper than Tiagra; this won't matter. It comes in a generous variety of sizes. It costs less than half your budget, which might matter. Bike theft isn't as common in Japan as it is in most of the rest of the world but it's still pretty common; if this is stolen, you might be less heartbroken than if if was something that cost over twice as much and whose list of parts you'd spent time on. You'll have to buy pedals; they're cheap.

With a stated budget of Y150,000, the one route I would NOT take is to get an unknown Chinese carbon frame and build it up.

First, building a bike isn't just about experience, it is also about tools. Cranksets and cassettes both require brand specific tools, a torque wrench would really be useful, as well as a chain breaker, a cable cutter, a good set of hex wrenches, a chain joiner, preferably a bike stand--at the very least.

Second, even if you do decide to go for a complete build, why not get a known brand frame (NOS or great used condition, available here or elsewhere)--there are many great frames that would fit into your budget.

Third, there are many good bikes already built in your price point--new, or even better, slightly used, where you can get a bike that retailed at two or three times your price point, just a few years ago.

Those three routes make a lot more sense that going off blind, buying an unknown frame, and then getting a brand new 105 (or whatever) groupset. Remember too that building out from a frame, new or used, isn't just a question of adding a suitable groupset. You will need a wheelset (at least Y20,000) tires and tubes (Y10,000?), a saddle (Y10,000?), pedals (Y10,000+?), pedal-cleated shoes (Y10,000?), handlebar, stem, bar tape, bike computer, bottle cages, and probably a few other things.

Good luck.

Last edited:
^good points but also a good giggle about your not so subtle sales technique. Haha.

And I know this is a regularly thrown out suggestion, but for 1500usd you could pretty much get yourself a brand new 105 CAAD10

With a stated budget of Y150,000, the one route I would NOT take is to get an unknown Chinese carbon frame and build it up.

First, building a bike isn't just about experience, it is also about tools. Cranksets and cassettes both require brand specific tools, a torque wrench would really be useful, as well as a chain breaker, a cable cutter, a good set of hex wrenches, a chain joiner, preferably a bike stand--at the very least.

Second, even if you do decide to go for a complete build, why not get a known brand frame (NOS or great used condition, available here or elsewhere)--there are many great frames that would fit into your budget.

Third, there are many good bikes already built in your price point--new, or even better, slightly used, where you can get a bike that retailed at two or three times your price point, just a few years ago.

Those three routes make a lot more sense that going off blind, buying an unknown frame, and then getting a brand new 105 (or whatever) groupset. Remember too that building out from a frame, new or used, isn't just a question of adding a suitable groupset. You will need a wheelset (at least Y20,000) tires and tubes (Y10,000?), a saddle (Y10,000?), peddles (Y10,000+?), peddle-cleated shoes (Y10,000?), handlebar, stem, bar tape, bike computer, bottle cages, and probably a few other things.

Good luck.

And I know this is a regularly thrown out suggestion, but for 1500usd you could pretty much get yourself a brand new 105 CAAD10
thanks for the suggestion and advise, i decided to increase my budget to 200,000 yen and i have contacted gsastuto about a custom bike. hope i can work something out with him.

You'd be a fool to consider anything other than a Canyon. They make amazing bikes and for what you get , they are fantastically priced.

This is what I'd get if I were you

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3694

The same frame but the lower spec 7.0 looks fantastic but availability is very limited due to it being so popular. If you are really smal or really big you might be lucky.
Canyon bikes are winning everything at the moment so you'd better get one quickly before they all sell out. Their endurance AL also looks like a fine bike. You can get a full Ultegra bike for under ¥150,000 with mavic wheels. Definitely worth a look.

You'd be a fool to consider anything other than a Canyon. They make amazing bikes and for what you get , they are fantastically priced.

The same frame but the lower spec 7.0 looks fantastic but availability is very limited due to it being so popular. If you are really smal or really big you might be lucky.
Canyon bikes are winning everything at the moment so you'd better get one quickly before they all sell out. Their endurance AL also looks like a fine bike. You can get a full Ultegra bike for under ¥150,000 with mavic wheels. Definitely worth a look.
i rode a size 52 bike. wow i never really check them out as they are kind expensive the last time i checked. will definitely take a look at it.

Absolutely this, no question.

thanks for the suggestion and advise, i decided to increase my budget to 200,000 yen and i have contacted gsastuto about a custom bike. hope i can work something out with him.
I'm riding one of Tim's bicycle and he did set me up with a bicycle within my budget. But as others have observed, patience is needed.

That said, this Canyon is within your new budget: https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3694
180,173 JPY shipped to your door.
If you give up the carbon frame and go to an alloy, a lot more options are available.

But if you are new to cycling, going through a LBS (local bike store) to get it setup and after sale support is a better option.

But if you are new to cycling, going through a LBS (local bike store) to get it setup and after sale support is a better option.

This is partially true, but we here on TCC, as a collective of people who help eachother out for free, can offer exactly the same level of setup expertise (bettter, imo), and after sales service (replacing parts,diagnosing, fixing, servicing, etc), that a local bike shop can. This is the power of the internet, and what we have built ourselves over the years we have been in existence.

So, buying online and then letting us as a club help out anyone new to cycling is an entirely viable option. And it is free.

So, @chinti, buy with confidence online, and know that we will sort out any issues you may run into with the technical side. If you need confirmation of this, look in the Bicycle Mechanics forum for clear evidence that we know what we are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom