What's new

Ride Chiba dirt / mud / rindo exploring

hat and beard

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
A loop of dirt roads and rindos starting at the Tokyo Bay Ferry in Kanaya, Chiba. Perfect for a cyclocross bike / rigid mountain bike / fat tired touring bike. In total a little less than half off road. Only 70 k in total but lots of steep climbing and maybe a bit of hiking. We can also explore some side trails time / legs permitting. How about it @bloaker @Half-Fast Mike ? Anyone else?

I'm free weekends in the end of June or beginning of July. If that doesn't work for anyone I have a ton of free time in August. Anyone interested let's work out a date and time together.

August is more of a go for me.
The next 4 weeks are a no go. :(

But YES! I do want to make it happen.

August sounds good, I can join except the first weekend of August. Would also like to join the castle to castle ride but it is really far away...

Is there any chance that we actually can do a two days tour with one day just camping out somewhere? Just wondering.

How does August 8th or 9th work for everyone?

Is there any chance that we actually can do a two days tour with one day just camping out somewhere? Just wondering.

I'd rather not camp in Chiba in August, but I'd definitely be up for doing something like that once summer begins to fade away. There are a few nice spots to camp in the area, some more legal than others.

August 8th or 9th works for me. Looking forward to it.

This one is a ferry from Kurihama.

For future reference, I have a luxury van and could pick up four or five bodies and bikes in the Futagotamagawa Freedom Zone to cart them across the Aqualine in the morning and back afterwards. The only condition would be that there is a bath and change of clothes between finishing ride and getting back in van! (Don't care how sweaty the ferry gets.)

I am back home and looking forward to getting this ride done!
I hope the heat is not overbearing - but regardless, I will have fun!

How's Saturday August 8th work for everyone? To avoid the heat as much as possible I'm thinking you lads take the first ferry leaving from Kurihama at 6:20 and arrive at Kanaya around 7:00. I'll cycle down from Sodegaura early in the morning and meet you at the Kanaya ferry dock. If that doesn't work I don't mind starting later in the day or on Sunday.
How about it @bloaker @Half-Fast Mike @AlexGiesswein ? Anyone else?

Thank you for the suggestions, @hat and beard

It turns out that @AlexGiesswein and I live very close together and it would be almost trivial for us to get in a car and drive over by Aqualine. Could that be made to fit into the plan? e.g. If you are coming from Sodegaura maybe we could pick you up there too. If not, no problem: ferry it is. It would have to be later, though - the first train from near us gets to Kurihama around 6.45 with some awkward changes, and I don't think riding 70 km to Kurihama would leave me in good shape for the rest of the day.

@bloaker please report status

Stephen is possibly going to join us as well. I am trying to get a hold of him to make sure he can get up that early. :)
He will be driving out from Sagimahara. We will probably meet in Yokosuka and head out the ferry from there by bike.

Hopefully none of this ...

10687320_10152819792612808_2536266590447929535_o.jpg

Reactions: jdd
@Half-Fast Mike Yeah, that would be perfect. I live right off the Aqua Line exit in Sodegaura in a nearly abandoned apartment complex, so you can park at my place for free. I'll send you a Google pinpoint later.

@bloaker Sounds good. You can also park at my place if you want and we can all go down together. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the fallen tree isn't there anymore.

I live much closer to the Ferry, so I will ride to the ferry from my house. No need for a car and coordinating with Stephen that way.

@Half-Fast Mike
I think I misunderstood you. Did you mean drive to Sodegaura and take a train the rest of the way to Kanaya, or pick me up in Sodegaura and drive the whole way? Either way works for me.

@Half-Fast Mike
I think I misunderstood you. Did you mean drive to Sodegaura and take a train the rest of the way to Kanaya, or pick me up in Sodegaura and drive the whole way? Either way works for me.
I probably wasn't clear, but I meant the latter.

The tyres currently on my CX bike are great for road, grass and gravel, but would not work well in deep mud. I have proper knobblies available, too. Which would be best for this ride?

Mike if it is like last time, I did with with 700x34 tire3.
My fargo has 29x2.2 on it now. I am planning on changing back to the 700x34s for this ride.

Back
Top Bottom