What's new

Cheap Grease

ikedawilliams

Speeding Up
Oct 15, 2010
Where can I pick up some cheap grease? Grease is grease, right? I think I should be able to pick up a tub for 500 yen or less. Y's wants about 1,350 for a small tube of it. I went to a 100 yen Daiso today and to Donki, but no luck. Any suggestions? I am looking for something cheap, but also convenient. I don't really want to go all the way down to Costco and buy a membership just to get some grease but figure there must be some around, but I just can't find it.

depends what you are going to use it for.

I wanted to put some in my BB, and seat post. I know there is separate grease for carbon seat posts in aluminum frames, but was hoping, for now, to just have a tub of grease I could use for bolts etc. Any tips?

have you tried a smaller neighborhood bike shop? i've got some red michelin grease that i think i picked up at a smaller shop that i use for BB, headset and stuff.

Thanks. I will give that a try. I was sure I would be able to get something at a 100 yen shop. They seem to have everything usually. Not to worry. I will come up with something.

I wanted to put some in my BB, and seat post. I know there is separate grease for carbon seat posts in aluminum frames, but was hoping, for now, to just have a tub of grease I could use for bolts etc. Any tips?

Mate all grease is not the same..just look at Marine grease to ACOR cycling grease.... huge difference.

For all round bikey grease just buy a tub of Dura Ace special grease. It lasts bloody ages as you don't really need a lot.

Also in regards to BB. what type of BB are you using ? sealed cup bottom bracket or the older type?

Sealed cup.

Thanks for the tip on the DA ''special'' grease. I have seen it, but always thought there was some special DA part that it was made for, which was over my head. I'll pick some up.

Oh, and I didn't think that one type of funky greasy was the same as some other type of random exotic grease, more like, regular all-purpose grease shouldn't vary so much. I just don't want bearings and bolts to stick together. :)

Erm how do you intend to use the grease on a sealed cup BB? They aren't supposed to be opened up and its one of the reasons why they are so cheap.... 3,000 JPY for the DuraAce BB and I think the 105 is probably the same price as a Happy meal?

If its creaking or grinding bin it and replace it, also cheaper than buyingthe grease if you run 105 :D

Not cheap but free!

Cook some sausages. Let the pan cool and hey presto.....
FREE GREASE!

Not forgetting that you also get to eat the yummy sausages!

You spent tens of thousands of yen on bike gear and want to skimp on protection for that investment? Give up two beers next weekend and buy some good stuff!

Lithium grease...

...is creamy white and therefore a lot less "messy" to use as a general lube for bolts and bearings. Most car shops and DYIs have it, and a large tub is reasonably cheap and will last decades if used sparingly. Personally, I use the Dura Ace Grease, which I am guessing is lithium-based, because it's purpose-rated.

As FarEast points out, though, all greases are equal, but some greases are more equal than others. You probably ought to dig a little deeper into your budget and get the right stuff for finicky carbon seat posts, and special bearings.

Oh, anyone remember this?
Grease is the word
Grease is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got groove it's got meaning
Grease is the time, is the place is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling:happy1:

Thanks for all the tips. What I wanted was to know where I could buy a tub of all purpose grease that I could use on my bike for times when I need to put bolts in it etc and did not want to have to buy 4 or 5 types of lube (a seperate formula for each part I was putting into or onto by bike. As for the BB, I have not taken it out yet, but thought that it screwed into the frame and I wanted to put some, (well, I would settle for just about bacon grease just about now) thing on the threads, but now I am thinking there is no need for this. I will need to open it up and see what is inside. I was originally thinking someone my say, oh yah, XYZ 100 Yen shop has something, but no dice. Oh well. I learned a bit and need to get things in working order for a ride tomorrow, hoping the weather is as good as it has been this week.

Oh, anyone remember this?
Grease is the word
Grease is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got groove it's got meaning
Grease is the time, is the place is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling:happy1:
Only works on HYDROMATIC, SYSTEMATIC versions.

Thanks for all the tips. What I wanted was to know where I could buy a tub of all purpose grease that I could use on my bike for times when I need to put bolts in it etc and did not want to have to buy 4 or 5 types of lube (a seperate formula for each part I was putting into or onto by bike.
John - there's a JMS ("James"?) motorist/tyre center on R246 just between Futago-shinchi and Takatsu. They'll have some general-purpose grease.

I have a medium-sized tub which I bought many years ago when I was more into motorcycling. I decanted a little into a plastic ointment dish and keep it in my toolbox. You're welcome to some if you want to wrestle your bike up my little mountain!

Yah, there we go. Come to think of it, I think there is an Autobacs across from the Toy's-R-Us too. I will have a wonder down there and pick something up.

Thanks for the offer to come by. I will pass for now, but may hit you up in the future. Cheers.

OK, it is not an Autobacs, it is a JMS, and the main building which is for cars, did not have any regular grease. I even asked the staff to make sure, and they were like, um, yah... we usually have it but now we don't have it. Based on this epic grease legacy of mine, I figured it was par for the course and proceeded to drop off some DVDs, but then saw some motorbike shop. The entrance was really small and I thought it was for repairs only, but based on the comment about it being a motorcycle shop, decided to get a better look. They had a whole wall of grease and I was able to get a big 80gm tube and a jumbo can of WD-40 (aka 5-56) both for under 1,000 yen so I was happy.

I'm way late to this, but I bought a little tub of the Shimano Durace grease that James mentions five years ago with my first bike in Japan, and it's still 1/3 full; and I use it for everything, greasing seatposts, bolts, quick releases etc. Think it cost 1000 yen or so.

Stuff is magic.... last forever!

This pot once belong to my great grandfather, its been passed down from generation to generation and finally it is in my tool box.

Ok, its not that old but bought it about 5 years ago, a small amount goes a very, very long way!

photogsr.jpg

Yeah, exactly. That's about how much I have left in mine... :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom