What's new

Tech cheap torque wrench

TokyoTurtle

Speeding Up
Jun 6, 2013
Hi all,

Need an inexpensive torque wrench for a build I'm working on. I say inexpensive as the only part I really need it for is the carbon seat tube and saddle clamp. Anyone know of a good one to look for or even have a 2nd hand one for sale?

Cheers

Get a Ritchey " torque key". it's very small and is set to 5 N so you don't over tighten.
Or just use a regular T hex wrench and use it holding the T part. I find this is almost exactly the same at the 5N on the Ritchey!

Last edited:
It has been my experience (with motorcycle cylinder heads) that a cheap torque wrench is worse than no torque wrench.

better you (a) buy a good one to keep till you die or (b) take it to a bike shop/ friend with a good torque wrench.

I agree that you should fork out for a good one. Once you have one you will wonder how you ever lived without one.

How about Tokyo Turtle buy some posh mineral water( he isn't drinking carbs?) for HFM as payment for getting his seat stuff torqued?

It has been my experience (with motorcycle cylinder heads) that a cheap torque wrench is worse than no torque wrench.

What about this
640px-1980_c1980_Torque_wrench%2C_140ft-lbs_19.36m-kg%2C_nominally_14-20in%2C_.5in_socket_drive%2C_Craftsman_44641_WF%2C_Sears_dtl.jpg

simple kind of torque wrench? It's cheap. It might get decentred, whereupon you'd either recentre it or take the offcentredness into account. And I suppose that if it suffered from more than merely surface corrosion it would be off. And yes of course it can be hard to contort oneself to read it while using it. But otherwise, what's wrong?

How about Tokyo Turtle buy some posh mineral water( he isn't drinking carbs?) for HFM as payment for getting his seat stuff torqued?

That sounds nice, or paying Tim to do it for me with a beer, or paying an LBS with money, but then what do I do next time I need to adjust? And the next time?

I need one of my own, just not an expensive one that I'll only use 1-2 times a year for one part on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom