What's new

Chichibu, #299 & Kannako - Saturday, May 5th

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
As is usual as of late, riding up the Arakawa, over the Green Line and Ono Toge, descending down into Chichibu. From there we'll be heading out Route #299 to the 2nd climb of the day. Once we've crested the 2nd climb we'll descend to Route #462 where we will head down the valley passing Kanna Lake and the dam, continuing on to Jinbohara Station (Takasaki Line) where we'll hop a train back to Tokyo.

All climbs will be wait at the top (WATT). There'll be plenty of climbing, descending, greenery, and countless miles of beautiful rindos! If you are capable and interested please, join us!

INFO:
Meet Time: 6:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1700-2100m
Distance: 170-180km
Route: HERE

For those with a good sense of direction, at the top of the 2nd climb is the side rindo that we'll be coming out of on Sunday on our way out of Nichitsu. This ride will help us gauge the conditions for Sunday's ride. See here for info on that ride: LINK

At this point the forecast is calling for a clear sunny day, so don't forget your sunscreen!

Are you doing this and then the Ghost Town ride the next day?

If so, that is some hefty riding you are putting in!

Would love to, but I need to choose 1, as I have things to do, places to be seen and all that (doctors appointment, unglamourously)

At this moment, I am erring on the side of the Sunday one, as I want to see this ghost town and as both will be coming back on the train and going through Omiya, I am pretty much free to choose.

Hmmm

Will think about it and see how flexible my shrink is.

Would love to, but I need to choose 1, as I have things to do, places to be seen and all that (doctors appointment, unglamourously)

At this moment, I am erring on the side of the Sunday one, as I want to see this ghost town and as both will be coming back on the train and going through Omiya, I am pretty much free to choose.

Hmmm

Will think about it and see how flexible my shrink is.

Yeah, if you have to choose one or the other, Sunday's ghost town ride will definitely be more unique and memorable!

Pete, I would like to join the ride Saturday, as I have to work on Sunday.

Pete, I would like to join the ride Saturday, as I have to work on Sunday.

Great Kevin, I look forward to it. FYI, Takaaki has signed on as well. And for the record, this is going to be a pretty nice ride! The valley above and around Kanna Lake is particularly scenic!

Pete, it is good to hear that our new friend, Takaaki, will join us on this one. I look forward to taking in the scenery while getting in some hill climbs.

You seem to always have the best routes planned. I'm thinking I might cancel my swim at zushi (mainly because its too cold to swim and this ride is much more amazing)

Great route, Pete.
As I'll be returning from Osaka on Saturday afternoon, I can't join this one.
(But definitely going to Nicchitsu on Sunday)

If I remember correctly, there's a section called "melody line" somewhere along Kannako. The road is paved with several grain sizes making tyre noises in different pitch. If you drive there by car at constant speed, you'll hear some music.

Eugen

Great route, Pete.

If I remember correctly, there's a section called "melody line" somewhere along Kannako. The road is paved with several grain sizes making tyre noises in different pitch. If you drive there by car at constant speed, you'll hear some music.

Eugen

The Melody Line, eh? Interesting idea! I'll be sure to keep an eye (and ear) out for it. I knew you weren't going to make this one, but see you Sunday morning!

Great route, Pete.

Eugen

Yeah, your speed is supposed to be a constant 40km/h. Have tried it many times...but no koinobori or whatever tune it is supposed to be has entered my ears...:D

I drove over "melody line" on my way to Kusatsu onsen. At about 50km/h, there was some kind of Japanese tune. Novel.

Can we hear it on a bicycle? Perhaps if we used disc wheels, there would be enough road noise?

Dave

Seeing as the rain is looking like returning on Sunday. I will join this ride now!

See you at the spaceship!!:cool:

I drove over "melody line" on my way to Kusatsu onsen. At about 50km/h, there was some kind of Japanese tune. Novel.

Can we hear it on a bicycle? Perhaps if we used disc wheels, there would be enough road noise?

Dave

Dave, are you in?

Seeing as the rain is looking like returning on Sunday. I will join this ride now!

See you at the spaceship!!:cool:

OK, sounds good! See you at the spaceship!

Chichibu, #299 & Kannako - Saturday, *May* 5th

The thread title is misleading...

Pete. Yeah, I decided on the Sunday ride, so hope the weather is good.

Joe. What should it read? Suggest an alternative and I will change it.

Back
Top Bottom