What's new

chichibu haikyo ride

jackonaboardman

Speeding Up
Jul 2, 2012
hello,

newbie here!

I'm thinking of heading up to chichibu on the train on Saturday morning with a few other cycling mates. None of us are particularly fit or overly fast but we 're all enthusiastic and enjoy a good ride.

The plan will be to follow the loop section of this ride:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1137058

and then cycle back as far as we feel capable. Can anyone give me a fix on where the abandoned town is on the loop as thats the main idea of the trip for us.

If anyone else is game please feel free to drop me a line

fingers crossed the weather will be ok on the day!

The abandoned buildings are right at the 127km marker.

Sorry to appear ignorant, but where is the 127km marker? is it next to the chicibukosan post office? I'm assuming that after converting 127km into miles and that coming to 78 which is about next to that.

Ok figured that little mess out now having changed it from miles to km!

thanks!

You're welcome! I was just talking to Eugen "Bird" this past weekend about this and am planning on doing this ride again, but will almost certainly cycle out from Tokyo. Are you set on doing the ride this coming Saturday or are you flexible?

I'm thinking this Sat would suit me best as I'd like to do a bit of a recon on the route, the following weekend is looking like being a 2/3 day ride including this and possibly a stop off at haikyo site that used to be a volcano museum with a few mates.

When are you thinking of going?

Also, as a side note. The ride from Tokyo might make it a bit on the long side for me, I'm still building up to doing 100k plus rides that include hills of that calibre.

this is genius, though I fear I'm breaking more than one of the rules out of ignorance.... I shall do my best to mend my ways:(

Forget the rules, rules are for control freaks. Not saying Joe is a control freak but really do we want to end up like North Korea?

I mostly quote those "rules" in humour, as I violate many if not most myself :)

I'm thinking this Sat would suit me best as I'd like to do a bit of a recon on the route, the following weekend is looking like being a 2/3 day ride including this and possibly a stop off at haikyo site that used to be a volcano museum with a few mates.

When are you thinking of going?

Also, as a side note. The ride from Tokyo might make it a bit on the long side for me, I'm still building up to doing 100k plus rides that include hills of that calibre.

I need to coordinate with Eugen and Kevin as to when we'll be heading out. At this point it's most likely not going to be this weekend or next. As we'll be cycing out from Tokyo, I'll start a thread as soon as we get it nailed down.

Forget the rules, rules are for control freaks. Not saying Joe is a control freak but really do we want to end up like North Korea?

IMHO, "The Rules" are best viewed not as strict,enflexible rules, but as strong recommendations and guidelines. At the end of the day you are, of course, free to do what you like, but you'd do well to take a good read through the list. There is a lot of knowledge and cycling culture there!

Glad to hear that it worked out well and that you enjoyed it! As I mentioned earlier, I'll be leading another ride out there also. I just posted it HERE.

I might catch you at chichibu as I found it pretty brutal but would love to do it again. The descent was insanely good into Ueno rather than chichibu so I'd like to give the rest of the loop a go.

I might catch you at chichibu as I found it pretty brutal but would love to do it again. The descent was insanely good into Ueno rather than chichibu so I'd like to give the rest of the loop a go.

Yeah the descent out the northwest side of Shigasaka-toge is a nice one! And, of course, your welcome to join us. We'll be stopping at the Mecca Shopping Center in Chichibu to refuel if you want to meet us there.

Back
Top Bottom