Tech Chinese carbon clinchers

stu_kawagoe

Speeding Up
Jun 23, 2018
I’ve been looking at Chinese wheels and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Also, what do you think about that kind of wear on the breaking surface on the wheels at 12,000km in the video? I’m figuring that in my part of Saitama my rims are going to take more of a hammering with all the steep descents.

Any other comments about the video and Chinese parts in general appreciated too.

Last edited:

dastott

Speeding Up
May 10, 2012
Fukuoka
Seeing as nobody has responded, I'll chime in with my experience. Have owned 2 sets of carbon clinchers:

1) First set were bought second hand from a member on here. 50mm deep, not sure of the maker. From the start the front had brake pulsing because the top lip of the brake track (the part nearest the tyre) has deformed slightly and slightly protrudes. By setting the brake pads lower down on the brake track fixed the issue but braking performance was poor anyway.

2) Have owned a set of new Farsports 60mm clinchers since January. Don't use the front so much because of the poor braking and it's difficult to handle on windy days (I live on the coast). The braking is noticeably worse than a set of Farsports carbon tubulars I bought at the same time. Even though I haven't used it much the front has developed the same issue whereby the top lip of the brake track has deformed slightly and slightly protrudes. Again setting the brake pads lower down on the brake track fixes the issue. The rear soon went out of true which neither myself or an LBS have been able to fix perfectly. LBS suggests the rim is slightly bent. It hasn't been used on any dodgy surfaces. They look great though and I still use them (especially the rear).

In conclusion, quite hesitant to recommend Chinese carbon clinchers. If buying again would look at Light Bicycle or Yoeleo (the ones in the video above). They are fine for flat rides or TTs but definitely not for rides in the mountains with technical descents. If searching for more speed why not try latex tubes in alloy clinchers? Something I definitely wouldn't try in carbon clinchers.

TokyoLiving

Maximum Pace
Dec 9, 2015
There are so many companies selling wheels these days the prices are so competitive. No need to cut costs and risk danger buying wheels for China unless legitimately reputable and have a number of positive reviews.

dastott

Speeding Up
May 10, 2012
Fukuoka
There are so many companies selling wheels these days the prices are so competitive. No need to cut costs and risk danger buying wheels for China unless legitimately reputable and have a number of positive reviews.
That’s the thing, Farsports are probably the most well known of the Chinese makers. I had good experiences with their tubular rims before buying the clinchers so was surprised that the braking on the clinchers wasn’t as good. Both tubular and clinchers are equally poor riding in the rain. At those times, descending in the wet is pretty scary. Unless you are a very confident descender, stick to alloy clinchers would be my advice.

stu_kawagoe

Speeding Up
Jun 23, 2018
Thanks for the advice, guys. Kind of what I expected to hear. I may have about 5 man to spend on wheels if my plan to get my bike refurbished comes together, so I'll start looking more closely at name brand alloys in that price range from now on. Sadly, the carbon wheels for the same money on Amazon are just too good to be true - look good though.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
I would only buy carbon Tubular wheels from China. I’ve had a pair of tubs from farsport since around 2014 and the braking surface is pretty crappy now. They don’t stop anything like my Enve 2.2 tubs. I wouldn’t buy carbon clinchers from any brand to be honest. I know of one friend whose Enve carbon clincher exploded after a lot of descending so it’s not just the Chinese ones that do it.

Apr 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't have any experience with carbon wheels but also got interested in the Yoeleo brand after seeing the above video a while ago. At the time I found another blog from an American cyclists writing about their carbon wheels. He got his 3rd set of wheels free of charge "for testing" (and blogging about it). I guess that type of promotion is all ok as long as it is disclosed. Just something to keep in mind...

stu_kawagoe

Speeding Up
Jun 23, 2018
@Christianism yeah, navigating the whole review industry is tough.

@leicaman useful to know about the problems with carbon clinchers in general as I had no idea.

As far as I can tell, you can’t buy Farsports, Light Bicycle or Yoeleo on Amazon Japan. The main Chinese brands they appear to deal with are ICAN, IMUST and Hulk.

I’ve actually started looking at the Campagnolo C17 Zondas now which seem to be pretty decent for the money.

dastott

Speeding Up
May 10, 2012
Fukuoka
As far as I can tell, you can’t buy Farsports, Light Bicycle or Yoeleo on Amazon Japan. The main Chinese brands they appear to deal with are ICAN, IMUST and Hulk.
I have never heard of any of those brands. The Chinese makers will sell direct on Ali Express. You probably wont have to pay customs charges but you will have to pay for shipping. Decent clinchers like the Zondas will most likely prove more durable and practical for rides in the glorious Japanese countryside.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
I've used the Zonda C17 as training wheels for the last year and can't fault them. If you can find a good deal on them, the new Fulcrum Racing 3 C17 wheels are also made by Campagnolo but 50 g lighter than Zonda C17.
I use Chinese carbon wheels for racing but only tubular. Bought from the Farsports store on AliExpress.

Jun 23, 2018
Good to know the Zondas are recommended. I’ve never bought through aliexpress before but that site also looks to have pretty competitive prices and a good range of cycling stuff. Thanks again everyone for the useful advice.