basilleroux

Maximum Pace
Jun 26, 2011
Weather permitting will be heading over to Chiba. Details as follows:

Start: Sakura Station (South Exit)
Day: Saturday Dec 8th
Time: Rollout around 8:45 AM, back 4 pm
Finish: Sakura Station
Pace: Moderate to quick road bike pace (average 30kmph+), with 2 stops so not recommended for beginners.
Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1957896
Distance: 170 kms

Travel details: Coming out to Sakura JR, the best option by far is the Shiosai Tokkyu (Special Express) which is direct out of Tokyo, no change at Chiba required. It's an extra 900 yen, but worth the change, in my experience:

JR特急しおさい1号
Departs Tokyo 7:37 (stops also at Kinshicho on the Sobu Line), arrives Sakura 8:24.

Other option:
JR Yokosuka/Sobu Kaisoku out of Tokyo:
7:24 out of Tokyo, change at Chiba to Narita Line (8:20). Arrives Sakura 8:38.

OK -- On my ride with Basil this morning, I confirmed I'm in. I may also bring a tow strap with me to attach to Basil's seat post to pull me for the final 30km or so.

Phil, Olav - I look forward to riding with you both again.

Are there any other takers?

May be in

Hi guys,

I may be in for the ride, but am a bit worried I'd be holding you back. I injured my knee in Sydney last week, and will have to test how riding will work for me.

In short, if I am there, I am there. Otherwise ride on.

Cheers,
Norman

See everyone tomorrow at the south exit. Aiming to be there about 8:35.

Really looking forward to this one!

Well that was fun!

Never experienced wind like that - 1st 85 km we averaged 32 kmh and for the final 68 km that was down to 24 kmh on virtually identical power.

Thanks to Tom, Phil and Olav.

Cripes, my second "extreme weather" ride in a row, this time a truly ferocious headwind roaring down the Tone for 70 looooong kms. After soft pedaling at 40 km/hr+ most of the way up the coast, we knew we had it coming, but I wasn't expecting to be quite so bad. At one point on the Inbanuma bike path we were all leaned over at 20 degrees into the crosswind, just trying to stay on the path. Reminded me of this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snuHS5cehh0

Anyway, great fun regardless. Thanks to Basil, Olav, and Tom for the excellent company, and especially Basil and Olav for doing the lion's share of the pulls.

hehe, hilarious clip Phil. Thanks for another great day out there chaps - and I'll do my best to get rid of the bad weather curse I seem to be bringing

Basil -- Thanks again for organizing another great ride.

Phil and Olav -- It was great riding together again.

I look forward to the next one, hopefully with much less wind-- that was insane!

Tom

Back
Top Bottom