Cheap dates

rommelgc

Maximum Pace
Sep 3, 2009
Setagaya
(catchy) but not those kind of dates ... I mean dates (fruit) and other fruits (fig, etc).

Haven't found them in my local shops. Found them some stations away but they only have the imported (and expensive, > 500yen for 100grams) ones.

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
(catchy) but not those kind of dates ... I mean dates (fruit) and other fruits (fig, etc).

Haven't found them in my local shops. Found them some stations away but they only have the imported (and expensive, > 500yen for 100grams) ones.
You could try an online Halal grocery shop..
http://www.baticrom.com
Or have a wife who travels to Iran twice a year and always brings you back the best dates from Bam, those mini semi dried figs and walnuts. If you try a taste test with Iranian walnuts versus those pulpy high water content crap grown in California, you'll never buy from Costco again!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Shin okubo halal store has plenty. I get some.from Saudi friends as well. Fresh dates another issue. Only rarely in Japan. If ur looking to increase carb efficiently, then also consider ogliosacharides. Cheap and easily obtained in Japan.

Sent from my SBM103SH using Tapatalk 2

rommelgc

Maximum Pace
Sep 3, 2009
Setagaya
Shin okubo halal store has plenty. I get some.from Saudi friends as well. Fresh dates another issue. Only rarely in Japan. If ur looking to increase carb efficiently, then also consider ogliosacharides. Cheap and easily obtained in Japan.
Thanks for the tip. Shin-Ookubo deserves a sampo this weekend.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I have em in my morning porridge, with fresh blueberries (costco), sultanas(costco), raw almonds (costco), and a banana(not costco), delicious and a great recovery from my morning training.

Yes, I picked up 3 packs on Wednesday...throw them in a banana smoothy!

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
I just started getting my cheese from Costco - that plus Waitrose tea from Peacock and there's nothing left to miss from the UK. For us vehicular-restricted people you can order their produce online via either The Foreign Buyer's Club, The Flying Pig, or Yoyo Market. I've only used The Foreign Buyer's Club myself. Yoyo Market also says it does an Ikea shopping & delivery service.

I have em in my morning porridge
Do you get the oats from Costco?

Last edited:

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Hanno, Saitama
I don't have Costco membership, but there are some amazon resellers who buy Quaker oats from Costco and sell it on for a little profit.

I get 4.52kg delivered to my door for under 2000yen. It usually has the Costco sticker still on.

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
I just got 3 packets of medjool dates from costco. Hadn't seen them for a while so I was bought a pile!
I tried those once..... Too hard and dry. Probably OK for cooking or feeding to goats.
The Iranian ones are fresh but need to be refrigerated.
Costco oatmeal is a winner! I threw a handful of banana chips in mine this morning. That big box lasts for ever! Then you realize you still have the second bag!

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I get 4.52kg delivered to my door for under 2000yen. It usually has the Costco sticker still on.
That's about half the price of the Nisshoku Premium Pure Oatmeal I buy locally (about 290 yen for 300g), but then I'd have to find space in my kitchen for the 4.52 kg pack.

Is that Quaker Oats pure oats or is it loaded up with sugar as some of the breakfast oats I've come across while staying at hotels in North America?

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
That's about half the price of the Nisshoku Premium Pure Oatmeal I buy locally (about 290 yen for 300g), but then I'd have to find space in my kitchen for the 4.52 kg pack.

Is that Quaker Oats pure oats or is it loaded up with sugar as some of the breakfast oats I've come across while staying at hotels in North America?
Its Quaker oats from the USA, sugar free and pure. I notice that they are milled a little coarser than Quaker oats Japan version. BTW Direct from Costco the same box is about ¥900!!!

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Hanno, Saitama