What's new

Cheap Tools

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Just to let you all know Sports Authority has a sale on at the moment and the Cycling dept has a Shimano Chain Gauge up for grabes at 50% off.

Great tool for checking if you need your chain replacing rather than leaving it to guess work.

Currently a little over 2,000 Yen.

chain wear indicator

I liken a chain wear indicator to a dipstick in the car. Ben Oliver the Bissel Cylcling team mechanic said it best when he said changing your chain is the best preventitive maintinence you can do to up keep your drivetrain. He also goes on talking about how he changes the chains on there bikes as often as every important race or tour (sometimes weekly) and said he will use a cassette a whole season in some cases.
Change your chain, prevent gear valleys from widening faster than with a stretched chain.

I usually change my chain at the 80% mark on my Pro Link chain gaige. I likem fresh.

I've worked out that I pretty much need to change my chain every 4 to 6 months depending on races or training.

James, do you use a chain gauge or feel how tight the chain runs over the big ring?

I bought a chain gauge.

But a new chain will measure 12 inches over 12 full links, once it's over this length its time to get a new chain ;D

Back
Top Bottom